Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Surgery Questions

Hello Everyone,

Having sleeve surgery next Tuesday the 26th in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Dr. Schram is my surgeon. I have read until I'm dizzy and have watched the Youtube videos over and over. I think I'm ready and there is no way I could be without all of this help. Thanks so much. My stats are as follows: 6 ft 2 in, 337 lbs, 52 years old, Male, 8 kids and a grandchild due any day. I want to keep muscle and end up weighing about 220.

Here are my questions:

Once I am healed up how much Protein do you think I will need each day to keep muscle and not lose too much weight? I like to work out and will the rest of my life and don't want to get frail looking.

Second question: My daughter works for a company who makes Protein drinks. Looks like pretty good stuff. Only 1 gram of sugar but 21 grams of carbs. Does that sound right?

Last question, for today, I have read a lot of stories about bad gas pain right after surgery lasting for quite awhile. From my research it looks like that type of bad situation is rare and most people walk off mild gas shortly after surgery. Is this true for most of you?

Again, thanks for all of your help.

I have not had my sleeve yet so can't answer about the gas, though that agrees with what I have read/heard as well.

However, my doctor says never go for a Protein drink with carbs in the double digits. Double digits Protein, single digits carbs is his rule. Low carbs seems to be the best bet for losing the most during your maximum window of losing time.

I'm 16 days post op and the gas wore off, I still occasionally have issues with it, it's like every 2 days or so. I agree with Meggie on the Protein, but I've had a very hard time trying to consume Protein shakes all together. Its not see easy for me post op. I believe you need to consume at least 60 to 70 grams of Protein a day. I know I was told at least 60. I hope this helps.

P.S. if you are fearful of gas being a problem, get gas-x strips or pills. They are miracle workers!

i try for 50-60 a day in Protein. I know i need more but I am still struggling to get it all in, and so i rely still on a Protein Drink now and then.

i wish i could remember the carb count on my Protein Drink, but that sounds kinda high to me....hmmm.....

and lastly, my gas pain only lasted about a week or so, but i had gas x strips by my bed and used them as needed and it wasnt too horrible bad.

good luck to you and glad you are here!! woot woot! :)

Hi Dadofpeace.

I am not a sleever yet. I too enjoy exercise, am 53 and maintain lots of muscle myself. The trainer I last worked with made me consume 25 grams per meal, a minimum of 75 grams daily, but I chose 100 as my goal. It works and I drank Iso-Pure Protein drinks. The least expensive plave to buy it is at the http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/en/query.jsp?x=13&y=20&q=iso+pure&intsource2=main&tab_selection=Vitamins

it has low carbs or no carbs depending on hte flavor. Fortunately for me my trainer was a diabetic and knew the ropes for keeping carbs down. Hope this helps. .Chocolate is my favorite and I mix it with Water, saves lots of calories, it's a thin consistency so you could drink it now.

Good luck

Once I am healed up how much Protein do you think I will need each day to keep muscle and not lose too much weight? I like to work out and will the rest of my life and don't want to get frail looking.

I was told to get a minimum of 60g of Protein and to shoot for 70g. It took me 5 weeks post op to be able to get in more than 60g.

Second question: My daughter works for a company who makes protein drinks. Looks like pretty good stuff. Only 1 gram of sugar but 21 grams of carbs. Does that sound right?

That sounds pretty high in carbs to me. I would look for something lower in carbs because

many of us are told to keep the carbs low during weight loss.

Last question, for today, I have read a lot of stories about bad gas pain right after surgery lasting for quite awhile. From my research it looks like that type of bad situation is rare and most people walk off mild gas shortly after surgery. Is this true for most of you?

Gas pain was horrible for me right after surgery. Walking did seem to help it but the pain was pretty strong for a few days. After that, I still had some gas pains off and on, but it was manageable.

Good luck to you!

Hi Dadofpeace!

Congrats on making it through the process leading to surgery. Believe it or not, at 7 weeks out I consider that one of the hardest parts. I have had no issues with foods and healed rather quickly. I am getting in approximately 70-90g of Protein a day while limiting carbs to less that 30g. Because of the lack of complications I have gotten into the gym pretty quickly and am actually putting on muscle with this Protein level. All this being said, each person is different. Talk to your doctor/nutritionist and decide together what the appropriate levels are for you shoot for.

I was up and walking rather quickly after surgery and never had any issues with gas. But, from what I read, the GasX Strips are a necessity in case you have difficulties.

As for the protein drinks, I think the carbs are a bit high if you plan to follow a low carb diet which is what I noticed most of the people do who lose the weight quickly. You'll likely need 2-3 drinks per days and that would put your carb count at 42-63g on drinks alone.

