Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to freak out about surgery on Tuesday

I am not sure if is a lack of food or just crazy hormones but I am starting to freak out about surgery. I know I want this but all of a sudden I keep thinking about what if the worse happens during surgery :( I have too great boys and a wonderful supportive husband who just happens to be deployed over seas right now that I can't imagine not seeing again. I know the chances are really small and my surgeon has a really good record of surgeries without complications but its still there in the back of my mind. Am I the only one who is having these thoughts and how do you get past them?

I was the same. I tried to talk myself out of it as it got closer and was pretty nervous about the surgery as my extra weight had given me high blood pressure, etc. Anyway....it was a breeze. I am now 9 days Post Op and was actually surprised it was not as bad as expected and the doctor, nurses, etc. were amazing. Have faith -- you will be fine and will be feeling and moving better in no time. I am down 26 pounds since I started my preop diet, but still have a long way to go. Hang in there!

I'm feeling the same. Mine is Wednesday!

You're not alone! For me, my freak out came the day of because I didn't have a lot of time to freak out before surgery. I literally changed my date on a Wednesday and had my surgery the Sunday right after. In between those few days, I had to prepare and plan everything for my baby girl's baptism which was on Saturday (yes the day before my surgery). But I can tell you that Saturday night, I spent my time writing a living will and a list of log in IDs and passwords for my husband since I pay most of our bills online as well as documenting every bit of my children's routines...I wanted everyone to be prepared if the worst did happen. The morning of surgery, I was an absolute wreck...I have never cried so much in my life. My husband came to Mexico with me for the surgery, but it was the worst feeling ever to leave my children behind. My 2nd freak out happened at the hospital when the transportation guy stole my husband for lunch and he wasn't back in time when they wanted to wheel me into surgery. I begged them to wait until he got back....there was just no way I could do that without giving one last hug and kiss in case it really was the last. Nerves and fears are definitely normal, but I'm also sure that you'll come out of surgery wondering what all the fuss was about. Good luck to you!!

I'm set for Wednesday.

A short while ago I read a similar thread and one of the responders said "but you're also excited, right?", as if that's a prerequisite for having this surgery. And that simple little statement stuck with me because no, I am not excited. Don't get me wrong, the idea of looking forward to the fall and having a lot of this weight off and life being my new normal...that's all very exciting. But sitting here today looking at having this surgery which I am very fearful of, well, no I'm not excited. I am doing this because I have no choice. I can't do it "on my own" and keep it off. I've learned that lesson over and over.

I personally think having this fear is normal. I think those who do not have any fear are very atypical.

Oddly enough - and I can't emphasize this enough - I AM A BIG chicken -- I'm not much stressing over this. I wish I had done some things differently. But at this point I'm realizing there's no turning back for me. Time is going to march on. This is my chance to change my future so that it's not more of the same.

My SO is also military and this is being done prior to his deployment next year. I know that added stress. But think about how wonderful it will be when he gets back home and you will be able to share a whole new side of life with him.

Oh, and my sweetie just told me this morning that with all he has done during his military career -- propelling out of helicopters, deployments to the current war zones, trying to control riots, cleaning up absolute filth after a deadly flood -- he said that doing what I'm doing with this pre-op diet is something he could not do. He's proud of me. That helps. And I'd bet your husband is proud of you too!

Good luck! If you can take a nice hot bath and soak while you talk to yourself with soothing thoughts of success and strength. It really does help. I think we'll do just fine.

awww

My surgery is Tuesday as well and I am freaking out because I'm the opposite of you! I don't have concerns, but I'm scared because I'm thinking this way. It isn't quite the norm. But you gotta stay positive and have faith!! You will do great and successful and you can continue your life with your family as a healthier person. That's the light at the end of the tunnel and you just gotta keep believing.

Try to find that spot deep down where the excitement lies. wink.gif

I am also nervous, but it is a natural reaction. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago and remember feeling the same way. I wonder if because this is a selective surgery our freak outs are a little more enhanced? Doesn't matter.... we're human. I am having surgery on Monday 4/25.

Mine is two weeks from Monday and I am starting to freak out a little. I know we will all be fine, but I think it is human nature to be this way!

We will all be OK!!

Best of luck to you all!!

