Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Huge Problem with Amount of Food Amount -HELP

I am two months out of surgery and after one month I had eaten a little too much and it made me sick so since then I have really monitored my intake by amount rather than fullness and I am not loosing much weight at all but I figured slow and steady was the important thing.

Anyway last night I was making dinner and got a phone call, there was a crisis at work and as I'm making plates I am on my headset talking the entire time. My husband was in the living room and he said "You are on your 3rd taco" and I said "I can't be, I can't eat that much anymore". Anyway, he was right, as I was talking I had eaten 3 tacos and here's the issue. I wasn't overly full or sick or anything.

I am so worried and upset. i think my stitches have come out or I've stretched my stomach. I dread going back to the hospital in Mexico, I was so ill after the surgery and I just don't know what to do, but this was totally my pre-surgery amount of food. I can see eating too much and getting sick but not eating too much and feeling fine and not overly full. There is something very very wrong and I'm afraid I've done something to my stomach. ANY help would be appreciated.

Hi kuzzybev. I know what you mean. My plication doesn't really restrict me much and I just have to monitor myself and try and be careful (I know, not so different from before!!). My doc said that being sick in the first 3 weeks can cause you problems with your stitches and you said that you were sick when you were 4 weeks out. You're probably one of the unlucky ones that doesn't get much restriction. See this thread for details http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/11938-not-enough-restriction/page__p__103315#entry103315

I've also seen VSGers on here with similar threads, so I guess it can happen regardless of procedure. The only thing you can really do is do a barium swallow to see if you're stomach's as it's meant to be post surgery.

Hi,

First, sorry you are going through this. I'm wondering if it's because you were eating dinner. I am only a month out but I notice that I can eat more at night than during the day. I also seem to be able to eat more when I'm at home than when I'm at restaurants, I'm not sure why.

Maybe do the 5 day pouch test and see if you can gauge your tummy size? You can google it and get info.

Good luck to you!!

Hi kuzzybev. I know what you mean. My plication doesn't really restrict me much and I just have to monitor myself and try and be careful (I know, not so different from before!!). My doc said that being sick in the first 3 weeks can cause you problems with your stitches and you said that you were sick when you were 4 weeks out. You're probably one of the unlucky ones that doesn't get much restriction. See this thread for details http://www.verticals...315#entry103315

I've also seen VSGers on here with similar threads, so I guess it can happen regardless of procedure. The only thing you can really do is do a barium swallow to see if you're stomach's as it's meant to be post surgery.

Hey TJPlication.

I think it is really interesting that we are both Doctor Corvala patients and both encountering the same issues. I hear you about monitoring myself and being careful and I never expected this to be a magic bullet but I did expect it to be a tool that would help me get where I needed to go. I appreciate the response and support and read the other thread. Thank You.

Hi,

First, sorry you are going through this. I'm wondering if it's because you were eating dinner. I am only a month out but I notice that I can eat more at night than during the day. I also seem to be able to eat more when I'm at home than when I'm at restaurants, I'm not sure why.

Maybe do the 5 day pouch test and see if you can gauge your tummy size? You can google it and get info.

Good luck to you!!

I am going to do the 5 day pouch test. Thank you so much for mentioning this. I am mainly worried that I have stretched out or done some damage to my stomach. I am scared to death of more surgery. I am going to try that and see what happens.

Thank You.

Check out Dr Watkins' post on stitches, etc here http://www.verticals...291-gps-update/

You could ask and find out which type of stitches Dr López Corvala uses.

I never bothered asking, as the day I got out of hospital I realized I wasn't given my post op barium swallow image so phoned that same day to request it. Anyway long story short - I was told sure no probs we'll scan and email it, only to be told after 2 weeks of phoning and emailing that records are disposed of 2 weeks after surgery!! angry.gifNeedless to say I have NO confidence in anything post-operative with them (I knew it would be minimal follow up, but really that's too much).

If you find out on the stitches please let me know.

Check out Dr Watkins' post on stitches, etc here http://www.verticals...291-gps-update/

You could ask and find out which type of stitches Dr López Corvala uses.

I never bothered asking, as the day I got out of hospital I realized I wasn't given my post op barium swallow image so phoned that same day to request it. Anyway long story short - I was told sure no probs we'll scan and email it, only to be told after 2 weeks of phoning and emailing that records are disposed of 2 weeks after surgery!! angry.gif Needless to say I have NO confidence in anything post-operative with them (I knew it would be minimal follow up, but really that's too much).

If you find out on the stitches please let me know.

I really should have gone with Dr. Watkins but I couldn't face the thought of the plane ride after surgery, since I live right here in San Diego, but I am beginning to believe I threw my money away. I am going to make an appointment and go down there next week. I don't know what else to do. I will let you know what I find out.

I would be concerned. I know that I am 7 weeks post op and I can still only eat like 2 oz of food. My doctor won't let me eat bread or corn so that throws out all kinds of taco shells but I am confident that I could only eat the insides of 1. Maybe.

