Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone - I'm new here. Just started my pre-op diet, and am set for surgery on 5/23. I feel so blessed that I'm able to go ahead with this procedure, so also feel guilty when I ask - does anyone have tips for making these shakes more appetizing? I've barely got down most of my Breakfast, and tried a different flavor at lunch, and it made me gag. I feel like such a baby complaining about it! I know I need the Protein, but just am not sure how I'm going to get it down. I followed the dietician's recommendations and make it with milk and a little fruit and ice - but no dice. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!

Have you tried different brands?

I really like the vanilla EAS brand at the grocery store, but with all of the shakes I have to doctor them up. I typically add Peanut Butter and banana. I know PB has a lot of fat and calories, but I only put in a small dollop. That has been working well for me. I just count the calories.

I've also added cocoa powder and a little bit of sweetener, that kind of makes it taste like hot cocoa mix.

Hi, I am having surgery May 23 also. I have been drinking Chike Protein shakes and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. They are really good. The chike blends better in my opinion and they will send you free samples. You just pay shipping. There is a thread with different recipes for the shakes and different brands and people's opinions.

Are you getting yours from your dr? I tried some from a dr once and it was yuk.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you since you will be drinking these for a while.

I play around with different extracts: vanilla, almond, raspberry, rootbeer, orange, strawberry, banana, etc.. I add a bit of extract of the day to my vanilla Protein shake along with one Equal, three ice cubes and blend. They are really good!! Also there is a chocolate fudge and Peanut Butter flavored Protein Shake sold on Bariatric Eating. The shake is smaller when made, but it delicious and quenches my craving for sweets. My shakes have to be soy free, so maybe it's the soy in the shakes that you have tried that are not to your liking--just a thought.:cheer2:

Keep looking. You'll find one. Keep us posted!

Hi, I am having surgery May 23 also. I have been drinking Chike Protein Shakes and unjury. They are really good. The chike blends better in my opinion and they will send you free samples. You just pay shipping. There is a thread with different recipes for the shakes and different brands and people's opinions.

Are you getting yours from your dr? I tried some from a dr once and it was yuk.

Good luck and I hope things get better for you since you will be drinking these for a while.

Hi, Tiffanie: Congrats on your surgery date! I would buy vanilla Protein because you can blend them with different flavors, frozen unsweet fruits, juices, Peanut Butter, eggs/eggnog flavor blend, extracts, sugar free syrups like chocolate Hershey's, the sf puddings is also a good idea in order to vary textures and tastes. I got my Protein at costco. One is by Premier in premixed chocolate and my vanilla one is by Muscle Milk. They also have a whey protein, but at 40 bucks per 6lbs, I decided to try these first. Also, I use soymilk light or unsweet, and also Almond Breeze in its 40 cal version--both are delicious and good in replacing lactose and milk. Might want to try them.

Good luck!

Hello everyone - I'm new here. Just started my pre-op diet, and am set for surgery on 5/23. I feel so blessed that I'm able to go ahead with this procedure, so also feel guilty when I ask - does anyone have tips for making these shakes more appetizing? I've barely got down most of my Breakfast, and tried a different flavor at lunch, and it made me gag. I feel like such a baby complaining about it! I know I need the protein, but just am not sure how I'm going to get it down. I followed the dietician's recommendations and make it with milk and a little fruit and ice - but no dice. Any suggestions would be most appreciateutd!!!

Everyone's different w/ respect to flavor and taste preference. For example, I do not like the EAS drinks b/c they taste too fake. The ones I'm finding I like the most are Pure Protein, both the chocolate powder and the vanilla, chocolate or Cookies and cream ready to drink shakes. I tried the ready to drink shakes before buying the huge tub of powder. You can find the Pure Protein Powder and ready to drink shakes at Target (that's where I get mine). GNC has the shakes and the Jello, but not the powder.

Good luck! I'm scheduled for the day after you - 5/24. Yikes!

I am scheduled for 5/24 also!! I cant wait.....started the liquid diet on 05/01/2011---- the first 4 days were a nightmare....but just seems to be habbit now......it's strange how you can fall into a whole new routine...love it!! any way.......I buy the whey protien ........vanilla and choc. I make enough in my blender to pour into my shake cups to take to work to last the whole day..... I blend 2 scoops Protein mix......3 tblspn yogurt and Ice and milk......yummmmmmmmm! then I have a small cottage cheese for lunch and 2 egg whites for dinner (sometimes) I'm not that hungry any more so it's hard to get all the shakes in. Good luck to you both on your surgeries!!!!! hope to here from you soon! ps.....low fat yogurt and low fat cottage cheese......

I have been using the Super Advanced Whey Body Fortress from Wal-mart. I don't find the power taste "too bad" on its own but I mix it with crystal light to-go packets and can't taste the powder at all!!!

Have you tried different brands?

I really like the vanilla EAS brand at the grocery store, but with all of the shakes I have to doctor them up. I typically add Peanut Butter and banana. I know PB has a lot of fat and calories, but I only put in a small dollop. That has been working well for me. I just count the calories.

I've also added cocoa powder and a little bit of sweetener, that kind of makes it taste like hot cocoa mix.

I am also having surgery 5/23 with Dr. Alvarez in MX. My BMI is low enough so he said I didn't need a pre-op diet but I'm doing it anyway! There is a web site where you can order individual sample sizes of popular Protein Drinks. www.vitalady.com. I ordered some a few weeks ago. They come in 2oz sample sizes. I kept track of which ones I liked and which ones I didn't. Good luck!

Not sure if you have a Vitamin Shoppe in your area, but their house brand chocolate blends very easily with Water (hand shaken) and kinda tastes like a healthy yoohoo. I'm on day 3 of my pre-op diet and thus i have had 12 shakes and i'm still ok with this one.