Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A truly amazing week!

I just feel like I have to share the events of this week with someone and this seems like a great place to do it.

On Wednesday, I had a check-up with my surgeon, Dr. Roslin, and he was really happy with my progress. I am down about 120 lbs since my surgery in July and my blood work looks good except for high triglycerides which I am working on (damn my penchant for cookies!). I am especially thrilled about my blood work because I have struggled with getting my Vitamins in and now I feel that I have that situation under control, except for my Calcium, but I am working on that too. Dr. Roslin thought I looked "svelte" -- I don't think anyone has every used that word to describe me, so I walked out of the office on clouds. I'd love to lose another five to ten pounds and since I have not really been exercising, I think that is possible with some exercise and some slightly better eating habits.

Yesterday, I decided to reward myself with a new suit for work, which I desparately need. I've been trying to avoid buying any until my weight stabilizes, but I really need one. Last summer, just before my surgery, I bought a suit at my highest size ever -- a 54. I hated to buy it and it felt like a tent, but my niece was getting married and I really had no choice. I was shocked and thrilled to find out that my new suit size is a 42 regular and then have the salesman tell me that I should probably have the jacket taken in a little! I honestly thought I would start balling right there in the three way mirror!

FInally, after being widowed four and a half years ago, I am dating a really nice woman. I met her in November when I was pretty far along in my weight loss, but I've been honest with her about the surgery since our second date and she has been really supportive and complimentary. I really enjoy being with her We had a wonderful dinner together Tuesday night and I find myself really caring about her and thinking about her a lot and I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual. After being so sad for such a very long time, it is a wonderful feeling! I can't be sure that this relationship wouldn't have happened without the surgery, but I don't think my heart and head would have been in a position to pursue it without the newfound confidence that this surgery has given me.

What an amazing difference these last 10 months have made in my life!

If there is anyone out there who is on the fence about having this surgery -- my advice is to do tons of research, get comfortable with the procedure and your doctor and then, GO FOR IT! If you are like most people on these boards, you will never regret your decision.

Thanks for being out there to listen, guys. I can't imagine where I would be without this board to support and guide me!

Brian

Well done Brian. I love reading stories like this. Your lady sounds like a keeper! I hope things just get better and better for you!

Keep on smiling! :D

Thanks for sharing!! It does sound like an awesome week! I can't wait to be where you are now!

Aw, congrats on the great NSVs! It is stories like these that keeping me coming back here.

Brian, that is the loveliest, sweetest post I have ever read. You have had so many life changing things happen to you. And the fact that things are positive and you are getting such wonderful feedback in your life from your doctor, from your girlfriend, from the TAILOR!! is sooo awesome. I'm so darned happy for you!! :D

That was really fantastic to read. We all deserve to be happy, fat or thin. Whether or not you had the surgery, it sounds like you finally had an open heart and a great lady walked in.

Wishing you continued success--

Lara

Wow Brian...thank you so much for sharing your story. I know that the stories of how the surgery impacted a person's life is what kept me going when I was planning for mine. You have lost a LOT of weight since July so congratulations on that and the new direction your life is going. :D It IS wonderful to have this site to post your good new on isn't it??

Congrats on your new suit and your new love!

Congrats, Brian!! You sound like an awesome guy who is reaping the benefits of the sleeve. Best of luck to you and your new lady friend. She is lucky to have you!

Great to hear good-feel stories like yours Brian... congrats on a great 10mths!

Am loving the new suit, new lady and the start of a new and healthier life for you... tis what it's all about fella! =]

Aww- what a lovely story! Sounds like you are doing wonderful! Your weight loss is amazing- way to go! Good luck in every area of your life. :D

Brian, well done, I actually cried reading your post, may you have a lot of health and happiness, and many, many new "Svelt" suits ahead of you!

Enjoy!

Brian, what a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am so happy for you and all of your happiness. Wishing you continued happiness and success with your journey and your relationship.:)