Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WTH?! I need to stop reading!!!

Ok so I feel confident and comfortable with my decision to go with Dr. Aceves, from all reports (or the vast majority) he's a brilliant and caring surgeon. I read read read, here and on OH and to be honest, I'm so dang scared! I am 99% sure I want the vsg, but then I read how the DS is so superior, but why would that be? I honestly wouldn't want to go through the dumping syndrome thing like some do or have diarrhea (I have ibs already! why would I wanna poo more?!) all the time or suffer from malnutrition or have my blood drawn every couple of months cause to be honest, I'm totally needle phobic. Yeah, I'm a sissy, stand in line to smack me! :P

I worry about the after-care here in the US to be honest. I'm totally trusting of Dr. Aceves, but I want to move in with him for a while during recovery, just to be sure I'm ok and he's close by LOL How many of you ended up in the E.R. after your surgery? A week, two weeks, even a month or two down the road. OR had to put in an urgent call to your surgeon? See, I wouldn't be able to do that because he'd be a 6 hour drive away. I'm sick and tired of being fat and I know that surgery is my last ditch effort to get healthy. Ok, brain knows this. My tummy is fighting back and saying not to throw it away, that it's never done anything wrong that maybe my brain should be removed, it's all it's fault. My brain of course is rolling its eyes and pointing the finger at my tummy.

I guess I'm just scared which is normal, but I totally don't want to be someone that thinks every little pain is VSG related and zooms over to the nearest E.R. (which could totally happen because I think maybe I'm a hypochondriac now LOL). On the other hand I don't want to be one of the ones that think it's not going to happen to me and so shut up and deal with agony and end up dead on the floor cause I got a leak or ruptured something and poo poo'ed it and didn't go to the hospital in time.

Was everyone else as bat-sh!t crazy as I am right now?! I don't wanna end up being dehydrated and in the hospital cause I can't sip sip sip, all I can do is guzzle guzzle guzzle HEAVE!

Mkay and now everyone knows how crazy I am :rolleyes:

Renee`

Being scared is perfectly normal, but the re-assuring thing is that those that did experience leaks would still do it again (that I've read about/seen on youtube). DS does provide the best weight loss, but you really need to research to know what you're getting yourself into if you go that route. For a start you have to have a BMI of 40 or more or 35 with 2 co-morbities. With DS you don't experience dumping - you get that with RNY. With DS the bowel is re-sected to cause malabsorption for better weight loss. You malabsorb 80% of the fat you consume but also nutrients and you need to be serious about getting in your Vitamins and 100grams of Protein if you're a lady (not too sure of the amount for guys).

You also need to get your blood quaterly initially to check if you need to up any Vitamins or Protein. OH has a DS board you that's a great place for info if you're interested.

The good thing about VSG is that you can revise to DS if your weight loss isn't sufficient, but you may well not need it (that's mostly how VSG came about). DSers are meant to be prone to diarrhea, but there's a lot of talk on OH about DSers having constipation!!

I did end up having to go into hospital a week after having my uvula removed (it's in your throat and nothing to do WLS) so I had that concern about WLS but I did just fine. I don't think I've read of anyone have that happen, so the advice of sip sip sip must be working.

Keep reading and posting, as there's always more you can learn and I wish you every success in your Quest for WLS.

Ok so I feel confident and comfortable with my decision to go with Dr. Aceves, from all reports (or the vast majority) he's a brilliant and caring surgeon. I read read read, here and on OH and to be honest, I'm so dang scared! I am 99% sure I want the vsg, but then I read how the DS is so superior, but why would that be? I honestly wouldn't want to go through the dumping syndrome thing like some do or have diarrhea (I have ibs already! why would I wanna poo more?!) all the time or suffer from malnutrition or have my blood drawn every couple of months cause to be honest, I'm totally needle phobic. Yeah, I'm a sissy, stand in line to smack me! :P

I worry about the after-care here in the US to be honest. I'm totally trusting of Dr. Aceves, but I want to move in with him for a while during recovery, just to be sure I'm ok and he's close by LOL How many of you ended up in the E.R. after your surgery? A week, two weeks, even a month or two down the road. OR had to put in an urgent call to your surgeon? See, I wouldn't be able to do that because he'd be a 6 hour drive away. I'm sick and tired of being fat and I know that surgery is my last ditch effort to get healthy. Ok, brain knows this. My tummy is fighting back and saying not to throw it away, that it's never done anything wrong that maybe my brain should be removed, it's all it's fault. My brain of course is rolling its eyes and pointing the finger at my tummy.

