Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The past two days I have been having problems with my blood pressure being TOO low. It's been running between 100/60 all the way down to 80/49. Every time I stand up, I get dizzy and lightheaded, like I'm gonna pass out. I'll have to just stand there holding on to something for 10 or fifteen seconds until the feeling passes, then I can go ahead and do whatever I was doing. I am getting all my Vitamins in. I am getting all my Protein in. I called the surgeons office but he's out of the office today so they told me to call my primary doctor. He won't be in until after lunch so I'm waiting for him to call me back. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not on any medications except for my ppi.

How is your Water and salt intake?

The past two days I have been having problems with my blood pressure being TOO low. It's been running between 100/60 all the way down to 80/49. Every time I stand up, I get dizzy and lightheaded, like I'm gonna pass out. I'll have to just stand there holding on to something for 10 or fifteen seconds until the feeling passes, then I can go ahead and do whatever I was doing. I am getting all my Vitamins in. I am getting all my Protein in. I called the surgeons office but he's out of the office today so they told me to call my primary doctor. He won't be in until after lunch so I'm waiting for him to call me back. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not on any medications except for my ppi.

I don't add salt to anything. (until last night when my husband covered my chicken breast in it, trying to bring my bp up) I am getting in about 60 oz of Water, I really try to get more and I do when I'm at work but not at home.

I run very low BP at all times (before surgery and after) and I know what helps me is Water for sure but also enough calories! I don't seem to be as light headed when I have made sure to eat enough and I MUST get some sugar in each day! Good Luck!

I don't add salt to anything. (until last night when my husband covered my chicken breast in it, trying to bring my bp up) I am getting in about 60 oz of Water, I really try to get more and I do when I'm at work but not at home.

Because you're eating less you aren't getting as much sodium in as you normally would. I suggest that you begin salting your food to taste to help.

Every time I've lost weight my BP does a nose dive and I have the exact same issues. My doc said that someone with low BP needs to have even MORE Water than normal to increase the volume. Also she said for me to move my feet around (think Happy Feet!) before I stand and it will help my blood start moving so that when I stand the blood doesn't pool in my extremities and I pass out :) I'm sure I'll have the same issue again when I lose the weight this time.

I have been just like u dear... also I have also been suffering from ow blood pressure occasionaly before my surgery.

my tips are:

1- raise ur salt intake ( not only by adding salt to ur food) but by consuming something which is naturally salted .. nuts, salted cheese.. etc

2- when u feel that black out or the light headed feeling when u stand up .. squeeze ur legs muscel, the blood will automatically leave this place and runs back upward.

3- start walking a lot and strengths ur legs muscles.

hope this helps. and wish u feel better soon.

Thank you to everyone for the great advice! I'm gonna increase my Water and salt intake and my exercise. Hope this helps cuz the doctors office never called back... And I have to add, this is an amazing forum to be a part of!!!

Every time I've lost weight my BP does a nose dive and I have the exact same issues. My doc said that someone with low BP needs to have even MORE Water than normal to increase the volume. Also she said for me to move my feet around (think Happy Feet!) before I stand and it will help my blood start moving so that when I stand the blood doesn't pool in my extremities and I pass out :) I'm sure I'll have the same issue again when I lose the weight this time.

Thank you so much for this reply! I'm going to have to remember it because my bp has always run low (even now that I'm heavy it's only "normal") and like you, it'll drop with the weight loss. TYVM!

Renee`

You may need to get on some low blood pressure meds. I fainted three times in one week, hitting my head on a hard floor the last time. Now I am on medication.

Holybananas! How is your head and are you ok now that you're on medication for it? This is one of my concerns after surgery so thanks to everyone that's replied here!

Renee`

Thank you for that input, Sassy! I'm 5 weeks out and my bp is high and low. I was on a strong bp med and when I'd still take it, mine tanked. So, now I'm on one on an as-needed basis, and I took it for the first time yesterday and my bp dropped 50 pts in an hour! no more! I had NO clue there is a low bp med! I, too, do better with exercise IF I have the energy when it's low to get started! I was so glad to know there is one for low bp in case mine stabilizes at a low point, etc. Very good forum here, I must say!

You may need to get on some low blood pressure meds. I fainted three times in one week, hitting my head on a hard floor the last time. Now I am on medication.

It's called positional/postural orthostatic hypotension. I've had it for over a year, and I still have episodes to this very day. Increase in fluids, sodium intake should be between 1500-2500mg per day, and increased physical activity. One thing that really helps me is wiggling my legs and feet before getting up from a reclined position before standing, or getting out of bed. Use caution when bending at the waist to pick something up off the bottom shelf at the grocery, or off the floor, these are two situations that I find it happens most often. My PCM and surgeon both explained it to me that it is due to sodium intake, and the blood pressure receptors are in our neck (I had cut salt/sodium intake to prevent Water weight since I was below goal, and didn't like seeing the scale bounce up when it's completely normal to see a bounce in maintenance). I also drank regular gatorade or I ate a couple of pedialyte frozen pops for the added electrolytes. They both said that when we lose weight those receptors need time to adjust to our new weight, and sudden movement throw off the receptors. I was having several (more than 5 episodes a day) at first, currently I have 1-2 episodes every week, and it's more related to me jumping up out of bed, or out of the recliner. Also, if you're on a bp med, getting it adjusted should help. Here's a link that helps explain it medically.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/orthostatic-hypotension/DS00997

It's called positional/postural orthostatic hypotension. I've had it for over a year, and I still have episodes to this very day. Increase in fluids, sodium intake should be between 1500-2500mg per day, and increased physical activity. One thing that really helps me is wiggling my legs and feet before getting up from a reclined position before standing, or getting out of bed. Use caution when bending at the waist to pick something up off the bottom shelf at the grocery, or off the floor, these are two situations that I find it happens most often. My PCM and surgeon both explained it to me that it is due to sodium intake, and the blood pressure receptors are in our neck (I had cut salt/sodium intake to prevent Water weight since I was below goal, and didn't like seeing the scale bounce up when it's completely normal to see a bounce in maintenance). I also drank regular gatorade or I ate a couple of pedialyte frozen pops for the added electrolytes. They both said that when we lose weight those receptors need time to adjust to our new weight, and sudden movement throw off the receptors. I was having several (more than 5 episodes a day) at first, currently I have 1-2 episodes every week, and it's more related to me jumping up out of bed, or out of the recliner. Also, if you're on a bp med, getting it adjusted should help. Here's a link that helps explain it medically.

http://www.mayoclini...tension/DS00997

Yes that's exactly what my dr said too. It was so hard to get my personal trainer to not have me do anything involving getting up and down quickly (like burpees)... I nearly passed out each time I tried one!

I think you need to eat more carbs, but check with your doctor ASAP.