On a final note, remember the first week post-op will likely be the roughest. The biggest focus during that time should be getting in plenty of fluids to keep from becoming dehydrated.

Best wishes as you start your journey!

Amanda

Hi!

You will do great with the sleeve. In my Dr's notes men were allowed 70-80 g of Protein and women 60

and 30 to 60 carbs per day. I too think that 21 g of carbs is high but as long as you are counting them and don't go over it should work, but that would limit your carb drastically in your other foods.

The gas was not bad for me but I was up and walking 2hrs after surgery. I did buy the gas-x strips but never used them.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going!

How long did it take for you to get a consultation appt with the Dr. after attending the info session at Methodist?

Thanks so much for responding,

Andrea

p.s. how much have you lost and how do you feel?

i try for 50-60 a day in Protein. I know i need more but I am still struggling to get it all in, and so i rely still on a Protein Drink now and then.

i wish i could remember the carb count on my Protein drink, but that sounds kinda high to me....hmmm.....

and lastly, my gas pain only lasted about a week or so, but i had gas x strips by my bed and used them as needed and it wasnt too horrible bad.

good luck to you and glad you are here!! woot woot! :)

sleepless---I have lost 62 between pre and post op. all together on my own and with the surgery about 108-110. I feel awesome! It is something i do not regret doing at all!

Hi Dadofpeace!

Congrats on making it through the process leading to surgery. Believe it or not, at 7 weeks out I consider that one of the hardest parts. I have had no issues with foods and healed rather quickly. I am getting in approximately 70-90g of Protein a day while limiting carbs to less that 30g. Because of the lack of complications I have gotten into the gym pretty quickly and am actually putting on muscle with this Protein level. All this being said, each person is different. Talk to your doctor/nutritionist and decide together what the appropriate levels are for you shoot for.

I was up and walking rather quickly after surgery and never had any issues with gas. But, from what I read, the GasX Strips are a necessity in case you have difficulties.

As for the Protein drinks, I think the carbs are a bit high if you plan to follow a low carb diet which is what I noticed most of the people do who lose the weight quickly. You'll likely need 2-3 drinks per days and that would put your carb count at 42-63g on drinks alone.

On a final note, remember the first week post-op will likely be the roughest. The biggest focus during that time should be getting in plenty of fluids to keep from becoming dehydrated.

Best wishes as you start your journey!

Amanda

what exactly are you eating right now, I am just 2 wks post op.

thanks for any advise

robin

Hello Everyone,

Having sleeve surgery next Tuesday the 26th in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Dr. Schram is my surgeon. I have read until I'm dizzy and have watched the Youtube videos over and over. I think I'm ready and there is no way I could be without all of this help. Thanks so much. My stats are as follows: 6 ft 2 in, 337 lbs, 52 years old, Male, 8 kids and a grandchild due any day. I want to keep muscle and end up weighing about 220.

Here are my questions:

Second question: My daughter works for a company who makes Protein drinks. Looks like pretty good stuff. Only 1 gram of sugar but 21 grams of carbs. Does that sound right?

Again, thanks for all of your help.

Hi- my name is Robin, I had the sleeve done 2 wks ago with Dr Schramm in Ypsi. Feel pretty good, still having difficulty with protein in general. Gas X does help with the gas issues. Sip Sip Sip is the best advise

good luck, i have my 2 wk appt on Apri 26

robin

I never had a single issue with gas (and there is no Gas-X here, so I was very glad). I also didn't have pre- or post-op liquid diets, so I don't have much experience with Protein Shakes, but I do try for 60-80 g of Protein per day. The sleeve is great, you will love it. :)

what exactly are you eating right now, I am just 2 wks post op.

thanks for any advise

robin

Hi Ireland-

I was on liquids weeks 1 & 2 and then mushy type foods for week three. On liquids I was all about the Protein drinks. At week three, I did a lot of eggs, ground hamburger, greek yogurt, soft cheese, cream of chicken Soup, black bean Soup and nectar Protein Drinks.< /p>

Now, I eat pretty much anything except most raw veggies, Pasta, breads and rice. I eat a lot of grilled chicken, tilapia, salmon, crawfish, shrimp, pot roast (frozen low-sodium individual packets at the grocery store are AWESOME), still eating my fair share of eggs (frozen omelettes rock, too), full fat cheeses, lunch meat with laughing cow cheese and greek yogurt. Remember, I did not struggle with ANY foods so I've been lucky in that aspect.

Good luck!

Amanda