Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My cousin had WLS in Nov, so she has been giving me advice on what to expect. One of them was.. depression. I never understood why would anyone be depressed after loosing weight? I am approx 2months post op, lost 36lbs, but why do I feel depressed! She tried to explain why she was sad, which didn't make any sense to me. The reason why I feel this way is because, I feel disappointed. Not sure why. Have any of you been through this, or are going through this? I am sitting at home, feeling very lonely and left out... bleh :mellow:

It is really hard to explain. For me I sometimes mourn the loss of all the foods and it makes me sad. Sometimes I just want to dive right into a good ol cheesburger and fries and it kinda makes me sad because I can't pig out.. Some times Its just there no reason you just have a sucky day and here is nothing you can do about it. when I finally start talking to myself and say you did this for your health etc...etc.. I tend to feel better. but sometimes it is just there. I can tell you to try to focus on positive things, but sometimes it dont' work for me either.. I wish you all the luck in the world, but the busier you stay the less you focus on being blue..

you are right!!!! Instead of sitting here moping I should get up and do something... I am going to take my daughter to the park... sigh.. I hate to say glad I am not the only one feeling like this... but glad I am not alone. thank you

Hey Girlie-

We're surgery sisters having been sleeved on the same day. So, I am literally right where you are. :) And, I can say that I honestly go through the same thing as you. I can blame mine on a mulitude of issues. Here's a quick run-down:

1. I killed my best friend when I was sleeved. Sounds nuts I know, but I turned to food for all of my emotional comfort. Sometimes, I feel sad that it had to come to this to get healthy. And, it's taking my awhile to make new "friends". :)

2. I'm surrounded my social eaters. Everywhere I turn my friends, family and co-workers mark life by what we're serving and who's bringing what dish. When you can't eat a lot and focus on Protein and no carbs this can get depressing.

3. I'm realizing that I blamed a lot of issues in my life on my weight and that simple isn't true. I can't blame my weight for things like my marriage hitting the skids anymore so I have to figure out how to fix it now. It's depressing to realize that I was lazy and blamed my weight and it's depressing sometimes to wade through the crap necessary to fix it all.

4. My mind is ahead of my body. I'm ready for the journey to be over and to begin living life in a normal BMI body. Even though I'm losing weight at warp speed it still doesn't seem fast enough some days. On those less rational days when I see that I haven't come as far as I want, it bums me out.

I think the best thing we can do is take a deep breath and face our personal challenges head on so we can begin to sort them out and ensure a future without food and weight gain as a crutch. For me, that means journaling, talking with the BFF, an occasional therapist visit and venting on here. It's nice to know this group is here help.

Best of luck to you!

Amanda

I totally feel the same. I actually started crying at the grocery store. And then once I got home I cried in the driveway before I brought the groceries in. It's been 3 weeks for me and I'm mourning the loss of food. And my diet is so different than most that I feel lost. I eat only 3 times a day, its all I'm allowed. I can eat eggs meat and cheese and that's it. The meat can be prepared anyway I like. But I'm not allowed any milk or Tomato based products.. its extremely restrictive. So I'm also having a hard time with that. I guess ill feel more normal once I get to add veggies and fruits in.

I've also read that hormones go a bit crazy and out of whack after the surgery so maybe that is part of it?

Either way I hope you're feeling better soon. There is a vast amount of information here and hopefully it will help you out.

Renee`

I have ups and downs, too, at 4 weeks out. But the days I am more active----cleaning, going out to do anything, are the better days. Surgery can zap a lot of energy. Blood pressure highs and lows can, too. Our bodies are asking what on earth we did to them and it's going to just take time. I think we're all in the same boat and have to stay positive!

My cousin had WLS in Nov, so she has been giving me advice on what to expect. One of them was.. depression. I never understood why would anyone be depressed after loosing weight? I am approx 2months post op, lost 36lbs, but why do I feel depressed! She tried to explain why she was sad, which didn't make any sense to me. The reason why I feel this way is because, I feel disappointed. Not sure why. Have any of you been through this, or are going through this? I am sitting at home, feeling very lonely and left out... bleh :mellow:

You definitely are not alone. For me, I think Amanda summed it up completely. I have those same thoughts. But on the other hand I am losing and I try to focus on that and the positive side but still those feelings don't just go away. We're right there w ya!

thank you everyone who comemnted :) I am glad I am not alone. I will just think positive. Good news is that I am now down to 199.8, I was 237 pre op!! awesome!