Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Kaiser PCP is going to refer me!

So after researching sleeve surgery and just assuming that I didn't qualify through Kaiser because I'm a 36 BMI, I had planned on self paying and being poor. I went to my doctor today, and the bad news is I actually have high blood pressure, so she (doc) prescribed a Water pill for me. I asked her about weight loss surgery and she was all for it! She began telling me about some of her other patients who have had it with much success and no complications. She signed me up for the orientation class on May 24th and then will refer me to the surgeon.

Wow, and all I had to do is ask! Woo hoo! I'm really happy! :lol:

So after researching sleeve surgery and just assuming that I didn't qualify through Kaiser because I'm a 36 BMI, I had planned on self paying and being poor. I went to my doctor today, and the bad news is I actually have high blood pressure, so she (doc) prescribed a Water pill for me. I asked her about weight loss surgery and she was all for it! She began telling me about some of her other patients who have had it with much success and no complications. She signed me up for the orientation class on May 24th and then will refer me to the surgeon.

Hi Lisa, my name is Shelly and I too am a Kaiser patient who has recently been referred for the sleeve surgery. I have attended the overview class and I am now sitting anxiously waiting for the surgery center to call and schedule me for the five hour orientation. I'm so excited and the waiting is driving me crazy. I'm so happy that your Doctor was so supportive, my PCP was against the surgery and it took me three years to convince him (I should have just found a new Doc). Anyway, I just wanted to sya hi and say that I share your excitement. Congratulations!

Where are you located? I am in Northern California

Hi Shelly, I live in Sacramento, where are you? So you have to do a five hour orientation on top of the intro class? I thought it was just the overview class and then you get a phone consult with the surgeon. This whole thing is confusing.

It's funny because when I asked my doctor how long it would take until I could get the surgery, she said it was really fast. She looked up another patient and said she referred her to the surgeon in November and she got the surgery in April. To me that seems long! But, whatever, I'll take it, since it's no cost to me!

Hi Shelly, I live in Sacramento, where are you? So you have to do a five hour orientation on top of the intro class? I thought it was just the overview class and then you get a phone consult with the surgeon. This whole thing is confusing.

It's funny because when I asked my doctor how long it would take until I could get the surgery, she said it was really fast. She looked up another patient and said she referred her to the surgeon in November and she got the surgery in April. To me that seems long! But, whatever, I'll take it, since it's no cost to me!

I actually attended the overview class last Wednesday in Roseville (I live in Orangevale, small world huh?). In the overview class the instructor will explain that the next step is an orientation in Richmond. It's a ways to drive but so worth it. They will tell you the wait is between 6 to 12 months but it usually isn't quite that long. I'm just anxious to get this whole thing going already.

Glad to have a fellow sleever so close. Kaiser has a WLS support group meeting at the Point West Facility on the fourth Saturday of each month - 11:00 AM. The next meeting is May 28th - I'm going to try to attend. I hope you consider checking it out too. :)

I'm actually in Fair Oaks! We're neighbors! Thanks for the info, I'll try to attend May 28th, I'll have my overview class done by then.

Kaiser So cal is long process, up to 1 yr and you will only be approved if your BMI is 40 and above.

OMG is this really how fast it goes now? I'm in SoCal also, and yes, it took a year, at least. I had to do 6 months of weekly Options classes (after waiting to get in) then a 3 month wait for a surgery consultation! It was an eternity...I complained then, but not now. That year was a valuable preparation period for a whole new lifestyle of eating and I appreciate it now. But I also understand your excitement to get the surgery as soon as you can. Good luck on your journeys!!

Northern CA is a lot faster to go through. The process really starts after orientation. You will want to start eating according to the binder and then faster you get to your surgeons goal weight the quicker your surgery will be scheduled. It took me 3 months from start to finish. I had to lose 20 pounds before surgery. I am almost 5 months out and have lost 110 pounds total. 36 pre and 74 post surgery. Maybe I will see you guys at the point west group meetings!

Yeah, the So Cal Kaiser process seems to be a lot longer! For me it has been 17 months since the initial orientation class!!

Hi Lisa (and Shelly) Fellow neighbors! (Ovale here)

I, too, am a KP member, and am going in for my VSG on Wednesday, May 18th.

I started the process, by asking my Dr back in January, first basic orientation class Feb 7 Richmond orientation Feb 22, Surgeon March 14, Psych March 18, Case manager March 21, Original surgery date April 5 (but I got sick, Boo :( ) So, after my last long 8-10 hr day in RIchmond on May 8, I am good to go!!

