Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder problems = Starting over at 8 weeks post-op!

Well, it is confirmed! My gallbladder must come out! I will be 8 weeks post op on Monday and that is the day for my gallbladder removal. Dr wants me back on fluids only all weekend before and for a week after. I have had horrible acid reflux the whole time since my sleeve. On Nexium 2 times a day, but provides no relief. Ultrasound showed small gallstones and sludge in my gall bladder...dr thinks it is post-surgery caused.

So, basically, I have to start all over again with my diet! I am frustrated and tired of being in discomfort! Dr is hoping that my sleeve isn't overly sensitive and the gallbladder is causing me all the problems.

I guess I will know soon enough! Not looking forward to 4 more tiny incisions, but if it will help, I am OK with it. I am ready to take a step forward instead of all of the steps backwards!

I have read that many people end up having their gall bladders removed after they get the VSG. I knew mine was already in bad shape so I had my Dr remove it when I had my VSG surgery.

That really sucks that you have to start over like this. I hope all goes well for you.

Good luck!

MelissaAnd-

What a bummer! But, if it makes you feel any better, my gallbladder surgery is the only surgery I've ever had where I woke up feeling better than when I went under. I knew the gall bladder was making me feel bad but even I didn't realize how bad until I woke up and actually felt better then when they but me under. I'm hoping the same thing for you! :)

Amanda

I ended up having my gall bladder out on Monday. I felt better the next day with very little heartburn. I also had to have a large mass of adhesions removed from my abdomen. So, maybe the gall bladder going bad was a blessing in disguise??!! I had 2 places in my intestines that were flat from the adhesions. So, my surgeon fixed it all up. He also said my sleeve looks great!

I am not sure if there is much that you can do to prevent having problems with your gall bladder, but I know that it can be a common issue for many WLS patients.

Now to start the healing process all over again!:P

WooHoo! I am glad to hear you cleared that hurdle. And, how awesome that they were able to spot the adhesions and clear them up. What a great doctor to take the time to clean those up, check on the tummy and remove the gall bladder. Here's to speedy and relatively pain-free healing! :)

Amanda

Is there any way to avoid having gallbladder issues with the sleeve??

You can ask you Dr about taking Actigall. Some have had luck with it. You only take it during the losing phase. It's supposed to prevent gallstones and in people that already have gallstones, it is supposed to help eliminate them. It can be hard on your liver, so you Dr. will want to monitor your levels while you are taking it. But you are on it for a very short period of time in the grand scheme of things, and my Dr. said he has only seen one or two instances of problems in several years of prescribing it.

Glad that is done and yes it does sound like a blessing in disguise. That is great that your sleeve looks wonderful.

I had my gallbladder taken out about 12 years ago when I did all liquid diet Medifast (remember when Oprah did Optifast...well my results were like hers, lose the weight, only to regain it back, except I lost my gallbladder along the way.)

So when I did the sleeve last year I was like whew, one more thing I don't have to worry about. lol.

Hope your recovery is going well!