Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am trying to decide and am doing my research. I know I need to loose weight, although I am happy with myself right now for the most part. I have had back surgery once and it still bothers me. I also have type two diabetes for the last 8 years, and my A1C is unde 8, but keeps increasing. I am now wearing size 28w. I have never been this large in my life. I have tried nutrisystem, weight watchers, and several liquid diets, and a few others over the years. My sister who is a nurse is dead set against me doing a surgery. Frankly, I am not entirely thrilled with the idea either since it is a major surgery. However, all of the other things are not working for me. I am tired of my health going downhill and just want to be able to stand for 5 minutes without breking out in a sweat and my back killing me with pain. I cannot count on support from family or friends which I know will make this harder. My insurance will NOT pay for this - it is specifically excluded. Therefore I will be self pay. The sleeve will be cheaper than bypass for me, and I am considering it for that reason. I went to a seminar already and based on that, I thought bypass would be "better" because according to the stats the doctor provided, it had the better weight loss. I want to loose 120 to 150 pounds. Is this possible with the sleeve? Or would the bypass be better? Or should I not even do surgery and attempt some other method? I know this is a decision that only I can make, but I need info to make the decision. Thanks for listening.

I am trying to decide and am doing my research. I know I need to loose weight, although I am happy with myself right now for the most part. I have had back surgery once and it still bothers me. I also have type two diabetes for the last 8 years, and my A1C is unde 8, but keeps increasing. I am now wearing size 28w. I have never been this large in my life. I have tried nutrisystem, weight watchers, and several liquid diets, and a few others over the years. My sister who is a nurse is dead set against me doing a surgery. Frankly, I am not entirely thrilled with the idea either since it is a major surgery. However, all of the other things are not working for me. I am tired of my health going downhill and just want to be able to stand for 5 minutes without breking out in a sweat and my back killing me with pain. I cannot count on support from family or friends which I know will make this harder. My insurance will NOT pay for this - it is specifically excluded. Therefore I will be self pay. The sleeve will be cheaper than bypass for me, and I am considering it for that reason. I went to a seminar already and based on that, I thought bypass would be "better" because according to the stats the doctor provided, it had the better weight loss. I want to loose 120 to 150 pounds. Is this possible with the sleeve? Or would the bypass be better? Or should I not even do surgery and attempt some other method? I know this is a decision that only I can make, but I need info to make the decision. Thanks for listening.

You have to understand that the vast majority of the people on here are very PRO sleeve. The people here have had mostly great experiences, and have strong feelings about wanting the sleeve over RNY or the Band. If you read on, you will see story after story from people whos lives have been changed by getting the sleeve. Its true that some of the stats say the RNY has a better loss rate, but it also comes at a big cost in other ways.... Vitamin and Protein deficiencies, the pouch stretching, dumping, stoma problems and the list goes on. The sleeve leaves the digestion process in a more natural state. Research RNY vs Sleeve here, there are many many posts on that question alone... People here also know the odds of losing weight from dieting alone and keeping it off are very small.... but add the sleeve, and many here who need to lose as much as you, are doing so very well. Read on....

You have to understand that the vast majority of the people on here are very PRO sleeve. The people here have had mostly great experiences, and have strong feelings about wanting the sleeve over RNY or the Band. If you read on, you will see story after story from people whos lives have been changed by getting the sleeve. Its true that some of the stats say the RNY has a better loss rate, but it also comes at a big cost in other ways.... Vitamin and Protein deficiencies, the pouch stretching, dumping, stoma problems and the list goes on. The sleeve leaves the digestion process in a more natural state. Research RNY vs Sleeve here, there are many many posts on that question alone... People here also know the odds of losing weight from dieting alone and keeping it off are very small.... but add the sleeve, and many here who need to lose as much as you, are doing so very well. Read on....

Thanks for the feedback.

I have decided to have the sleeve done. I will be meeting with the doctor on the 18th to discuss all of my options (it's the first appt after attending an informational seminar). I had wanted to have a decision made when I went to see him, so I'm glad I've made the decision. I'm hopeful I can get the surgery scheduled for in July sometime after the 9th (Family reunion that day - and I don't want to be "newly sleeved" when there). I suppose I will find out more on the 18th when I talk to the doctor.

The hardest parts for me I think will be giving up my diet coke and living on a liquid diet for a while. I've tried liquid diets in the past (including medically supervised ones) and haven't been able to loose weight or keep going due to my being hungry even after taking the drink or craving certain foods. Hopefully the sleeve will "help" with those things. I usually get a large diet coke from McD's each morning before work as I have 12 hour work days and it helps get me through the day. I'll need to find something else to do that now.

Congratulations on your decision Nancy. I too am a Diet Coke addict so I feel your pain there. I have wondered about caffeine free diet coke thats watered down a bit..desperate or what? I think as long as it's flat, it's ok, just absolutely no bubbles. others can chime in here and help out.

Renee`

Congratulations on your choice to get the sleeve. I just had mine last Tuesday and am in the full liquid stage of my post-op diet. Hunger is not a problem post-sleeve for me so far, your main goal is Protein and staying hydrated.

I gave up all soda and caffeinated products several weeks before my pre-op liquid diet. It was extremely helpful not to have caffeine withdrawal during that pre-op liquid phase. I was never much of a Water drinker but it is definitely my friend now, along with 0 cal lifewater and Decaf tea.

Good Luck on your journey and everyone here is always willing to help with any questions you have. This forum has a wealth of information.

Congratulations! I know it will ask for a big change in some habits, the the sleeve really does help to support those changes. Im loving my giant iced Decaf tea as well! (with stevia)

I have lost over 140 lbs with the sleeve... and I am so so glad I did not go with bypass... It is hard enough to get the Vitamins in with the sleeve .... and I have heard it is 3 times as bad with bypass and you have it the rest of your life.

I know it is a hard decision to make.. but for me it was sleeve all the way..

good luck to you and if you have any specific questions for me.. just send me a pm

Sherri :-)

In response about your concern with the liquid post-op diet: you really are not hungry at all those first couple of weeks, so the liquid is fairly easy to do. I thought the hard part as the lack of variety. The first 2-4 weeks after surgery is the hardest part - it is emotional, draining, and difficult. Once you get past that one month mark, you feel almost completely normal - except for your portions. You will laugh out loud when you see how little you eat compared to everyone else.

Good luck on your decision - check back often, this is a great place for info and support.

Lara