Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EDIT: meant to say May 3rd not the 2nd lol

I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 am and was promptly dressed in a gown. I was placed in a holding area where I was weighed (lost 5 more lbs) and received two shots of heparin in my belly. My surgery was scheduled for 9:45. A nurse came in to start my IV and since I haven't had any liquids to drink my normally absent veins were even more so. It took a local anesthetic, 2 nurses and 2 anesthesiologists to stick me 7 times to get a vein. by the time that was finished it was 9:30. My husband kissed me and went to the waiting room and an OR nurse came in. I actually went to high school with her so she offered to take herself off the team if I was uncomfortable, but I said it was fine, I didn't mind. Was nice of her to ask i'm sure she probably has to when she runs into someone she knows. I walked to the operating room and climbed up on the table and don't remember a whole after that.

I woke up in the PACU very groggy and surprisingly enough I didn't shout at people, when I was a kid and had my tonsils out, i started yelling at the nurses when I woke up. They kept telling me to take deep breaths. I already had the compression boots on. I think it was like 11:30. I was told everything went well. I kept dozing in and out for awhile and my husband was allowed in to see me, He made some phone calls while I was half awake to let some family know how I was doing. I didn't feel too much of anything all.

When i finally got to my room, I was feeling a bit of discomfort probably a 6 on the scale of 1 to 10. I was sipping in between dozing off. I was given liquid percocet and i wretched really hard twice after drinking it but kept it down. I tried some orange Jello and almost lost that but kept it down. Getting in and out of bed was horrible, lots of pressure on my belly. I am really large to begin with so that probably made it more difficult. I walked laps a couple times before I settled in for the night. People kept coming in throughout the night for a variety of reasons. Vitals, a pill to take, IV swap, etc. I did get some sleep and woke up at 5:30.

I had my leak test at 8am, I was able to watch it on the monitor. There were no leaks but the contrast stayed in my esophagus for awhile it was 30cc and I felt a lump in my chest and I could see and feel when it moved, they made sure it eventually passed to my intestines and let me go back upstairs. The liquid isn't flowing well from my esophagus to my stomach but they think it will get better when the swelling goes down. They also said I could request a copy of the pictures, they could save them on a DVD for me.

Got back to my room by 10am this morning, the catheter was removed and my second IV site was removed. Doing a couple laps every hour or so. I gave myself my first Lovenox shot, which I will continue for the next week I believe at home, you don't even feel it. I did not have a drain, I have 6 incisions and I have no gas pain whatsoever. I know everyone says they feel it most in their shoulders but I haven't felt anything yet. Hopefully I avoided that issue.

I am still quite sore but feeling better than yesterday for sure, trying to sip this isopuke mixed with Water and logging my intake. Every sip feels like a know in my chest at the moment for some reason. I will probably be discharged tomorrow. I can't wait for this swelling to go down and the liquids go down a bit more easily.

Will post more from home, let me know if you have any questions.

I am Sleeved!!

Heather

Wow Congratulations-it's done-I wish I were you! Sounds like it really wasn't too bad! I'm terrified of surgery! Just approved for 6/1/11 for the bypass but am trying to learn about the sleeve now at last minute! I'm brand new on this site-loved reading your description. Will you be on liquids for long? What's the shot for? You sound like you have a positive attitude-keep it up & feel good!

Yay- I am so happy for you! Can't wait to hear your progress. I plan to keep the Red Velvet Gang progress reports going. DOn;t forget to check in there too.

Hope the swelling goes away pronto!

Congratulations, Chicadee... you are my six-month sleeve-a-versry sister. I was sleeved on December 2nd, 2010.

Things will only get better from here, just take it easy and follow your docs orders to the LETTER. You will have good days and bad, and the liquid diet gets REALLY boring before it ends, but stick with it.

Good luck!

Cinderella

Congratulations, chicadee! I was sleeved the day before you and it is my first full day at home. The liquid Lortab did the same thing to me. I had dry heaves for about 5minutes and I decided then I wouldn't be taking the Lortab anymore. Since I came home yesterday, I haven't taken anything for pain.

Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone!

I am home today, doing pretty well I think, pain isn't too bad I didn't take any narcotics while in the hospital except the percocet that one time. They did send me home with a Loritab script and I took it once this afternoon, no problems keeping that down and it basically put me to sleep for a little while.

Last night I had terrible knots in my throat/stomach every time I sipped anything it would feel like it was stuck, then I could feel it move, then another know again and so on. This morning i felt good and was able to finally pass gas, TMI I know but they wouldnt' let me leave until I did that. I have some knots again tonight. I drank a whole Isopure today with quite a bit of Water and a couple ounces of chicken broth. I definitely don't want to get dehydrated.

My Aunt and Uncle came to see me last night at the hospital, so nice of them and they gave me a gift card to Kohl's so I can go shopping once I lose some of the weight., they are awesome people.