Kelly

These feelings are normal, but trust me on this...you are making a great decision. The sleeve has given me my life back. I am sooo happy! As I lose weight, I feel so amazing and like my true self. I feel having the sleeve was one of the best decisions of my life. Good luck to everyone! I know you will all do amazing!

My surgery is this Monday, too. I haven't had as much time to freak out since I was just approved 10 days ago. My insurance changes on May 1st and won't cover the surgery so it was now or never. I am a physician myself and understand ALL the risks associated with this surgery. However, I feel the benefits FAR outweigh the risks. We are scheduled for an Alaskan cruise at the end of June and I can't wait to see how good I'll feel by then. I look forward to a new beginning on my life's journey and spending a lot more time with my loved ones than many of my family members were able to do. For example, I had a 35 yr old cousin died in Sept 2010 of a massive heart attack. Fear is normal and good, to a point. It keeps us in touch with reality. I am decidedly more excited than scared, though, so I'm looking beyond the actual procedure itself and the healthier lifestyle it will afford me!!

Yep- I am scared too. But I am also so excited! Though I am enjoying some treats this weekend and starting my liquids Monday I am actually looking forward to the clean simplicity of those liquids and I am so freaking excited to have this surgery! Even considering the idea WLS just happened for me in January- and here I am poised on the brink of a new life! My primary care doctor said on Wed she had never had a patient be so excited to have this surgery. I am, and also full of resolve to work my sleeve!

In facing my fears I know that even if the worst happened and I die during surgery at least I was going for life, for joy, for health.

Im a nervous wreck! LOL! I was not this nervous before my lapband. I think my nerves are more about me doing this and not losing weight. That would be terrible. I trust Dr. Aceves but there is also that thought that something could go wrong.

I had so many problems with the lapband I dont want to experience that with the sleeve. Good luck!

I am not sure if is a lack of food or just crazy hormones but I am starting to freak out about surgery. I know I want this but all of a sudden I keep thinking about what if the worse happens during surgery :( I have too great boys and a wonderful supportive husband who just happens to be deployed over seas right now that I can't imagine not seeing again. I know the chances are really small and my surgeon has a really good record of surgeries without complications but its still there in the back of my mind. Am I the only one who is having these thoughts and how do you get past them?

I, too, am having my surgery on Tuesday. I must admit that I'm a little anxious, but that's because I've had some really MAJOR surgeries in the past -- the last one in 2009 which lasted 11 hours. So, for me, I keep thinking less than 2 hours should be a "cake walk". Nonetheless, any surgery that employs the use of general anesthesia and results in the removal of all (or most of) any organ is still a "major" surgery. At this point, I think the only thing we can do is trust. Trust our surgeons to be skilled in the procedure and just as hopeful of a successful outcome as we are. For me, I have realized and internalized that everyone dies -- it's not negotiable. So, if it's my time to go, it won't matter if I'm on the operating table, sleeping in my bed or walking out my front door. I can't control it so I have to let go of it. I'm choosing to believe and hope for the best, trust my life to God and my surgeon, and look forward to getting really healthy and fit for good. I'm anxious to be on the other side of the surgery, but the only thing I can absolutely control is my reaction to the information. I've done the research (thank you VST) and understand the pros and cons along with the risks. Living life is a risk. I am ready to step out of the "life on hold" mode and really live life to the fullest extent I possibly can. I'm looking forward to next summer when I can finally say -- for the first time in over 50 YEARS - it's summer and I'm NOT fat! Lookout life, HERE I COME! My very best wishes to you for a successful surgery, miraculous recovery and complete restoration to perfect health. That's what I'm claiming and believing for me too.

Nope i was scared so bad the last few days before surgery all the worries went thru my head I want you to know that i got great care at Darnel i was scared about that too having it at a army hospital. If you need anything or just want support my number is open. You are making a great choice and i love my sleeve now i am still learning to use it and i am now 4 weeks out.

Tuesday will be my 2 week anniversary of the surgery and it was one of the best decisions I ever made!! I was scared and even told my hubby the morning of that I couldn't do it and I wanted to cancel! This was after I was at the hospital in pre-op with my IV started and was almost ready to go. The anesthesiologist came in to chat about then and she was so calm and reassuring that I calmed down too. I am SO glad I had this done and I already feel so much better with just the weight I have lost. The future is only going to get better. :)

Take care all of you having surgery this week...I will direct some healing thoughts your way and I look forward to hearing about your experiences afterwards!