Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok so here it is: a quick bit about me I am 35 Wife and mother, 5'4" and 270 lbs that puts my BMI at 46.3 or very close to that. I like most have dieted and lost weight repeatedly only to gain it back plus some. I do not have a sweet tooth, I am an overeater, I just like feeling full. I've done some soul searching as suggested and other than the physical and contentment from feeling full there is no real other psychological reasoning behind this. I love food like most and that's about it. I also love working out believe it or not .... however I do not enjoy it at this weight ... I loved it when I was a smaller me. I have asthma and have been treated with steroids in the past and my argument to my insurance is that I would like to leave this option open if I ever need to use them in the future. With RN&Y you cannot take steroids period. Stomach cancer also runs in my family so having a shadow stomach just left floating in there might not be the greatest idea. I have done my research and that's what I am continuing to do now so please just don't tell me to research. I feel that the VSG best suits me and my needs. I don't want to worry about malnutrition and deficiencies as much as you do with the RN&Y. I don't really want to mess with the openings to and from my stomach nor have my intestines all pulled out of whack. I would like to hear from you, your feelings and experiences on the VSG or RN&Y. I know that my center is going to push the RN&Y and I will have to stand up for what I really want. I know or I've read that you don't loose the weight at quickly with a VSG as per the RN&Y but I am patient as long as it comes off no difference if it's a year or a year and a half. I love healthy food so I really think this could work for me.

Please Respond, I am a girl of quantity and do need much reassurance and input.

Thanks a bunch,

Micki

Micki, it sounds like you are knowledgable of both procedures and have done your research. Don't settle for anything but what you feel is best for you. I've waited 7 yrs to get the VSG. I could of had the Band or RNY paid for by Ins but my instinct and intuition tells me the sleeve is for me. I am self paying to get it. Good luck on your decision!!

I, like most people on here, researched all options before deciding on VSG. I actually ended up having to change surgeons because my first surgeon will not do VSG, states it is still experimental. (they are a teaching hospital and I think it is just not in their current curriculum). I went with VSG because I really did not like the idea of having my bowels rerouted and the possible problems associated with that. I did not want to have dumping syndrome. After all my research VSG just seemed like a duh kind of decision to me personally. Most people lose as much weight with VSG as with RNY, just a little slower, but at 1-2 years are at the same point. I had my surgery in January and just had my 12 week post op this week. I have lost 52 pounds and am 1/2 way to goal. I am soooo glad I went with this option. Just do your research and you will have to go with the procedure that makes sense to you. I have friends who have had RNY and have done fabulously.

Thanks Kelly and Leila for your responses. I do wish there was more long term information on VSG however I read through some long term information for the RN&Y and it scares the heck out of me. Leila that is great weight loss for 12 weeks, how is eating for you now as opposed to before the surgery?

I also chose VSG because I was an overeater. When I eat less, I lose weight. I just haven't ever been able to keep it up long term before without feeling like I was starving to death. This is totally working for me. I don't feel like I am starving to death and I eat a normal diet. At 4 1/2 months (including preop diet) I have lost 77 pounds and am halfway to my goal. I also eat more calories than a lot of people on here averaging around 1200 a day. However, I am totally satisfied and don't feel as if I am starving like I always did on a diet of 1200 calories.

As for the RNY, I wanted to maintain my lower stomach sphincter muscle to keep the food in the stomach longer. I have no desire for malabsorption as I am already low on Iron before surgery. With a smaller stomach, my body still works like it was made to, just on a smaller scale. The RNY was never for me. I also asked myself if I would be happy if I only lost 60-70% to my goal, and the answer was yes. Don't get me wrong, there are many people who make it to or below goal with VSG. I am just going with statistics.

So here I am happy, healthy and with only a handful of clothes in my closet that fit. Its a wonderful world with my VSG.

I am a newbie too. I am planning on getting the sleeve. My future surgeon told me point blank that the majority of the risk for the sleeve is seepage from the staples. He said that his hospital has taken extra steps to help prevent that during the procedure. It is fairly new so not alot of studies for long term but everything looks like this is the best option. He himself said his pateients had the least amount of complications with the sleeve eventhough he has performed 2400 bypasses versus 360 sleeves. The list Vitamins is small compared to that of the bypass. Furthermore a good friend of mine had the bypass completed in late December. She had has nothing but complications and regrets the bypass now, evemthough she has lost over 75lbs to date. She is now in the hospital after getting her gall bladder removed. When they did that they had to untangle or whatever her bowels. I am sure that the sleeve is the best route for me. I dont wish to be skinny, I wish to be healthy. Just talk to your doctor and surgeon and make the best choice for your body!

Ditto to all the above. I am one day post-op in Mexicali with Dr. Aceves. My daughter was sleeved on 7-1-10 and I was scheduled for 8-12-10 but had to postpone due to a fall with major injuries from which I had to recover. I have watched her progress over the last few months with amazement. She has lost 90 lbs slowly by some standards but steadily, no stalls. She says she has never felt better and her energy level is great. She made the trip with me and the personnel here are thrilled to see her looking so good and feeling so healthy.

