Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Colonoscopy after VSG

Anyone here that's had a colonoscopy so soon after VSG? I am about 5.5 weeks out and have read HORROR stories about the terrible taste of the prep solution and the amount of it. I was prescribed SUPREP and it's less than to drink than some in the past. It is 16 oz of solution followed by 32 oz of Water within an hour, and that has to be done twice before the procedure. I have been told the taste of the solution is like salty cough medicine. YUCK. I have also been told there may be some upchucking involved and am NOT ready for that. I am just wondering if any of y'all have had to do this and how you handled it. Did you just drink it as fast as possible or spread it out over a couple hours (which seems like torture, but I can't chug-a-lug it yet ) I know I should just suck it up and do it. But right now, I am still very picky about what I can drink/eat and I do NOT want to throw up.

If you did this, did you mix the solution with something other than Water? Any advice is appreciated!smile.gif

Why are you having one so soon? My doctor insisted I have mine ( I was due) before surgery as he doesn't want you to have it until long long after surgery. Wow that sounds ghastly. At least you have the smaller amount type to drink but unless this is because of a problem I don't see why you would be asked to do this - you are still healing and drinking an extreme purgatives just sounds wrong!

Why are you having one so soon? My doctor insisted I have mine ( I was due) before surgery as he doesn't want you to have it until long long after surgery. Wow that sounds ghastly. At least you have the smaller amount type to drink but unless this is because of a problem I don't see why you would be asked to do this - you are still healing and drinking an extreme purgatives just sounds wrong!

Well,TMI alert, it's because of a previous case of hemorrhoids that are acting up and he just wants to do a more thorough check. I guess it could wait, but I am in an enormous amount of pain every day. I have a call in to Dr. Aceves and want to hear his opinion on it.

I truly am dreading it.blink.gif

My doctor insisted I have it pre-op so I hope you can find another way or wait until you heal longer,

I got my answer from Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos. They said it is perfectly ok this far out as long as I don't gulp! Dr. Campos said it would also be ok if I can't do it in just one hour. It won't hurt to drag it out a little longer.

My problem is, I just don't think I could keep it down!!! Yikes.sad.gif

My advice is chill chill chill it- put it in the freezer as when it is cold it tastes better. I just hope your sleeve can handle it chilled and I just hate the stress you will be putting on it- when I say purge- you purge and purge and purge. I just had this two weeks ago....

There is a pill you can take instead of drinking the liquid. Ask your doctor about that. I have two friends who did it that way.