Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you feel the first 2 weeks after you were sleeved?

Hello everyone! I have recently come to the conclusion that I want to have the vertical sleeve done. I was curious how you felt the first two weeks after surgery?

I've been very tired. A little sore at the drain incision. Otherwise great!

I was sleeved two weeks ago yesterday. Honestly, I expected much worse and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well I've progressed both physically and with the adjustments to my eating. The drain was the biggest nuisance during the first week, and I have a small hematoma by the main incision, but nothing has limited my activity at all. I've worked my way through fluids to purees and soft foods, and in about a week I'll be lifted of any restrictions food- and activity-wise! I have not felt ANY hunger since the procedure (goodbye, ghrelin!)...I honestly think it's the best decision I've ever made.

Congratulations on making the decision - it's hard to get there mentally, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Hope all goes well for you!

I was sleeved two weeks ago yesterday. Honestly, I expected much worse and I've been pleasantly surprised by how well I've progressed both physically and with the adjustments to my eating. The drain was the biggest nuisance during the first week, and I have a small hematoma by the main incision, but nothing has limited my activity at all. I've worked my way through fluids to purees and soft foods, and in about a week I'll be lifted of any restrictions food- and activity-wise! I have not felt ANY hunger since the procedure (goodbye, ghrelin!)...I honestly think it's the best decision I've ever made.

Congratulations on making the decision - it's hard to get there mentally, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Hope all goes well for you!

Thank you! I am 19 years old and I'm so happy that there is something out there to give me a chance to begin a new life! I am also greatful that I found this opportunity sooner than later!

This really varies from person to person. My experience: exhausted, thirsty, emotional. The first week was the worst because I was getting very little hydration / nutrients. Lots of trial and error with what I could drink and what I wanted to drink. I contiued with exhaustion through week 6. Went back to work after week 2, but had a hard time working a full day.

The up-side is that I really was not in pain and I didn;t feel hunger, although my body was quite depleted.

Lara

Yes everyone is different but that first week is rough, not really because of pain, although there is gas pain but its more of a mental/emotional kind of rough time. I can't really explain it. But by day 8 I was feeling much better. On day 11 I came down with a fever if that hadn't happened I think that second week would have been fine but I was sick. Now at 4 weeks I'm feeling really good. As everyone says, it really does get better every day.

I felt great the first week and tired the second when my blood pressure dropped. I was tired a lot, but still got out and about. Not bad at all!

Hello everyone! I have recently come to the conclusion that I want to have the vertical sleeve done. I was curious how you felt the first two weeks after surgery?

Ooh, the first 2 weeks were not pleasant for me. I was hurting (had gas pains that took over a week to dissipate!), thirsty, frustrated, and really emotional. I was very angry at myself for having to go as far as surgery, even though I knew without a shadow of a doubt that I would NEVER have started losing weight without it--my body clings to every ounce like it's the last one! So the first two weeks were horrid, frankly. Monday was my 3-week mark, and things are MUCH better. I suddenly feel like myself again. I still get thirsty, but I can drink. I am starting to eat "regular" food. I'm realizing that my sleeve and all the eating issues (what do I eat? when? will it be okay?) are not the biggest part of my life if I don't let them be. At this point, it's so much easier just to live and work and go about doing things and not worry.

DH got sleeved about a year ago, and his recovery and advancement were so fast and easy, I think I was expecting the same and was disappointed and frustrated when mine was much more difficult. But little by little, things are better. I went out to lunch today with DH, and I truly enjoyed my few bites of food and the conversation and feeling more or less normal. So I can see that there has been a lot of progress between weeks 2 and 3.

Meg

I dont have a drain but other than that I am in line with FindingMe75. I was sleeved on the 27th so two weeks ago today. I feel really good no pain anymore other that a little muscle soreness on my left side that is less and less each day. I have no hunger at all, just a "weird" feeling when I know i should have a shake. I see my Doc tomorrow and will progress to mushies. Looking forward to some texture. :)

I'm 2 weeks and 1 day post op and i feel great. I'm sleeping easy, getting around fine, no pain except i have some muscular discomfort on right side, but it's just sore and not constant.

Started mushies today and i have no nausea, settles well etc. I go back to work this upcoming monday and i cannot be more thrilled!! i'm so bored here at home laugh.gif

Tomorrow will be one week for me. I'm as lazy as can be. I have no energy to work out. The first couple of days were stressful until I found out I wasn't expected to take in all the recommended liquids. just improve a little every day, which is what I've done and I'm doing fine.

I'm still best friends with my Loritab, I can tell when it wears off for sure. I'm a little gassy, so I take the gas drops. My mood is fine, I sleep like a rock and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

7 days til I go on mushies, and man oh man, I can't wait. (I hope cottage cheese is on that list) I'm craving it bad. smile.gif

I'm 4 weeks Post Op and feeling pretty good. I was surprised as recovery has not been as difficult as expected. No trouble eating or drinking as I have not throw up at all. No trouble with gas (other than in hospital) - not even taking a PPI for gas. I am tired at the end of the day, but other than that I'm feeling pretty normal. My only regret is that I did not do this sooner. I'm 50 years old and have struggled with my weight for a long time. I am down 42 pounds since I started Preop Diet 6 weeks ago and even though I have a long ways to go, I am already feeling and moving better! Good luck to you on your journey.

For some people, the early weeks are hell; others sail right through. There's no way to know ahead of time how you'll do, so my advice would be to prepare yourself for the worst! Imagine the abdominal soreness, some sharper pain around the incisions, some nausea and fatigue...everything that's been mentioned... and then imagine how you're going to handle it. Then hope for the best. :D

I was one of the lucky ones who sailed through. There was some soreness of the abdominal muscles and a little sharp pain when moving around much, but by day 4 I was out shopping and the soreness was gone (except some tenderness to touch). By a week out I was cleaning the house out of boredom, and went back to work at 10 days instead of two weeks out 'cause I didn't see the sense in burning up my vacation time!

So, prepare to be miserable just in case, but hopefully it won't be bad for you. And good luck! :)

The first 3 days after surgery I was tired and a little sore so I just bummed around for those few days. I went back to work the very next week, (as a nurse in the hospital) and had no problems. I actually felt energized!

My first few days were by far the very worst out of any days there after. I did not feel good at all (however, know that I was a revision surgery so mine would naturally be worse than others here). I was in a little pain, but the worse thing for me was the nausea. I did vomit one time. I had a little issue going potty too so they had to give me a catheter. The drain was a pest too... ugghhh...

The first few weeks were tough, little food and calories getting in and it was hard getting enough fluids/water too. I felt very sluggish and tired, and almost in a cloud like state. This cloud didn't really lift until about 6 weeks out when I started to get more solid foods in, as well as being able to get my 64 oz minimum in.

Today I feel perfectly normal and I'm happier than I've ever been in my life!!! I just wanted to keep it real on my first few weeks. It was NOT easy and I did go through it, but here I am now. I made it, and the rewards of the few awful weeks was worth it by far. :)

HTH