In addition to the Loritab script I was sent home with an Aciphex script which is not covered by my insurance so they told me just to get the prevacid instead. A Lovenox script I have to inject myself with that every day, piece of cake actually and I was worried about doing it and a Vitamin D script which is once a week for 4 weeks 50,000 units. Did anyone else get this? I wasn't aware they gave this and why.

Tuesday I can move to full liquids and looking forward to it already. Then next Friday, the 13th I have an appt with my surgeon and he will let me know when I can progress to purees.

Congrats on your sleeve! It sounds like you had a pretty good experience (all things considered!) It's awesome that you are so upbeat and getting your liquids in... I hope the swelling goes down soon so that it's not as uncomfortable for you to sip...

Isopuke, :lol: that had me LOL, I've not tried it for myself yet, but hear that it is an acquired taste?

Well, Good Luck & thanks for posting your experience.. I can't wait to join you on the other side of the OR table!!!

Wendy

The alpine punch and orange pineapple banana Isopure haven't been that bad. I took all of what I didn't drink at the hospital home with me. That blue colored raspberry one I dumped down the sink. I figure I might as well use them up then I can move on to my Nectars that I have here which I like much better.

I was not able to sleep in my bed last night, I got into it and I can't sleep on my back, to flat, I couldn't prop myself up and my side and stomach sleeping are a definite no go. It was painful to move around so I ended up out on the couch in one of the recliners. It was the most sleep I've had all week.

Congratulations that all went well and you're on the road to recovery!

Jenny you and I look so much alike we could be sisters...I saw your pic and I was like *tilts head* when did I post tha..er...that's not me!? LOL

Renee`

Saw my surgeon yesterday and am down to 351, which is 39 lbs from my highest weight ever. I can now sleep in my bed in almost any position with no problems. I get to move to purees on Tuesday but I have had a scrambled egg already and some mashed potatoes and they seemed fine.

Was hoping I wouldn't have to experiment with the purees while in work. I dread something not agreeing with me and coming back up while I am there. Can't wait to be done giving myself the blood thinner injections each day, only 5 more days to go.

Overall I feel normal, no discomfort or pain, only a little weak sometimes or wobbly as it was put before. I can definitely feel a difference in my body with just this little bit of weight lost. My grandmother who does not know I had the surgery told my mother on the phone the other day she thought I looked like I was losing weight. I don't see her every day so it was interesting that someone actually noticed that wasn't aware of the situation.

I am back to work on Monday. I am really glad I took the two full weeks off, I had plenty of time to rest and relax and will go back feeling pretty normal.

So today was not a great day. I went back to work, but felt pressure in my stomach all day like I was full constantly. I don't want to get into too much TMI but I did go to the bathroom, not much, twice today but I feel like I am backed up. I took gasx and a dose of Miralax with little result.

Feeling a bit shaky, not like a low blood sugar shaky just not well. Deep breaths feel sore today. I have no fever, no nausea, vomiting anything of the sort.

If I am still feeling like this tomorrow I am going to call the doctors office. Any ideas?

Today I had a 8oz Protein shake before work, then a 6oz stonyfield yogurt at like 9am. Water and my Multivitamin until lunch, at 12:30 had 2oz of puree chicken salad. Water until I got home and about 7:30 had a small bit of cream of mushroom Soup. then more water. I have been feeling this pressure all day.

Dr must have found Calcium deficiency in your labs along with low Vit D3 in your system. Vit D helps absorb Calcium in your system. I have these deficiencies and take 5K units D3 and 1200 units of calcium each day. What are those shots for?? I am curious about them. I will find out in 2 weeks when I have my surgery. Take care and glad you are feeling better. :D

Thanks for all the well wishes from everyone!

I am home today, doing pretty well I think, pain isn't too bad I didn't take any narcotics while in the hospital except the percocet that one time. They did send me home with a Loritab script and I took it once this afternoon, no problems keeping that down and it basically put me to sleep for a little while.

Last night I had terrible knots in my throat/stomach every time I sipped anything it would feel like it was stuck, then I could feel it move, then another know again and so on. This morning i felt good and was able to finally pass gas, TMI I know but they wouldnt' let me leave until I did that. I have some knots again tonight. I drank a whole Isopure today with quite a bit of Water and a couple ounces of chicken broth. I definitely don't want to get dehydrated.

My Aunt and Uncle came to see me last night at the hospital, so nice of them and they gave me a gift card to Kohl's so I can go shopping once I lose some of the weight., they are awesome people.

In addition to the Loritab script I was sent home with an Aciphex script which is not covered by my insurance so they told me just to get the prevacid instead. A Lovenox script I have to inject myself with that every day, piece of cake actually and I was worried about doing it and a Vitamin D script which is once a week for 4 weeks 50,000 units. Did anyone else get this? I wasn't aware they gave this and why.

Tuesday I can move to full liquids and looking forward to it already. Then next Friday, the 13th I have an appt with my surgeon and he will let me know when I can progress to purees.