Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Quick question about drinking

I will be 10 days post-op Sunday and today I noticed that I can drink my liquids a lot and I do mean LOT more. :blink:

In the last few days it took all I had to drink 16 ounces yet today I wake up and immediately drink almost 6 oz. then a few mins later another 4-5 oz. This evening I drank almost 8 oz. of broth and got scared because my pouch is supposed to only hold 4 oz.. All together today I have drank 38 oz almost double and am beginning to worry if something is wrong. I do notice my shakes cause less intake than clears but is it okay to be able to drink so much clear?

I think that is fairly normal as your swelling goes down. It's a good thing ;)

I will be 10 days post-op Sunday and today I noticed that I can drink my liquids a lot and I do mean LOT more. :blink:

In the last few days it took all I had to drink 16 ounces yet today I wake up and immediately drink almost 6 oz. then a few mins later another 4-5 oz. This evening I drank almost 8 oz. of broth and got scared because my pouch is supposed to only hold 4 oz.. All together today I have drank 38 oz almost double and am beginning to worry if something is wrong. I do notice my shakes cause less intake than clears but is it okay to be able to drink so much clear?

My doctor requires his patients to drink 64 oz per day right after surgery due to danger of dehydration. I was sipping constantly but I got it in. This was Water only. The other liquids like broth and Protein Drinks didn't count. So no 38 oz isn't too much and I agree your swelling has probably gone down quickly. Water moves through stomach pretty quickly.

Okay so this is kind of easy to explain:

You do not have a pouch so liquids are not going to sit in your stomach. You have the same anatomy just smaller in size which means the liquids go in, hit your pyloric valve and empty into your intestines. As your swelling decreases, you will be able to consume liquids faster without any issue. I can now chug liquids without issue.

Think of your stomach as the Kitchen sink, look at the drain. Dump Clear Liquids in and they go right through, dump in some thicker liquids like Soup, or cottage cheese, and it goes through slower, then think refried Beans or eggs even slower, and then dump some chewed up meats down on that drain and it's gonna take forever to go through. That's exactly how our stomach and pyloric valve works with food consistency going down into your intestines.

Nothing is wrong with your stomach. It's normal for liquids to be easier to drink as time progresses, it's a good sign you are healing.

Your stomach is not going to hold onto liquids because it's a stomach not a pouch. At almost 23 months out, I can eat more than 4oz of food, and so can many others. Your final sleeve size will not be determined until you are closer to a year out. It all depends on your stomach length, and surgical technique. I can also eat 6-8oz of mushy foods per meal especially if I stretch my meal out, and chew everything to mush. I know very few people that are over 1 year out that can only eat 4oz of food per meal unless they only eat dense Protein, and even then, they can fit in a couple ounces of veggies or starches.

Do not panic. You need 64oz of clear fluids per day so you keep pushing fluids so you don't get dehydrated.

I am aware of the minimum required but from researching, I estimated it would take some time to work up to that. Thanks for the assurance it's not too soon to be doing so. That's why I love this forum, always someone willing to help :D Guess I will drink a little more as I am now up to 44. Maybe I will even get close before I go to bed lol.

Thx again!

now you all have me concerned.. I have 8 ounces of broth 3x a day and maybe 4 Popsicle the entire day and i milk a 16oz bottle of Water all day long with crystal light there is NO way I'm even near 64oz

UGH.... how will I know if I'm dehydrated.. I've not learned or 'felt' the resistance yet...all I know is I'm still losing weight and I think I feel ok.. :)

Okay so this is kind of easy to explain:

You do not have a pouch so liquids are not going to sit in your stomach. You have the same anatomy just smaller in size which means the liquids go in, hit your pyloric valve and empty into your intestines. As your swelling decreases, you will be able to consume liquids faster without any issue. I can now chug liquids without issue.

Think of your stomach as the Kitchen sink, look at the drain. Dump Clear Liquids in and they go right through, dump in some thicker liquids like Soup, or cottage cheese, and it goes through slower, then think refried Beans or eggs even slower, and then dump some chewed up meats down on that drain and it's gonna take forever to go through. That's exactly how our stomach and pyloric valve works with food consistency going down into your intestines.

Nothing is wrong with your stomach. It's normal for liquids to be easier to drink as time progresses, it's a good sign you are healing.

Your stomach is not going to hold onto liquids because it's a stomach not a pouch. At almost 23 months out, I can eat more than 4oz of food, and so can many others. Your final sleeve size will not be determined until you are closer to a year out. It all depends on your stomach length, and surgical technique. I can also eat 6-8oz of mushy foods per meal especially if I stretch my meal out, and chew everything to mush. I know very few people that are over 1 year out that can only eat 4oz of food per meal unless they only eat dense Protein, and even then, they can fit in a couple ounces of veggies or starches.

Do not panic. You need 64oz of clear fluids per day so you keep pushing fluids so you don't get dehydrated.

Great analogy Tiff, as always.smile.gif

now you all have me concerned.. I have 8 ounces of broth 3x a day and maybe 4 Popsicle the entire day and i milk a 16oz bottle of Water all day long with crystal light there is NO way I'm even near 64oz

UGH.... how will I know if I'm dehydrated.. I've not learned or 'felt' the resistance yet...all I know is I'm still losing weight and I think I feel ok.. :)

As you add more and more Protein it is more and more important to drink your Water so as to help your kidneys. I would really try to keep increasing it as you get further out. Weight loss is awesome but you are in this for the lon haul and you have to keep your body healthy- get your water and your supplements and your Protein.< /p>

Just keep sipping chickee. Symptoms of dehydration are dark, stinky urine, nausea, and you can pinch the skin on the back of your hand, and if it doesn't fall back into place immediately dehydration is setting in. Aim for 2oz of clear fluids every 15 minutes, over an 8 hour period, you will hit 64oz of fluids using that method.

Just keep sipping chickee. Symptoms of dehydration are dark, stinky urine, nausea, and you can pinch the skin on the back of your hand, and if it doesn't fall back into place immediately dehydration is setting in. Aim for 2oz of clear fluids every 15 minutes, over an 8 hour period, you will hit 64oz of fluids using that method.

Tiff..you amaze me! You should be a traveling VSG motivational speaker.. you said on a blog you felt you lost YOU...this is what YOU should be doing as a profession girl :)

ok good news I'm NOT dehydrated.. YEAH ME! ... I don't sip though.. dammit why can't I sip... I don't have problems drinking maybe I should be concerned?

i mean I don't gulp but I can just drink like normal .. everyone says to sip sip sip I drink drink drink LOL

I feel some kind of displaced.. I was having the lapband knew everything about it but my dr changed me the day before saying he really didn't feel it would be good for me and wanted me to really think before surgery... so I said do it then.. you know these better than I do.. DO IT... now I know NOTHING about VSG not enough time to learn before surgery but I trusted my surgeon an so glad I did cause I've lost 14lbs since surgery :) But I still feel lost.

I'm going to keep drinking.. he told me that on Tuesday he wants me to go to cottage cheese / yogurt / Tomato Soup etc.. I can't wait I LOVE CC and Yogurt and so burned out on broth :(

Thanks for all the great info.. I'm slowing trying to learn it all... just scared of messing up.. I'm 50 I realize I've lived my life but dammit I want 50 more!! :)

Agree with starry Tiff, have you thought about doing something professionally? Your advice is always spot on, non-judgmental and most important for me, easy to understand!