I guess I'm just scared which is normal, but I totally don't want to be someone that thinks every little pain is VSG related and zooms over to the nearest E.R. (which could totally happen because I think maybe I'm a hypochondriac now LOL). On the other hand I don't want to be one of the ones that think it's not going to happen to me and so shut up and deal with agony and end up dead on the floor cause I got a leak or ruptured something and poo poo'ed it and didn't go to the hospital in time.

Was everyone else as bat-sh!t crazy as I am right now?! I don't wanna end up being dehydrated and in the hospital cause I can't sip sip sip, all I can do is guzzle guzzle guzzle HEAVE!

Mkay and now everyone knows how crazy I am :rolleyes:

Renee`

Renee, you REALLY need to read Crosswind's post "I left my stomach in Mexicali".

It's normal to be wondering if you've lost your mind making this decision. Drastic times call for drastic measures. You've tried everything else, right? And you're tired of being a failure at something so many other humans seem to do effortlessly (lose or maintain their weight), right? Welcome to the club!

Life isn't fair!! Some chicks get fantabulous bods and are "bootylicious". Other chicks (like me) get fat reading a grocery list and are relegated to nicknames like "eartha-quake". So, after determining that I've thrown a boat load of money at fighting this "problem" over the years that I could have paid for the surgery 10 times over, I've FINALLY said "stick a fork in me, I'm DONE!" So, while I don't know how things will ultimately turn out (my surgery is April 26th) I do know how it's gone for me in the past -- unrelenting struggles resulting in unrelenting weight gain and self loathing. I'm way too old and way too tired to keep fighting the insanity scenario.

I'm going for it and I'm NOT looking back.

Empress

I had my surgery with Dr. Aceves and I did not have to go to the ER or make an urgent call to him. I came home, sipped, sippped, sipped, walked, walked, walked, burped like crazy and recovered without incident. If i was going to Mexico for surgery I wanted a surgeon with as few patients with complications as I could find.

I, too, was frightened the days before surgery but as it got closer, it seemed as if I got more frightened of getting fatter and fatter if I didn't have the surgery.

I am sure you will do fine.

Empress and ybnormal--I'm with you both! I'm scared, too, but am also at my wit's end with the weight loss and gain roller coaster. All of my grandparents, both of my parents, all of my aunts and uncles, and several cousins have diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, etc. My dad has 2 stents in his heart, too. I even had a 35 yr old cousin die in September from a heart attack. At this point, I have none of those health issues. However, if I don't take proactive measures, I will be right there with them. I'm 40 years old and weigh 290 lbs. I have a fantastic husband and a wonderful 2 yr old. I am not making this choice for anybody else but me. The benefits to my life will certainly affect others, though. So yes....it's scary but it's also a gigantic step in the right direction! BTW, I'm scheduled for April 25th so I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I had my surgery here in the US and I was self pay. I'm 11 days post op and I admit I've contacted my surgeon twice with concerns. I'm pretty level headed but this was major surgery that I'm not used to and I had concerns that I needed to run by the surgeon. Everything is fine and the doc assured me they were all normal things to experience so that is good. Good luck w your decision.

I totally feel your pain!! It's wonderful that there's so much info out there. But I have definitely suffered from info overload a few times.

My personal reasons for NOT going with the DS is 1) I have IBS. 2) DSers absolutely have to be compliant with taking 10-20 Vitamins, and NOT the cheap ones. They spend anywhere from $50-$100 a month on them. And I've seen even the compliant ones become deficient and have to struggle to maintain correct levels or have to have Iron infusions via IV. 3) I don't like the risks of complications with ANY malabsorption wls short term but especially long term 4) they say it's superior but I see many struggle to reach goal or never reach it, and some have actually gained back. 5) bathroom issues and smells--yes most will deny this problem and say it's a myth, while a couple posts away, someone is posting of this exact problem. So a lot of them that are able to control this problem, do so by taking Flagyl/Fish Zole/probiotics. Yes 3 or more addional pills to take in addtion to their already 10-20 Vitamin regimen a day. 6) they love bragging about how much they get to eat compared to us, but I am pre-op and I struggle to get in 60-70 gr now. They talk about having to get way above 100 gr a day to prevent Protein deficiency. They like to brag they can eat carbs, but if they don't limit them then they have to deal with additional bathroom/smell problems and/or stalls. 7) constant lab work can be costly without Ins.

