Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Can I eat at the movie theater?

I wanted to go to a movie today. And I was wondering what everybody eats at the movie theater? What would be sleeve friendly?

I take a bag of beef Jerky in my purse. Nothing is really sleeve friendly at the movies. popcorn is definitely a slider for me, and completely nutrient lacking for me during my losing stage. Also, it wasn't allowed until after 3 months because of the kernel/seed parts.

I've been wondering about this too. Last time we went to the movies (pre-sleeve) they were checking purses etc for snuck in food & making people throw away what they snuck in!!

Boy, they tried to search me once for "snuck in" food and I raised such a ruckus I thought they would throw me out. I stuck to my guns and they eventually let me pass. This sucks and there is NO WAY IN HELL this is legal or even fair.

Last time I went we bought a small popcorn and split it. I know it's high cal but you probably won't eat much of it. Get a diet soda to hit the sweet tooth and you should be fine.

This is going to sound totally rude, not meant to, just some tough love... but since a movie is only about 2 hrs long... Maybe we stop associating food with entertainment B) There is no rule that says a movie must be accompanied by food.

I would suggest using your new tool to learn that not all functions need to come with food. I know it's hard but it can be done. I had to learn how to go hang out with my husband and friends, at their favorite BBQ place, for several hours at a time, at least once a week. I've managed with total success. I order my iced tea and sip on it while the boys chow down on BBQ and beer. I make sure i'm not hungry when I go (first rule)

We must learn to think skinny...... My Dr. told me that if I want to have an indulgance (for me, it's a glass of wine at nice restaurants) that I need to make sure i've burned the extra calories thru addtitional exercise that day or by cuting calories out of my daily diet. "Make sure it's worth it" he said.

Basically, going to the movies needs to be about the movie and not the food... enjoy the company, the movie, the people watching then go have yourself a healthy snack or meal afterwards (or before).

Movies are just a beginning. It may be a trip to the zoo with the kids, a summer Cruise vacation with the family, a Baseball game, School candy fund raiser, Girl Scout Cookies etc etc etc...... these situations will not go away and we must use our new tool to impower us to make better and wiser choices. IT'S HARD...... I DO UNDERSTAND. I'm learning that myself.

Best wishes at the movies...... you will do fine :D

Going to the movies for me was always treating myself to a soda and candy as well as the movie biggrin.gif

My new plan is to do a bottled Water (bought or snuck in) and a lollipoprolleyes.gif

This is going to sound totally rude, not meant to, just some tough love... but since a movie is only about 2 hrs long... Maybe we stop associating food with entertainment B) There is no rule that says a movie must be accompanied by food.

I would suggest using your new tool to learn that not all functions need to come with food. I know it's hard but it can be done. I had to learn how to go hang out with my husband and friends, at their favorite BBQ place, for several hours at a time, at least once a week. I've managed with total success. I order my iced tea and sip on it while the boys chow down on BBQ and beer. I make sure i'm not hungry when I go (first rule)

We must learn to think skinny...... My Dr. told me that if I want to have an indulgance (for me, it's a glass of wine at nice restaurants) that I need to make sure i've burned the extra calories thru addtitional exercise that day or by cuting calories out of my daily diet. "Make sure it's worth it" he said.

Basically, going to the movies needs to be about the movie and not the food... enjoy the company, the movie, the people watching then go have yourself a healthy snack or meal afterwards (or before).

Movies are just a beginning. It may be a trip to the zoo with the kids, a summer Cruise vacation with the family, a Baseball game, School candy fund raiser, Girl Scout Cookies etc etc etc...... these situations will not go away and we must use our new tool to impower us to make better and wiser choices. IT'S HARD...... I DO UNDERSTAND. I'm learning that myself.

I totally agree with you!!!

It's funny, I've never associated food with the movies. Growing up, my Mom would never buy a drink or food at the movies because money was tight. Now, I just don't see the logic, everything is overpriced, plus anytime I buy a drink, I end up missing part of the movie :blink:

My suggestion would be to sneak in a snack pack of nuts, they're at least salty like pop corn.< /p>

I totally agree. This is all about a lifestyle change... and, eventually later on when you're farther out it will be easier to fall into your old traps..

It's hard but we have to make adjustments to our lifestyles to make them work long term.

For $ reasons, I too have skipped refreshments at the movies and ate cheaper before or after. But if you can't manage that for some reason, then bottled Water or your choice of no cal bottled drink, and as others have said, peanuts, Protein bar, cashews, almonds, beef Jerky, slim jim, pork skins, string cheese, etc. This would all depend how far post-op you are too.

Kelly

I am not entirely sure what is "pro-sleeve" because I am not there yet... but when it comes to bringing food into the theatre if you say that have food allergies and cannot safely eat their food then they have to let you bring it in. Another thing, say you bring in something that says "sugar-free" just say you are diabetic. One of my really good friends is type 1 and had a really difficult time eating from the concession... so she always brought home-made goodies (sugar free cookies) or sugar-free candies/chocolates. They checked our bags once and she was just like "i'm diabetic, i can't eat there, you can't make me throw it out" and they didn't argue with her at all....

So, if you do decide to bring your own food if they do check your bag just tell them you can't eat their food. If they try to push it pull the ADA (American's with Disability Act) card on them... i don't know if it actually covers that situation.. but chances are the person checking the bags in the first place won't know either and won't want to fight wink.gif!

Have fun!

Great tip Emily! I've never been searched, but will keep it in mind, thanks!