Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Diet Coke Debate

I had my surgery on 11/2/10. At an appt on Sept 21st my surgeon told me that I'd not be able to drink diet coke at all after surgery. So, I gave up the DC cold turkey as of that day which means I hadn't had any for a little over six months. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to test the waters again. Now I'm right back to my old habits of drinking 1 or 2 a day. Sometimes that's a can...sometimes it's a medium from McD's (never ever eat the food...just the diet coke). Now as habits go, I don't suppose this is the worst one to have as far as weight loss is concerned, but I have to admit that I feel really guilty. As of yet, I haven't seen any negative effects from drinking it. I REALLY like DC so it's how I treat myself. Other people get a starbucks, I drink diet coke.

With all of that said, what did your docs say about drinking diet coke after surgery. I realize now that I never asked my Dr. what the problem is with drinking it so I have no idea what the ramifications may be. I can't imagine that it would stretch the sleeve as I don't drink with food ever, and so I would assume that it just goes on through. I am concerned that the sweet drink is causing me to crave carbs, but I think the Powerade zero that I drink would do the same. At this point I'm just trying to make a decision for myself. Am I or am I not going to drink the diet coke. I've enjoyed the heck out of my diet coke for the last couple of weeks, but I think I could give it up permanently if I thought there was a really good reason.

What's your take?

Ehhhh I've been drinking soda for well over a year with zero change to my sleeve capacity. I drink caffeine free sodas most of the time, usually gingerale or Fanta soda. Sometimes I drink diet sometimes I don't. Early out it causes discomfort because of the residual swelling, but I can drink soda just like I can with Water. Soda does leach the Calcium from our bones so make sure you're taking your calcium citrate.

Some report the sweet cravings with soda, but I don't get them. liquids in, liquids out, just like with Water, tea, coffee, whatever other liquids we drink. It's not like soda sits in there brewing for hours on end blowing out our sleeves.

I also know tons of RNY patients that drink soda without issue. But, I'm not advocating going off your surgeon's plan, but I'm not a believer that soda has all this phenomenal power over our sleeves.

Just want to jump in and say I've been drinking DC a couple times a week recently-I'm 11 weeks out today. I cannot imagine that those bubbles could really be doing something bad if I just sip. Like you said, I really like diet coke and it's such a nice treat. I know its not good for me. I'd probably be better at not drinking if somebody could actually prove to me I was stretching my sleeve-but I really just don't understand the potential mechanics of that.

My doc said no soda ever ever eeeeever again because it could stretch the sleeve. I *loved* diet cola more than anything a person could eat. I was hardcore with a sixpack a day and I quit cold turkey too.

I'm fine without it for now. What I can't believe is how everyone used to ride me about drinking the stuff because it was supposedly making me fat and keeping me awake and quite frankly neither one of these things is true.

I think..if it's not hurting your weight loss, your nutrition, your wellbeing or your sleeve....eh.

I quit all caffeinated drinks at the start of pre-op diet. The surgeon said diet coke is bad because of all the sodium and the caffeine would irritate my stomach. It has been two months and I finally caved in to my caffeine cravings by drinking iced tea. So far no problems.

I thought it was bad because of the acid and carbonation. I was a diet pepsi-holic before my sleeve. I miss it sooooo much.

I was told to give up all caffeine, including pop & tea. You've got to understand, living in Cape Breton where the tea is ALWAYS on, well......asking me to give up tea was like asking me to cut my right arm off! But I did it, gave it up for 3 months before surgery, and switched to Decaf, which tasted horrible!

Now here's the kicker....

The first day in the hospital that I was allowed something to "eat", lo & behold, what did I find on my food tray? A CUP OF TEA! I rang for the nurse and asked her if it was decaf, she said no, it was regular tea......I slurped it down with reckless abandon and have enjoyed my tea ever since with no problems! So, I'm going to try pop soon too!

I've tried to have a sip of a diet Sprite....and I was a 5-6 diet coke a day girl...and really it was too much for me. I'm 3 months and 1 week out, so it may be that it will be okay a bit later on. My primary concern is that I KNOW once I start back on soda, I won't drink my Water. Hence, I am just as happy believing my stomach will instantly rupture!

My surgeon did say it was okay to have them after a few months, though!

I was told it would trigger bad habits. I used to love drinking my diet soda with my meals. Especially pizza, and mexican food lol. I think it made it taste so much better :)...now food is just ok. I can't imagine drinking a diet soda by itself. And since I can't drink and eat together I figure what's the point lol.

I tried a sip of my wife's diet coke this evening. The carbonation burned a little bit. I think I will stick to iced tea for my caffeine. Note this is NOT sweet tea which is loaded with sugar.

I drink diet pop a few times a week, as well as coffee sweetened with Splenda (or Sweet'n'Lo if no Splenda is available). Neither seems to bother me. I have occasional cravings for sweet things regardless, might as well quell them with a diet pop rather than ice cream or something.

My doc said no soda ever ever eeeeever again because it could stretch the sleeve. I *loved* diet cola more than anything a person could eat. I was hardcore with a sixpack a day and I quit cold turkey too.

I'm fine without it for now. What I can't believe is how everyone used to ride me about drinking the stuff because it was supposedly making me fat and keeping me awake and quite frankly neither one of these things is true.

I think..if it's not hurting your weight loss, your nutrition, your wellbeing or your sleeve....eh.

My doc said the same thing!! I am gonna play it safe and kiss Pepsi Max bye bye... :(

As with everything else, sodas are allowed in moderation on my program (which is all about moderation). As are coffee and tea, and I've been having my morning coffee since day four post-op, no problem. The thing I loved most pre-op was sparkling Water, lived on it. I've had it since surgery (I think there's no truth to the sleeve stretching thing about carbonation, but that's JMO) and it just didn't sit well. I'll try again later. I was quite bummed I must say. <_<

For the past oh 3-4 weeks? I've had either Big Red or Dr Pepper (regular not diet). Now, keep in mind, I have maybe 2 ounces in a rocks glass over ice and I've only done it less than a handful of times. In a glass over ice, I think the carbonation tends to fizzle out rather quickly. I know I suck more air (pre-op experience) when drinking directly from a coke can or bottle than a glass so that's my method. I don't let it become a habit or an every day thing since I'm still in the losing stage. I typically have my "cocktail" when we're outside bbqing on the weekends because I'm not cleared for alcohol still and I'd like something besides Water or half cal gatorade. Rarely do I finish the whole 2 ounces too. I just want the taste of something different.

My dr. said absolutely no diet coke. (I love it too.) He said I could have 1/2 cup of coffee per day and he said iced tea in general was o.k. with him. But none of my beloved diet coke. Too hard on the stomach he said.