Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buying Clothes While Loosing Weight?

I was wondering where you have bought clothes while loosing weight? I went shopping the other day at Goodwill during there $.50 days, and found nothing not even a shirt that fit me right.. It's so hard knowing that if I buy something that cost more "regular jcpenny shopping trip" it will be to big for me within the month. Yes it might be worth it to have clothes that fit, but I can't seem to just let go and buy. I have already invested a lot of money into new bras so the clothes I feel if I can't get them for less then a $1 then I just don't need them.. Has anyone else gone through this? I am hitting yard sales this weekend so hopefully that will help with some clothes.. Thanks!!

I bought clearanced clothes at Old Navy a lot. Luckily, on our base we have a thrift shop that allows consignments, and I've consigned a lot of my clothes through the thrift shop. Also, I shopped at other thrift stores, Goodwill, and consignment stores. I would buy staples, jeans, shirts, and lots of sweaters for the winter months. Before I started consigning clothes to recoup some of the money I spent, I donated the majority of my clothing to the local women's shelter. I had tons of business casual clothing, and was able to give back to the local community.

It's tough when you're losing pounds and inches so rapidly, but it feels great to buy clothes that fit, and be able to pay it forward to someone else.

I am also shopping at Goodwill and other consignment shops. One other thing that I am doing is now that the weather is getting warmer, I am shopping for more dresses. As I lose weight, I can always take in the sides of the dress so that it will fit me again.

Just try to find good deals. I just got my first pair of regular jeans - DKNY for $20 at Macy's. Look for coupons and deals!

The thing is, getting clothes that fit and look good is awesome, because they boost confidence and spirit in so many ways. First of all, you fit in new clothes that you never fit in before. With my new jeans I was standing in the dressing rooms and kept turning and prancing - and I am usually not that type of girl. I just loved the fact that I fit into the normal size 16 (big girl 16 is MUCH bigger) and I just looked sharp!

The other thing is that it actually helps people notice change in you. I know some don't want people to comment or so, but I was talking to our HR lady yesterday and out of the blue she said "You look good". I was wearing a new cardigan and my new jeans, but in all honesty - I don't think strangers ever told me I look good, husband, family - yeah. But in order for a colleague I barely know to say that, I felt the change must be very significant...and it made me feel fuzzy and happy all day. Would she have said the same if I wore my old jeans pulled up by a belt and an old sweater that was way baggy? I doubt it!

So, squeeze $50 of the budget and spoil yourself. Let everyone see what you know inside all along, you are getting better, feeling better, looking better!

A bought myself a few pair of jeans and leggings from the sales, and I bought them a size smaller so now they fit. I find leggings very useful and flattering, and I use them with boots and those biggish tops that everbody's using now. I have been wearing the same leggings for months .I used to hate leggings but now that I can show off my slimmer legs I love them!

Clearance racks for sizes smaller then you are now help. I have gotten a lot of great clothes from www.freecycle.com and as I loose more weight, I will give my clothes to homeless and back up to freecycle. Also, ask your friends....you would not believe how many of our friends are ready to go through their closets at this time of year...make it a party!

I'm not a Goodwill fan, either. I have to look the part for school and most of the stuff at Goodwill....well, let's just say it's there for a reason. I like Ebay, because you can buy NWT or NWOT stuff for half the price or less. I'd say that half of my current wardrobe is from Ebay. It's also great for buying stuff you tried on that was too expensive - odds are, you can find the same stuff you saw in the store on Ebay for way less.

Go to a thrift store in a nice neighborhood for more upscale clothing. YOu have to go back sometimes to find the deal.

I have a 3 dollar budget. If it's not 3 or less, I don't buy it. But, I've also been VERY lucky to have a friend who had VSG in April 2010 who showers me with her old clothes!

Shopping at Jcpenney has helped, last week I purchased six sweaters for 4.97 a piece. I know this is crazy but I've purchased a pair of black pants and one pair of jeans keep changing my shirts this takes me through work week and weekend. I've also purchased a few dresses, and a black skirt. Again I know this is crazy but I can not afford to keep buying clothes every month and no one at work can tell I'm wearing the same pants or skirt. Buying new underwear has been easy I only go were I have a coupon or they are having a buy one get one sell.

I was wondering where you have bought clothes while loosing weight? I went shopping the other day at Goodwill during there $.50 days, and found nothing not even a shirt that fit me right.. It's so hard knowing that if I buy something that cost more "regular jcpenny shopping trip" it will be to big for me within the month. Yes it might be worth it to have clothes that fit, but I can't seem to just let go and buy. I have already invested a lot of money into new bras so the clothes I feel if I can't get them for less then a $1 then I just don't need them.. Has anyone else gone through this? I am hitting yard sales this weekend so hopefully that will help with some clothes.. Thanks!!

I'm definitely in the get some clothes that fit well camp. Even if you just get a few basics on clearance somewhere. I was at a birthday party last week and a few of my friends called me out on my too big clothes and told me I needed to go shopping. They were right. The problem was that in my entire adult life I've only ever shopped at Lane Bryant. The last time I went to Lane Bryant...everything was too big for me. Yes, that's a great thing, but my fear was that LB's women's sizes would be too big, and the "regular" store clothes would still be too little. FInally I bit the bullet and decided to try out Old Navy. I had been wearing a Lane Bryant size 14 jeans so I tried on Old Navy's 14 and 16 jeans and a few XXL tops. Waay too big! What??? I skipped out of that dressing room and got some size 12 jeans and a few Large tops and they all fit. I ended up buying two pairs of jeans and four tops. You'd be amazed what a difference it makes in day to day life to have clothes that fit and show off your new figure. Compliments left and right, and it's such a blessing to be able to look in the mirror and SEE how different I look. Before now I didn't really think I looked that different. Now I can see for myself how skinny I'm getting...and I LOVE it!

I completely understand what you are talking about. It is difficult buying new clothes (and shoes) now that the extra weight is gone. I was and am not a small gal. I always have to buy my bras from Avenue or Lane Bryant. So buying a new bra or two a month is an additional $30 a peice. And then I can not wear it in a month! Not a happy camper. For example before sleeve, I was a womans 30, now I am a 22/24. So NOTHING fits. I do wear a lot of leggins, and cotton pants which I can get from Walmart for about $7-14 a peice. That has been doing well since I drop in size so frequently. But the one thing that I have encountered recently is that I need a jacket. You know because the weather is changing. I CANT FIND ONE!!! I dont want to buy a jacket for 40-50 bucks and cant wear it in a month, so off to goodwill. or Old Navy to find a jacket. Well good luck.

Girl, you gotta look for sales! I just got a great bra from Lane Bryant for $11.99 during their 40% off sale!

I just don't have much money to invest in to anything right now. I just spent $54 on 2 new bras because the bras I had where no longer fitting the girls.. I have managed to find a new pair of jeans from Goodwill that were on sale for $.50!!! I grabbed them up as quickly as I could. However a week later they are already baggy on me and I'm not quite a 14 yet, so here I am stuck in the middle again. Do they sale size 15 pants/shorts? LoL As for my tops I don't worry about them I have a neighbor that just cleared out some of her closet space and sent a bag full of shirts/blouses over to me and I must say they fit perfectly. Some are to small, but hey I will get there eventually. And by suggestion I have started buying pants/shorts that I find during my $.50 day trips to goodwill. I figure I will fit them eventually so I might as well buy them while they are so cheap. LoL My 1st garage sale tomorrow let hope I find some goody goody deals..