I really should have gone with Dr. Watkins but I couldn't face the thought of the plane ride after surgery, since I live right here in San Diego, but I am beginning to believe I threw my money away. I am going to make an appointment and go down there next week. I don't know what else to do. I will let you know what I find out.

I do not have the Plication, but I just wanted to wish you well - and I hope everything turns out ok. Please check back in and let us know. :(

I saw Dr. Watkin's post on stitches and I emailed all that to my surgeon and asked if he did it this way and he gave me a thorough explanation of his stitching process and what materials he used. I am 22 days out and there is no way I could eat 4 tacos let alone even 1! There must be something up with your stomach size. I would like to be able to eat more actually but I just can't physically do it.

I am two months out of surgery and after one month I had eaten a little too much and it made me sick so since then I have really monitored my intake by amount rather than fullness and I am not loosing much weight at all but I figured slow and steady was the important thing.

Anyway last night I was making dinner and got a phone call, there was a crisis at work and as I'm making plates I am on my headset talking the entire time. My husband was in the living room and he said "You are on your 3rd taco" and I said "I can't be, I can't eat that much anymore". Anyway, he was right, as I was talking I had eaten 3 tacos and here's the issue. I wasn't overly full or sick or anything.

I am so worried and upset. i think my stitches have come out or I've stretched my stomach. I dread going back to the hospital in Mexico, I was so ill after the surgery and I just don't know what to do, but this was totally my pre-surgery amount of food. I can see eating too much and getting sick but not eating too much and feeling fine and not overly full. There is something very very wrong and I'm afraid I've done something to my stomach. ANY help would be appreciated.

Hello,...I feel for you. I had plication1 week ago Tuesday. The same day that I had my surgery, there was a lady there that had plication in November and she hardly lost any weight. They did some tests and found that her sleeve was too big, so they next day she had to go for surgery again to tighten her sleeve. She didn't have to pay for the second surgery.(Dr. Ortiz OCC). I would phone your doctor and talk to them about this. The squeeky wheel gets the oil. I know surgery again isn't attractive,...but?

Hello,...I feel for you. I had plication1 week ago Tuesday. The same day that I had my surgery, there was a lady there that had plication in November and she hardly lost any weight. They did some tests and found that her sleeve was too big, so they next day she had to go for surgery again to tighten her sleeve. She didn't have to pay for the second surgery.(Dr. Ortiz OCC). I would phone your doctor and talk to them about this. The squeeky wheel gets the oil. I know surgery again isn't attractive,...but?

Oh Wow. I didn't want to hear that. But actually if they made a mess of it the first time I wont go back. i would prefer to find someone like Dr Watkins that knows what they're doing and go to him instead.

Thank you for the info. Thanks very much.

MY PLICATION IS ON 3-25-2011 SO I CANT SAY I PERSONALLY KNOW HOW YOU FEEL OR WHAT YOU ARE GOING THRU. BUT, I WILL SAY THAT I AM PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR STOMACH..TAKE CARE AND THINK POSITIVE..IM SURE EVERYTHING WILL WORK OUT FOR YOU! :)

So sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems.

I find that if I don’t actually sit down and have a formal meal time, then I am likely to eat a lot more!!! Just the other day I wasn’t unable to take a lunch break at work, so I ate at my desk taking a bite here or a bite there whenever I had a moment to pick up my sandwich. I continued to eat my meal for over an hour, and when I finally had a moment to stop and think I realized that I had eaten an entire 6" sub and a small bag of baked chips - this is nearly twice as much as I would normally eat!!!! I was so upset - I talked to a nurse at my doctor’s office today and she assured me that everything was fine. She said that when you take so long to eat, your stomach has time to process part of the food before you are finished, so there is more room for additional food. She advised me that no meal should take longer than 15 - 20 min to eat. I'm not sure how long you were on the phone or how long it took you to eat those tacos; but if your work is anything like mine that call may have been pretty lengthy, and that may be the explanation for why you were able to eat so much.

Also, I should point out that that evening for supper and every meal since I have eaten a regular amount and felt just as satisfied as I did before I tried to O.D. on Subway!

I wish you all the best!!!!

Hello I know exactly what you mean, I got a plication in August 2010 and have not lose anymore what since September 2010, I wish I live closer as I would be going to see him and ask what can I do now, I spent all this money and haven't lose anymore weight, still watch what I eat, now exercise as people know I have gone for surgery and I haven't lost any weight. I wish now that I would of had other surgery as I spent a lot of money for what no weight lose, Would Dr, Roderigues in Juarez Mx help me send me a ticket to fly down so he could look at the surgery and see if it is working..or offer me help, I was told that I would lose at least 10 lbs NOT TRUE, I was looking forward to that, very disappointed in Gastric Vertical Plication Surgery!!!