Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I took my first business trip this week since being sleeved on 2/22. I have lost 48 pounds, and felt pretty confident about being able to handle being outside of my safe environment of home/work/family/selected restaurants.

Then, I realized I wouldn't be able to take liquids through the TSA security checkpoint, and wouldn't be able to take any Protein Drinks with me (as "backup" if I couldn't find a decent Protein choice). Gulp - one crutch was taken from me! ( I talked to a TSA agent, and described to him being on a special diet and needing to carry liquids through - he said they would accomodate that - would need the OK of a supervisor)

It was fun packing smaller sizes for the trip - I have dropped from 24Ws to 18Ws so far. The normally tiring trip of walking from the car to the terminal, through security to the gate was not tiring at all. I made it through security with no problem. I noticed bending over to tie my shoes after I replaced them on me feet was much easier! Before it had been a chore, sitting on a bench just to get my damn shoes tied.

The first place I checked in the terminal that sold magazines and Water had Muscle Milk Protein drinks also - I bought two (just in case) and two bottles of water. I passed by my old favorite travelling companion - peanut M&M's. And, I didn't even say hello to the sugared papaya at the fruit and nut stand. Once I got on the plane (US Air) I noted how closely spaced the rows were. But, even with that, the tray table would go down into its normal horizontal position when lowered. Before, it would tilt up because of running into my thighs and belly.

I buckled the seatbelt WITH NO NEED FOR AN EXTENDER!! YEA!! And, during the flight I had to make use of the facilities. It really seemed as if the toilet closet was larger this trip.

I used the two muscle milk drinks during the trip, but had no problem finding protein (chicken, shrimp) to eat. It's not as though I was travelling to the third world - I just went to Connecticut. In the airport on my return trip, I had two layovers. Instead of reading and eating my favorite junk/comfort foods (my usual ways to kill time in an airport), I walked laps of the terminals with my rolling bag trailing behind me. I probably walked 30-45 minutes total that day doing that. Word of worning - the TSA agents may question this as "odd" behavior - they are on edge this week due to the death of Bin Laden. On my third lap by a TSA agent - he asked me what I was looking for - and could he help me find it. I thanked him and told him I was exercising.

I even had to do a short sprint to make a connection - barely made it! Before the 48 pound loss, I probably would have missed the flight.

Anyway - life is good - even when putting up with the hassle of travelling by air. No one needs to worry that they will have to eat "bad" things when they are travelling if they are aware of the options available. And, the victories - although minor - are certainly sweet!

Thanks for sharing this experience! I have to travel for the first time ever, on a plane. and i wondered how I would make a 4 hour trip (including layovers) with my new sleeve. Thinking i know i have to drink all day, and get my Protein. and wondered if they would let me take my Water along, and some protein packets. So this is useful for my upcoming travels this fall. Congrats on your loss. I too started at a 24w. I just dropped into a ladies 16. Its a whole new experience to not have to struggle into my clothes, and accomodate certain things based on my size. i was a bit afraid of the muscle milk at first, taste wise. but i love it. good stuff in a pinch for sure! :-)

FANTASTIC!!! I am going on my first flight at the end of this month. I think it is 4 hours. I have been wondering what I am going to bring for food - hoping they don't give me any hassle on my string cheese :-)

Glad your experience went well. I too have to travel by plane soon. Hope I have as good of an experience as you did. Congrats on those NSV's!