Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 6 update (for those who are interested)

Howdy Sleevers,

I know some of you are have surgery soon and are interested in my day to day so I will keep posted as things change.

Yesterday evening My husband was in dire need of "HIM" time. He came home after picking our son up from school and picking up some groceries and said "THIS MOM SHIT SUCKS". A BBQ & BEER intervention was needed so I went with him to our local BBQ joint (sort of our cheers) for about an hour and a half. That was as much as I had the strength for since I was still doing a clear liquid diet. Not much fuel in the tank.

This morning I woke up with more stomach pain than I have in the past. More like I'd been a punching bag during the night. I did decide today to start drinking powdered Protein drinks and that has made a huge difference. I haven't needed a nap at all today.

Also, I've been able to swallow my thyroid medication without crushing or cutting in half which has surprised me. I was also able to take a Gummy multi Vitamin without any problems. The amount of Fluid i'm able to swallow also surprises me. I assumed I'd be sipping and i'm actually able to take normal sized sips.

I mentioned earlier that I had gained about 10 lbs while in the hospital. I have lost that amount plus an additional 1 1/2 lb.

I'm not having problems doing normal household chores like cooking, light cleaning, laundry, etc.

My incisions are starting to itch which means they are starting to heal. I have the glue/tape.

I have taken pain medication twice today just for the stomach soreness. It works great. Getting around really pretty good.

I'm not able to tell if my stomach is full or empty yet. I takes me over an hour (or more) to drink the 8 oz Protein shake. I never feel full or empty at this time just yet. Probably due to swelling.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Kim

Wow Kim!!! Sounds like you are doing great. I hope I can say I'm doing good after 5 or 6 days out. I'm scheduled for Monday. You are doing such an amazing job!!!! :D

Deb

Good Job Kim!! I'm sure you were sore from being out and about. The same thing happened to me and I was scared but someone told me on the website it was because I was moving around more.

Keep up the good work!!!

I am so glad your recovery is going so well. How on earth can you do so much? Are the pain meds that good? Just teasing! keep up the good work and attitude! :D

I am so glad your recovery is going so well. How on earth can you do so much? Are the pain meds that good? Just teasing! keep up the good work and attitude! :D

You know.... I think the more I do the better I feel. When I sit around and watch HGTV all day I feel worse than when I get up and do a few things around the house.

Today my soreness has lessened from yesterday and i'm not feeling the food going down into my stomach like i did the first days.

I will warn you, while you are not hungry you do still have a desire to taste something good. I made Breakfast for my husband this morning (eggs & bacon) and that bacon smelled really good. I wanted to put just a small taste in my mouth. I'm so tired of sweet drinks. I had some Miso Soup last night at that was good.

I'm 6 days out as well. I totally know the feeling of wanting to just taste the food! I don't want to eat any of it, but I really, really want to taste the food and spit it out ;) Even foods I don't like I just want to taste haha, like bacon lol.

I was able to get up and do a little clean up and making lunch for the family. Able to get in plenty of fluids but not enough Protein, Im trying some more Isopure today in hopes it helps me with some energy. All my pain is on the left side, not once have I had pain on the right, it does feel like I did a million sit-ups. So ready for this stupid drain to come out but its not coming out til Friday. Also still taking the pain meds too.

I did get really lucky and lost in the hospital, I was totally shocked by that so the weight is still coming off quite rapidly right now.

I can still feel where everything is in my sleeve, from greek yogurt to meds and Water, hoping that stays the same. Only felt sick once so far too and that was after taking a laxative the doctors gave me yesterday. OH MY GOODNESS! If you don't need it, don't take it. I still need to take more since it hasn't worked yet but I all of a sudden felt like I was going to pass out and/or throw up. I got up and took a hot shower, then took a nap for a few hours. And my stomach started making all kinds of crazy noises.

Anyways, glad you are making such great progress!

I'm 6 days out as well. I totally know the feeling of wanting to just taste the food! I don't want to eat any of it, but I really, really want to taste the food and spit it out ;) Even foods I don't like I just want to taste haha, like bacon lol.

I was able to get up and do a little clean up and making lunch for the family. Able to get in plenty of fluids but not enough Protein, Im trying some more Isopure today in hopes it helps me with some energy. All my pain is on the left side, not once have I had pain on the right, it does feel like I did a million sit-ups. So ready for this stupid drain to come out but its not coming out til Friday. Also still taking the pain meds too.

I did get really lucky and lost in the hospital, I was totally shocked by that so the weight is still coming off quite rapidly right now.

I can still feel where everything is in my sleeve, from greek yogurt to meds and Water, hoping that stays the same. Only felt sick once so far too and that was after taking a laxative the doctors gave me yesterday. OH MY GOODNESS! If you don't need it, don't take it. I still need to take more since it hasn't worked yet but I all of a sudden felt like I was going to pass out and/or throw up. I got up and took a hot shower, then took a nap for a few hours. And my stomach started making all kinds of crazy noises.

Anyways, glad you are making such great progress!

i didn't get a drain. Not sure how they decide who gets one and who doesn't. that may be why you lost weight in the hospital. Your drain may help remove excess Fluid (who knows).

