Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here's my story. Was always a somewhat hefty kid. In junior high (7th grade) came home to an empty house and was lonely. food became my friend. It didn't help that even at that age I had a regular menstral cycle and a 32C bra size!

When I graduated college I was about 185. A few years later, I saw the scale reach 195 and I told myself I was not going to be over 200. My now ex husband had me walk 5 miles a night and I had a can of Chunky Soup for lunch and a can for dinner. I dropped down to 140 lbs. I was then diagnosed with major depressive disorder. A couple of years later got pregnant with my daughter and gained back the 60 lbs I had lost. By the way, I'm only 5'3".

A few years later, at the time of my divorce, I made a suicide attempt. The years following my divorce I continued to gain and gain weight. I only went through my primary care doctor for anti-depressants from time to time.

In April 2010 I went to a psycharitrist, I was diagnosed as bipolar. I was informed that depressed people lose weight, but when a bipolar (manic depressive) gets depressed, they gain weight. I was also told that when people have depression that it tends to stay flat... or at one level. Bipolar individuals are the ones who attempt or do commit suicide. After having mania you crash and the more often this happens the lower point to which you crash. I share this only because if you feel this way, please get help. Once you are on the right mood stablizers, you will feel your life be very different.

The problem with 99% of the bipolar meds is they make you gain weight. Even when I did my psych eval with a dr other than my own, when he heard I had been on Seroquel, he said "You can eat a piece of lettuce and gain 5 lbs on Seroquel." Ain't that the truth!!!! Along with my 1200 mg of Lithium, I am on 40 mg of Omeprazole and 50 mg of Atenonol. I also have sleep apnea.

I attended a seminar in Dec. 2010 upon the suggestion of by Gynecologist. I had one D&C due to 3 months of bleeding and was looking at needing a second if I didn't get my weight off quick. I also was having a hard time fitting in an airplane seat and I do have to travel for work. Embarassingly, I also could no longer clean myself properly after a bowel movement.

I decided on the Sleeve as it would be the least invasive with my bipolar meds. I don't make a lot of money but our company makes up for it with excellent insurance. I paid $100 to my surgeon. For my pre-op testing I paid $400. I know I am very very lucky. I know on Jan. 1 I was 295 according to my scale at home. I started all the pre-op testing Jan. 14 and I had my surgery on Feb. 22, 2011. I almost didn't have time to do the two week pre-op shake diet! On the date of surgery I was 264. I'm now at 246.

I am struggling with my bipolar. I'm sure my medication will need to be adjusted but I have never been on any one med combination for more than 5 months. Also my anxiety has become worse but I think the stress of trying to remember to eat (I have had no appetite) and just the recent added stress from work has caused this. If you have bipolar and are struggling with your mood stablization, I would love to hear from you. I really don't know if it is the surgery or just me. My biggest problem is the side effects from the various meds. I was on Abilify for about 2 weeks but I had to move constantly or I would have severe pain in my legs. I was on Stavzor (similar to Depakote) but my liver levels were raised. I was on Seroquel but my sugar levels were raised. I was on Wellbutrion but did not help. The lithium I am on now may cause issues with my thyroid (I have that blood test on saturday) and causes me nausea. My lorezapan for my anxiety has been my only constant. I do see my psych next week but I like hearing what others are experiencing. That's why I've come to the VSG forum.

Welcome to the boards. Please feel free to ask any questions you have and read, read, read the older posts!

I do not have the same issues you do, but I have been on an emotional roller coaster since my surgery. I have had at least 3 major anxiety attacks. They are usually about my concern about what I am eating. When something doesn't go down perfectly, it can trigger the anxiety. I fill up with terror about my stomach tearing open.

These episodes usually pass within an hour or so. Like I said, I am not clinically depressed. However, everyone goes through their own emotional turmoil to a different degree.

Hopefully, someone with a similar diagnosis to you will read your post and respond.

Congrats on your weight loss!

Lara

Over the years, same thing: You name it, I was on it but I also medicated with booze & drugs for years. I went to treatment in 2001 and they put me on Seroquel + Librium for a year. A light Trazadone that I took at night was my ticket for relief until last year & several deaths pushed me to something more. I've been on Pristique for 6 months which helps the seratonin & neonephrine levels plus seems to give me energy. I also try to do the natural stuff: I take a Gabba & liquid melatonin at night plus hydroxine (dr prescribed) and I sleep like a baby. Any/all could be swapped for the Lorezam = ask your doc.

Over the years, same thing: You name it, I was on it but I also medicated with booze & drugs for years. I went to treatment in 2001 and they put me on Seroquel + Librium for a year. A light Trazadone that I took at night was my ticket for relief until last year & several deaths pushed me to something more. I've been on Pristique for 6 months which helps the seratonin & neonephrine levels plus seems to give me energy. I also try to do the natural stuff: I take a Gabba & liquid melatonin at night plus hydroxine (dr prescribed) and I sleep like a baby. Any/all could be swapped for the Lorezam = ask your doc.

Thanks Luanne. Before the bipolar diagnosis, I was using a beer or two a night just to shut off my brain. When I was first on the Abilify and then the Stavzor/Seroquel combination, I was in such a mental fog that I almost said enough of this and went back to drinking! I couldn't believe that it took 3 months to get out of the hazy bubble. I think my doc thought I was "crazy". Have you had any side effects with the Pristique? Energy is one of the things I struggled with before the surgery. Right now the energy level seems better but I'm always worried about the lack of energy coming back.

No side effects and I feel the best I've felt in sometime. Research & talk to your doctor about Pristique. Good luck.

Thanks Luanne. Before the bipolar diagnosis, I was using a beer or two a night just to shut off my brain. When I was first on the Abilify and then the Stavzor/Seroquel combination, I was in such a mental fog that I almost said enough of this and went back to drinking! I couldn't believe that it took 3 months to get out of the hazy bubble. I think my doc thought I was "crazy". Have you had any side effects with the Pristique? Energy is one of the things I struggled with before the surgery. Right now the energy level seems better but I'm always worried about the lack of energy coming back.

I am not bi-polar but I do suffer from depression and several family members are bi-polar. I want to recommend crazymeds.us as a wonderful resource which approaches the meds and the conditions with refreshing honesty and humor. There is lots of current info. Good luck to you and hugs from me.