Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Booze or Not to Booze

I am getting banded in 26 days and people keep asking me about alcohol.

I am not a big drinker. I dislike most drinks. I can have a beer or two sometimes, or maybe a Margarita (which I know is never going to happen again).

I was wondering if anyone had tried a drink with the band and what the results were.

My Mom is thinking of getting banded, but is a wine collector and does not want to give that up.

Thanks

I am not a big drinker. I dislike most drinks. I can have a beer or two sometimes, or maybe a Margarita (which I know is never going to happen again).

I was wondering if anyone had tried a drink with the band and what the results were.

My Mom is thinking of getting banded, but is a wine collector and does not want to give that up.

Thanks

Hubby can drink wine and mixed drinks. It's not recommended because of the calories. liquid calories in general aren't helpful in loosing weight because they just go right through the band.

That said, I'll probably still have a glass of wine once in a while after being banded. I think it's about balance in many ways. I'm getting banded to improve my life, and I'm aware that that means big changes. But it also means having a treat once in a while.

I only heard, from the seminar that I attended before being banded, that alcohol is fine but do not drink it with a carbonated drink. Wine should be fine and other alcohol - probably not beer -- all in moderation though. Which brings me to the subject of carbonated drinks...

Has anyone heard why we cannot have carbonated drinks (diet soda) - is it because of the air that gets into the stomach and is hard to get rid of? Or, can it do damage to the lapband? Please advise, anyone that knows!

I think the carbonation expands in the stomach and make things uncomfortable. I have read that flat diet soda is ok, but who wants to drink that.

What my surgeon's clinic told me is that the gas in a carbonated beverage can fill the pouch and distend the stomach, increasing the risk of a slipped band.

I never was big on pop and other carbonated stuff, but once I got my appt, and was told it wasn't recommended, I've been really wanting it!

I would be an alcoholic if I could find a drink I like. Irish Creme in my coffee is about all I can stand. Tried so many things and hated them all, so I just stopped trying. Got too expensive to try.

Now I just drink tea...

I drink with my band - but I find that things change along the journey- like right now wine is giving me nasty heartburn, so I avoid it. Early on, I couldn't drink beer, the carbonation just made it too uncomfortable, but now beer, when consumed slowly, is just fine.

Listen to your body and your band. If it hurts - don't do it!

Like everything else, I think this is going to be an "everybody is different" thing.

Thanks! I was thinking that it was just that the carbonation would put air into the stomach, making it uncomfortable - as long as no one has heard that it damages the lapband -- I guess I'm okay. I just sip on a diet drink every once in a while, just need a little treat! ha!!

First Congratulations on your upcoming date!!!!! With that said, yes I do enjoy the occasional drink. Usually a glass of wine or a mix drink. I stay away from the carbonated drinks. I haven't had any problem with the intake of the drink, it's just that I seem to have become a "cheap date" with the loss of the weight!! :)

My mom and I try all sorts of different wine. And I love mixed drinks. I even have the occassional beer as well, but I wasn't forbidden carbonation by my doctor, just 'anything as tolerated'.

I enjoy wine with dinner a couple times a week, make sure you count the calories. Occassionally I'll have a sweet drink for dessert because cake won't go down...my favorite is butter shots and baileys...yum, but SO high in calories.

Thanks

I asked that question today when I went in for my first fill. We have a number of wedding's to attend this summer and other events and I would like to be able to have a drink or two at them. He said it was ok to do it "occasionally" but to remember that alcohol contains calories and sugar and will slow down the weightloss. I am to avoid anything carbonated too, so soda mixers are out. I specifically asked about a margarita and he said that would be ok, since it wasn't carbonated - just to do it occasionally - not like everything night of the week or anything - once a week at the max. But if I see my weightloss progress really start to slow down I may have to re-think my priorities!!

I usually have brandy a couple of times a week to decompress from teaching and taking care of my mother and animals. I like to sit in my garden and have some brandy. If it slows my weight loss, too bad, because I need the decompression time. Regarding carbonated beverages, I decided I'd just finish all the Dr. Pepper we had in the house a couple of weeks after I was banded. My God! I had terrible gas for 3 days and was miserable. I won't be drinking carbonated beverages again. I drink Water and fruit juice. I put about 2/3 of a glass of water with ice and 1/3 of fruit juice and it is good. I've never liked plain water though I take some Dasani with me whenever I go someplace. Probably I should cut back on fruit juice but I like it and it keeps my sugar from dropping too low. A friend who is on weight watchers says a lot of people combine water with juice or something just for the taste. I simply can't stand that taste of fake sugar and so I guess I'm doomed.

I was told no carbonated drinks ever again - so bye bye beer and champagne (and my best old friend diet soda) but i've had a variety of mixed ddrinks and wine - although in very small amounts. My small tolerance is evven less since i don't drink with food and wait at least one hour after eating before drinking...that being said - i do enjoy a glass of wine, a margarita, a bloody mary and other drinks occassionally and other then the calories (you want to watch that if you are trying to lose weight) and possible sensitivities to acidic drinks (everyone is different) there is no reason you can't have a drink now and then. My doc said no problem but watch the calories and be careful cuz your tolerance will probably be lower but it's not something you can't ever have again.