Lisa....Plan on starting your weight loss NOW! Your "original top weight" is the weight from your PCP. so as long as you go into the surgeon with pounds down, you are more likely to get put through right away. Kaiser is happy to send anyone and everyone through the process, it is just up to each individual to follow through on thier part.

FYI, start a food journal TODAY! At some point in time the nutritionist is going to want to see 2 weeks worth of nutritional intake. Bring it with you to all of your appointments, that way, once it is requested of you, you don't have to wait an additional 2 1/2 weeks, they can photo copy it out there, and hand it over so you get a call back within a short period of time.

I was fortunate that I was able to see my surgeon and the case manager in Vacaville, so that did cut down on the need to travel extra for just a 45 min apt.

Good luck to you Lisa, and Shelly.....

HIghest weight 302 (10/04/1999)

Stuck between 220 and 240 since 2002

1/4/11: 239

3/14/11: 230 (surgury weight attained on first visit to surgeon)

5/16/11: 229

5' 3" BMI=41

Hi Lisa (and Shelly) Fellow neighbors! (Ovale here)

I, too, am a KP member, and am going in for my VSG on Wednesday, May 18th.

I started the process, by asking my Dr back in January, first basic orientation class Feb 7 Richmond orientation Feb 22, Surgeon March 14, Psych March 18, Case manager March 21, Original surgery date April 5 (but I got sick, Boo :( ) So, after my last long 8-10 hr day in RIchmond on May 8, I am good to go!!

Lisa....Plan on starting your weight loss NOW! Your "original top weight" is the weight from your PCP. so as long as you go into the surgeon with pounds down, you are more likely to get put through right away. Kaiser is happy to send anyone and everyone through the process, it is just up to each individual to follow through on thier part.

FYI, start a food journal TODAY! At some point in time the nutritionist is going to want to see 2 weeks worth of nutritional intake. Bring it with you to all of your appointments, that way, once it is requested of you, you don't have to wait an additional 2 1/2 weeks, they can photo copy it out there, and hand it over so you get a call back within a short period of time.

I was fortunate that I was able to see my surgeon and the case manager in Vacaville, so that did cut down on the need to travel extra for just a 45 min apt.

Good luck to you Lisa, and Shelly.....

HIghest weight 302 (10/04/1999)

Stuck between 220 and 240 since 2002

1/4/11: 239

3/14/11: 230 (surgury weight attained on first visit to surgeon)

5/16/11: 229

5' 3" BMI=41

Wow, that was really fast. I go for my Mammogram tomorrow (all cancer screens need to be completed) and then my PCP will send the referral to Richmond. I will make sure to have my food journal with me whe I start this process. I will be thinking of you Wednesday and of course my prayers will be with you as well.

I grew up in OV so I'm just a home town girl.

Please send a message after the surgery so we all know that everything went well. Take care and enjoy your new journey - I will join you shortly. : )

THAT IS SOOOO AWESOME! CONGRATS!

That's exactly what happened to me. My BMI is just over 35. My PCP is also very supportive. I had my orientation class last week and now I'm waiting to be scheduled for the 12 week class

Keep us updated. Are you in So. Cal?.

Hi Lisa, my name is Shelly and I too am a Kaiser patient who has recently been referred for the sleeve surgery. I have attended the overview class and I am now sitting anxiously waiting for the surgery center to call and schedule me for the five hour orientation. I'm so excited and the waiting is driving me crazy. I'm so happy that your Doctor was so supportive, my PCP was against the surgery and it took me three years to convince him (I should have just found a new Doc). Anyway, I just wanted to sya hi and say that I share your excitement. Congratulations!

Where are you located? I am in Northern California

I am in Vacaville and just attended the overview class last week and my PCP sent my referral through and I too am anxiously waiting for the surgery center to call and schedule me for the orientation.

I know that at the 5-hour class they give us a binder that is supposed to be like our bible and we bring it to every appointment. I actually found it online in a pdf form. Here is the link: www.permanente.net/kaiser/pdf/39806.pdf (For some reason, the link isn't working on my computer right now. I'm not sure if it's just my internet or the computer. But if it doesn't work, just do a google search for "kaiser richmond bariatric patient information binder". I have already read through it so I have a good idea about what will be covered at the class. Maybe we'll be in the same class! =)

I swear I keep my phone attached at my hip. I set it by the shower, I take it in the bathroom. I do not want to miss their call. lol! I called and listened to their recording and it says they will call within 3 weeks of receiving the referral from your PCP.

Hope that helps. Keep me posted on when they call, maybe we will have the same time frame!