I am a nurse and have taken care of RNY patients with terrible physical and mental complications. Also my cousin had the bypass several years ago. He lost weight at first, but not as much as 90 lbs as I recall, and has regained quite a bit of it. He is in the process of starting again to use his tool to improve his health. I would never have considered WLS until I heard about the sleeve. Reading and researching, I believe that getting rid of the old bag that has made my life miserable, my stomach...not my mother, is one of the best moves I will ever make. Best wishes in your decision making and I hope to see you join us on the losers bench!! Kathe

This is my standard reply when this question pops up every couple of days. I won't try to sway anyone one way or another, but I'll give you my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY for my revision from the band. You can also check out the revision, failure, and food issue forums on here to get an idea of some long term RNY patients. For me, it was never an option. The cons outweighed the pros.

The VSG was my 2nd, and final WLS. I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with Vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of Cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of Cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

I lost all my weight in my ticker with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve, and I did it in 10.5 months. The 115lbs fell off the first 6.5 months, and then the rest I lost as I was getting into maintenance over another 4 months.. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues for nearly a year at this point. I want to add that every WLS regardless of your choice will require discipline. Only a percentage of RNY patients dump on sugar/fat, pouches and stomas stretch, then you have the medication restrictions. I'm not trying to convince you, but these were my concerns when I knew I had to revise from the band. I started at 263 the day of my revision and today I weigh 127lbs. I bounce on the scale 125-130lbs any given week, and I couldn't be more ecstatic!

Best wishes in your research!

What a great post Tiff- that really lays it out well- great information! Reassured me of my decision as I waivered between the two as well before going VSG!

I haven't had the Sleeve yet but I can ditto everything above as well. I originally went to an orientation thinking I would do lap band but after wards was undecided. In the orientation I learned of the sleeve - I had never heard of it so I started researching it and decided it is the WLS for me. I never considered RNY - I have many friends who have severe malabsorbtion issues and also either didn't lose the weight or have gained back.

Personally I feel (my opinion) there are only two wise choices for WLS Sleeve and DS. They both are sleeves and the DS adds in the Malabsorption. The importance is the restriction of the vertical sleeve versus a pouch that can stretch out easily. I did not need the extra malabsorbion for the DS so I went with the sleeve. If it was my own mother and I had to pick one I would always pick the sleeve as option 1, if there is a later need for more restriction then the DS is option 2.

The reason the others are not a good option (my opinion) are the reason Tiffy stated--I personally have met 3 RnY Patients that have regained the weight. If you have to go drastic and reroute your intestines the best long term option is the DS. I would still recommend even to the biggest patients to start with the sleeve and see if that is enough though...

This is my standard reply when this question pops up every couple of days. I won't try to sway anyone one way or another, but I'll give you my reasons for choosing VSG over RNY for my revision from the band. You can also check out the revision, failure, and food issue forums on here to get an idea of some long term RNY patients. For me, it was never an option. The cons outweighed the pros.

The VSG was my 2nd, and final WLS. I could have easily had RNY, but I fought to have VSG as my revision from the band. Some factors I considered in deciding on VSG. The pouch that RNY offers is similar to the pouch with the band. Least to say, a pouch sucks, I love having a normal tummy, just less capacity and still fully functioning.

1) No blind stomach left behind that can be difficult to scope yet can still get ulcers and cancer.

2) 2 years max on calorie/carb/sugar malabsorption, but a lifetime of vitamin/nutrient malabsorption. This process is called adaptation, and it happens with intestinal bypass surgeries.

3) I had a pouch with the band, and it sucked. I'm pretty fond of my pyloric valve and the sleeve let me keep it. I love having a normal functioning stomach, just smaller in capacity.

4) Regain stats and #of RNY patients seeking revision truly scared the poop out of me

5) I have too many friends in real life that struggle with Vitamin deficiencies post-RNY, and most of them either never got to goal, or have gained back a significant amount of their weight.

6) The long term complications with RNY were too numerous for my comfort level. Pouch or stoma dilation, strictures, vitamin/nutrient deficiencies, ulcers,

7) I researched gastrectomies that had been performed for stomach cancer and ulcer patients, and found comfort in the long term results and minimal complications of patients that had lost most or all of their stomachs had dealt with over several years.

8) I was a volume eater, and knew a restrictive only procedure would work for me. That was my thought process when I got the band, and I thought I could beat the odds on complications. Sadly, the band only lasted 8 months before I had to revise.

9) I did not want to have food or medication restrictions. I chose WLS to have a "normal" life, and I think it's normal to eat a couple of Cookies. With RNY, I wasn't willing to go through the possibility of dumping if I wanted to have a couple of Cookies, or a slice of cake on occasion. The big scare for me is medication restrictions for life. NSAIDS and steroids are a NO GO for life with a RNY pouch. I realize that I may never be diagnosed with a condition or disease that requires steroid use, but it is possible. I want the best long term results with the least amount of complications. Malabsorption is not anything to play with in my mind, and I was not willing to take that risk.

I lost all my weight in my ticker with the exception of 7lbs with the sleeve, and I did it in 10.5 months. The 115lbs fell off the first 6.5 months, and then the rest I lost as I was getting into maintenance over another 4 months.. It's been a fabulous journey, and I'm easily maintaining with zero issues for nearly a year at this point. I want to add that every WLS regardless of your choice will require discipline. Only a percentage of RNY patients dump on sugar/fat, pouches and stomas stretch, then you have the medication restrictions. I'm not trying to convince you, but these were my concerns when I knew I had to revise from the band. I started at 263 the day of my revision and today I weigh 127lbs. I bounce on the scale 125-130lbs any given week, and I couldn't be more ecstatic!

Best wishes in your research!

THANKS TIFFYKINS FOR THE GOOD INFO.