Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After-care when you've had surgery in Mexico?

Hey, guys. I'm nearly decided I'm going to have this surgery and that I want Dr. Aceves to do it in Mexicali, Mexico. My one big concern is: what if something goes wrong afterwards? Will I be able to arrange for a surgeon to take care of me here? I'm pretty sure my primary care doctor will be okay with ordering my blood work and upper GI (although I'm going to check with her first) but I'm more concerned about a major complication.

What did others do? Also, and I hate to think that this might be necessary but one never knows, what if something goes horribly wrong as a result of the surgery and an issue of a malpractice suit comes up? Is that even a feasible option when one's had the surgery in Mexico?

I'm less worried about legal issues as I am about complications and how I'd address those. Anyone who's had surgery abroad, especially in Mexico, I would greatly appreciate your insights!

Thanks!

Ann

Hi!

I am very early out, but will try to answer your questions.

I have a PCP that will handle all bloodwork and GI's, etc. A local bariatric surgeon has agreed to handle anything that comes up complication wise. Thankfully, Dr. Aceves is known for being a complication free Dr!!! I hope nothing goes wrong, but if it does, I have a backup plan. I have already talked to the nutritionist there. They are very helpful and will even answer some questions over the phone to save me a trip. I guess it just depends on how your local Dr.'s feel about it. BTW, Dr. Aceves answers any and all questions via email or phone, also.

As for the malpractice stuff, that has been discussed here recently ad nauseamtongue.gif

Really, the Drs in the states make you follow so many strict guidelines and jump through so many hoops that they are covering their butts no matter what, and they are paying that HIGH dollar malpractice insurance so they have no intention of being sued. (And who can blame them, people are so sue happy)

As for the Mexican Drs, you cannot sue them. At least I don't think you can.

So the question is, what's the difference? You probably won't win a malpractice lawsuit here in the states (unless the Dr. falls asleep during surgery and slices the wrong organ openwink.gif), and you can't sue the Mexican Drs. So, no need to really worry about it.

Good luck to you. You are gonna love Dr. Aceves and his staff.

Another thing I would think about is nutrician counseling afterwards as well. One thing that is important to me is having aftercare that includes a nutricianist as part of my check ups. I meet with her at each stage (clear liquid to mushies, mushies to soft, soft to normal food) and then again throughout the next 2 years to keep me on track and discuss any problems, etc. Because this eating will be so new to me that was a key piece of this whole change for me. Just something to think about.

Hi,

I am 3 weeks out from surgery with Dr Aceves. His strategy is to keep you in a real hospital (not a clinic) for a couple of days after surgery so you have the dye leak test and a barium swallow leak test before you leave. As far as after care, I think there is a nutritionist in his group that you can call. I am a Kaiser patient and I have access to a nutritionist through their wellness program. I told them before I had surgery what I was doing and they put me on their usual bariatric follow up schedule. They out-source their bariatric patients anyway, so it isn't a big deal that I only participate in the follow up.

You would be best off to talk to your insurance provider and ask them what they would do if you show up to the emergency room with a complication from the surgery. Will they pay for it? Do the doctors understand the symptoms of complication in this type of surgery?

Dr Aceves will take very good care of you and he won't let you leave if there is any complication. You'll see with your own eyes that there is no leak and you get to take the xrays with you to give to your US doctor.

Good luck!

Lara

I second what the others here have said. Most (not all, but most) major complications occur shortly after surgery. Dr. Aceves keeps you hospitalized for 3 nights versus some U.S. surgeons who keep you one night, but if there are complications they are close by. If you have any kind of life-threatening complication, you are an emergency patient and any ER is obligated to treat you. If you look at the statistics, however, the risk of complications is very low, and even lower for an experienced surgeon. Dr. Aceves offers a 3 month follow-up in person, but of course you have to go back to Mexico and there are hospital fees to pay ($150 for the flouroscopy, I think). If your US insurance has a bariatric program, maybe you can pick up your aftercare from them.

You generally cannot sue a Mexican surgeon for malpractice (you sign a waiver) and if you tried, you would spend a lot of money on Mexican lawyers and you would not receive anywhere near the kind of cash settlement that is given out here in the states, so it's just not worth it.