Oh, and another thing, I spoke to Surgeons who perform both VSG and DS like Dr Baltasar, who is well known for doing DS. I was trying to decide which wls. He told me by far the VSG was superior when it comes to the quality of life. That is the most important thing to me!

ETA: on #6 above, I was referring to Protein grams--sorry haven't had my coffee this morning! Also all the above info came from my research and was found on OH on the DS board.

Hi-

It's completely normal to be scared!!!!

As far as after-care, be sure to talk with your doctor at home and talk about what kind of after care you can expect from them. I am with Kaiser and they have been very good about taking over my after care (blood work, support groups, etc). You can always contact Dr Aceves' office if you have questions or problems - small or large - and they will work with you. If you have some sort of emergency, you will have to go to a local hospital.

That said, you will have several leak tests before you leave and a pretty picture of your new stomach to take back to your regular doctor to confirm that your surgery was a success!

He's the best - you are in great hands!!

Lara

Thanks everyone! I know I'll end up with the sleeve because the other surgeries scare the begeezus outta me. I don't want to have to worry about being an old lady all hunched over and have brittle bone disease because I can't get all my vits and minerals. Plus, like you said, I already am full of shi..er..have chronic diarrhea / IBS, why add to that? I just wish it was done and over with so I could be on my way. I started strict Atkins this morning, that is the only thing required for the surgery (if you go through Dr. Aceves anyway, other drs want liquids only for days or weeks...F THAT). IF by some miracle I sell the land quickly (you know, the acre in AZ that's ocean front property...LOL It actually *is* by the new hoover Dam bridge tho..so NYA! :P lol ) I'm all set and ready to zoom down to Mexico! woot! Since I'm 5'2" and weigh about 270, there's no chance I'll lose too much and not be able to have the surgery, so no worries there.

Like you all, I'm just tired of failing, I want my health and my lap back dangit! lol

I'd never get DS or RNY....no one's touching my intestines! The small bowel is a very complicated structure and we still don't fully understand how it works, and nutrient absorption and electrolyte balance is the LAST thing I want anyone to mess with. People can live without a stomach and without their colon, but they can't live without their small bowel. I'd never get an elective procedure that messes up with my small bowel - just like I'd never get an elective procedure on my heart or brain - these organs are just too important to treat them nonchalantly.

I am 2 months out from having surgery with Dr Aceves and have not had any problems or needed to call my doctor. In the beginning I needed to sip sip sip but now that I am farther out I can take larger drinks of Water. I was a big gulper of water before surgery and the mouthfuls that I take now are large I just can't down a whole litre in 5 mins. It will take me a little longer but not much maybe 15 mins.

With your weight being 270 pounds starting, I think you will find that the sleeve is enough for you. If, for some reason, you wanted to have a DS later, you could since the first thing they do is the sleeve. I bet you will find you don't need it. I considered the DS because I really wanted to be sure I would lose, but the more I read about just having the sleeve, the more I saw people of my weight or more who had gotten down to goal or beyond. I also know that if I ever had to, I could convert the sleeve later on.

I've had Zero complications with the sleeve. I feel totally normal until I try to take an extra bite past full and I'm disciplined by my sleeve-even then when I put my fork down I feel OK pretty soon. I try very hard with the Protein and the Water and the Vitamins but at the end of the day I don't get them all in but I'm pleased that whatever I did get in, got absorbed.

I was scared about the surgery and recovery too but I just decided to "feel the fear and do it anyway" before I knew it-I was on the other side!

Have you been tested for Celiac or just gone on a gluten-free diet for a few days to see if it helps your bowel troubles? I can't even tell you how many people I know diagnosed with IBS have been totally symptom free since giving up gluten/wheat. It's really very easy to avoid and has totally changed my life! PM me if you want to know more.

ybnormal, you might not be crazy, but you ARE hilarious! Enjoyed reading your posts. Most of your concerns are shared by all of us. But looking at the post-op section, it seems most fears are also unwarranted. Good luck!