Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

I will be 60 in June 2013. I had the surgery 2 years ago last January 19th. I lost to 8 pounds from a modest goal. Then I had a knee problem, stopped the gym, and had inlaws visit for 10 weeks. Dont get me wrong, I love them, but nothing like happy hour every night, dinners out and special home dinners for that long. Gained 18 pounds. I have stopped gaining, and am maintaining for 2 months now. Im back at the gym, I started lifting twice a week, I dance twice a week, and I walk twice a week. I also work in the garden right now and have been shoveling, digging, weeding and pruning. I just bought a fitbit, and am watching my quality of sleep and steps. I am figuring out how much energy I use every day, then eating between that and my BMR. This is much more food than I have been used too and I feel much better. Im not as obsessed with food when I eat more(of the right things) I don't know if I will lose any more or not, I am trying to eat quality, have fun while moving more, and sleep enough hours a night. I am falling short of drinking Water, and need to work harder at that...(or smarter) Anyway,

All in all Im pretty happy with it all, I have more energy and enjoy physical activity much more than before the surgery. For my 60th birthday I am dying my hair blue. No growing old gracefully for me girls. The sleeve is a great tool, it has not let me down yet, but it is not an end all do everything treasure. The first few months its kind of easy to think you will always feel the way you do then. Thats just part of the ride, but don't assume that this is the case. Cheers all!

Hi! I am 59 soon to be 60 in May. Last summer my Endocrinologist began talking to me about my weight. My diabetes was steadily getting worse, asthma, sleep apnea, hypothyroid, and the list goes on! I called my insurance companyand talked with them about my options. To make a long story short, I was sleeved on 2/19 and I am down 24 pounds. My blood sugars are improving and anticipate being completely off insulin in the next 6 months. I have had my ups and downs, it is hard to get in my Protein and Water every day. I track what I drink (sip). I use a 5 ounce measuring glass and log each one completed. My biggest struggle is that I am not hungry. I get in the Protein because I have to but I am not hungry at all!

Would I do this again? In a heartbeat. Fortunately I have several sizes of clothes in my closet and as I lose I am clearing them out. I shop Goodwill, consignment shops, Wal-Mart, Target, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, until I reach my goal.

I enjoy reading the updates! Keep up the good work everyone.

I too went thru menopause very early.. was done with that at 42 also.. I was sleeved on dec 20th. and im down 63lbs.. have not seen wrinkles.. my friend told me all her friends that have had the sleeve looked older. I dont believe it.. I dont think it makes you look older.. skinny yes.. old no.. im 53yrs old.. she got the band.. and is not losing that much wt.. but then she has excuses for that.. I just smile and say.. well im down 63lbs..and go to the gym... and Im healthy... as for the saggy stuff.. yeah gravity is cruel lol.. but I can fix that..and will when I hit my goal wt.. my doc said that stuff can be taken care of and my insurance will pay for it too.. so im not worried much about that other than.. OMG I get to go clothes shopping for my cruise...and I will look damn good too :)

Hi Folks. All of a sudden, big changes are happening. I am wearing 1X tops compared to 3X. My pants are too big. I was able to comfortably cross my legs on Sunday. Can't even remember the last time I was able to do that and as of today, I am 1 pound away from 60 pounds gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo.

Thanks Buplee for your words of support and encouragement, I feel the same way about the band..I've heard of too many people having problems and my surgeon as well said that he is taking out more then he is putting in, so I feel confident in my decision..You are doing great with your weight loss, keep it up..I will silently wish you a Happy Birthday on the day of my surgery! LOL

Hi folks!

I'm 53. Overweight all my life. Eight months ago I topped out at 484! my insurance requres a six month doctor supervosed weight loss program befopre approval for surgery. I started Augist 1, 2012, and lost 106 pounds by the end of January 2013. Another 12 pounds duirng ther two week pro-op liquid diet. Had sleeve surgery Feb. 25. Have lost another 12 in the two weeks since then. Total weight loss: 130 pounds. Current weight; 344. my goal is to lose 150 more and get under 200 pounds for the first time since high school.

Welcome Jon, you are doing so well with the weight loss. Well done. You will enjoy this site people are very encouraging and you might need that when you hit the inevitable stalls or advice on diet or exercise.

Hi everyone...

I'm 56 and just getting started. I have my first consult with the surgeon on the 28th. I've been reading a lot in these forums and am glad that they are so full of good information. My main worry right now is that my insurance won't cover the surgery. I'm right at the 40 BMI limit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as I don't think I could do the Mexico thing, especially after reading what happened to that one lady with the infected incisions!

many insurance companies accept 35 BMI for those with 2 co-morbidities... sleep apnea, high BP, high cholesterol...diabetes...

I am 56 and 7 weeks post sleeve. I've lost 24 lbs so far. I had been off hormone replacement for about 6 mos before surgery. Post-op I started having hot flashes one after the other. I would go from hot to cold within minutes of each other. After a couple weeks of this I got back on Hormones and feel so much better. I'm so glad we have a 50's forum. I am 1/3 of my way to goal. I have been in a stall for almost 4 weeks but think I'm coming out of it now. Trying not to be discouraged. I decided I would only weigh once a week and join a gym this week. Being back at work has helped. I'm a nurse and work in a hospital. It is encouraging to read your posts!!

I have to have my hormone pill every day I am 54yrs all so I have stall at 14 days post op going to up my Water

Good luck on your new life..

I am 56 and am 1 week post op today down 19 lbs since preop diet. A little disappointed only lost 5 pounds the 1st week but excited about week 2 at this point . I take no hormones and never have, went thru menopause at early 40's no problems just glad that stage of life is over!! Lol!!!

Good for you on your weight loss I am down 17lbs pre-op till now post op 13 days. I have slow down on my weight loss all so going to up my Protein and Water and see if that help my nuts told me older you are the slower it can be so be good to yourself are you walking that helps!! I had a hysterectomy at 39 and been on my pills for a long time try to get off before pre op and man o man not good so I went back on them... Good Luck :D

Hi Folks. All of a sudden' date=' big changes are happening. I am wearing 1X tops compared to 3X. My pants are too big. I was able to comfortably cross my legs on Sunday. Can't even remember the last time I was able to do that and as of today, I am 1 pound away from 60 pounds gone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo.[/quote']

Mary, so proud of your success! Very encouraging to me!

Hello all! I turned 49 in Dec.I joined the 40s group also, but I guess 50 is closer to my age LOL! I was sleeved on March 6th, down 17 lbs (5) pre-op. I had a complete hysterectomy at 28 so basically went through forced menopause then, never any problems though thank God! I have 2 great kids 28 and 22. 50 is going to be my year to be fabulous! Returning to work 3/25.