I haven't had any nausea issues and i'm not allowed yogurt yet. Its amazing that one procedure can have so many differences depending on where you live, who your surgeon is, how much weight you need to lose, etc etc....

I don't go see my Dr. till March 14 (two week follow-up).

Well, keep up the good work! sounds like you are on your way to great health. biggrin.gif

i didn't get a drain. Not sure how they decide who gets one and who doesn't. that may be why you lost weight in the hospital. Your drain may help remove excess Fluid (who knows).

I haven't had any nausea issues and i'm not allowed yogurt yet. Its amazing that one procedure can have so many differences depending on where you live, who your surgeon is, how much weight you need to lose, etc etc....

I don't go see my Dr. till March 14 (two week follow-up).

Well, keep up the good work! sounds like you are on your way to great health. biggrin.gif

Yeah it is very interesting to see the differences in requirements. Our surgeons all have the same requirements post op but some require pre-op diets and some don't. My surgeon was one of the only to require a 2 week liquid diet and I know people who had him only months ago and didn't have to do it. He normally only requires it for those over 400 lbs, but for some reason had me do it. Very odd.

Everyone goes home with a drain here. Its so annoying. I wasn't allowed anything for 24 hours after surgey, when I had a leak test done, then clears for 3 days, with the exception of greek yogurt I am still doing clears as I dont feel ready for full. Then we do 2-3 weeks of full liquids. 2-3 weeks of mushys and purees. Then real food.

Yeah it is very interesting to see the differences in requirements. Our surgeons all have the same requirements post op but some require pre-op diets and some don't. My surgeon was one of the only to require a 2 week liquid diet and I know people who had him only months ago and didn't have to do it. He normally only requires it for those over 400 lbs, but for some reason had me do it. Very odd.

Everyone goes home with a drain here. Its so annoying. I wasn't allowed anything for 24 hours after surgey, when I had a leak test done, then clears for 3 days, with the exception of greek yogurt I am still doing clears as I dont feel ready for full. Then we do 2-3 weeks of full liquids. 2-3 weeks of mushys and purees. Then real food.

I had a drain too. It was supposed to stay in for two weeks but it was removed on the 7th day. The drain actually threads to the left of your abdomen and sits behind your spleen so it makes sense that you have pain on the left side. I actually had the opposite feeling and felt it on the right. My doc said some people feel the deferred pain on the right. Even when they took it out, I knew it was coming from the left but I felt all of the movements on the right. It was very odd.

My doc gives all his patients a drain because it helps reduce the risk of infection. Once my drain fluids were pretty clear they took it out and I felt 200 times better. I was just sleeved on the 24th and I feel fantastic now.

Good luck to both of you guys on your recovery. We are all just days apart.

Dawn

I had a drain too. It was supposed to stay in for two weeks but it was removed on the 7th day. The drain actually threads to the left of your abdomen and sits behind your spleen so it makes sense that you have pain on the left side. I actually had the opposite feeling and felt it on the right. My doc said some people feel the deferred pain on the right. Even when they took it out, I knew it was coming from the left but I felt all of the movements on the right. It was very odd.

My doc gives all his patients a drain because it helps reduce the risk of infection. Once my drain fluids were pretty clear they took it out and I felt 200 times better. I was just sleeved on the 24th and I feel fantastic now.

Good luck to both of you guys on your recovery. We are all just days apart.

Dawn

I am soooo glad to hear it will feel better, that seems to be my only pain and its enough that I still take my pain meds. Its soooo annoying!

Hey Kim,

It's your march sleeve buddy. I'm all sleeved and already 5 days post op. I can't believe how time flies. I am like you and have been doing well and not really had any pain except at night I have had some hip and back pain but when i get up, I don't even feel it. I am alos surprised at how much Water and Protein Shakes i can get in. I guess that will change as we move to more solid foods and I can't wait for that! I just wanted to let you know that I was doing well and have yet to get on the scale. I told myself that I would not do that until my two week check up so I wouldn't stress over it. I will keep in touch and hope that you do the same!

Thanks for the update. I am having surgery on the 28th and I am very nervous. Your experiences help.

Thank for reading. today is exactly one week and I went back to work today. My husband did drive me since we own our business and work together.

This morning I woke up with little to no discomfort and I was able to sleep (roll around from side to side) without waiking myself up. It truly takes a full week for recovery so plan on that.

It also takes me a little to get going in the morning. After I've had my first Protein shake my head is back on straight. You may have a light headed feeling or lack of Mojo in the mornings until you get some fuel in the tank.

I'm a very open and honest "tell it like it is" person so if you have any question you want to ask that i've not addressed please let me know.

Take care!

Hi - Congrats. You and others like you are my inspiration. I really need this to go well. I'm not one to get sick from Anesthesia so I'm hoping that helps. Also, I'm having my surgery tomorrow. My question is does age make a big diff? I'm 54 and really have an active life. I need to be going like you in a week. From everything you know thus far, how does age play into recovery? I'm a 36 BMI so I don't have as much to lose as some but I don't know if that makes any diff either. Any idea?