Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the 50s ???

Good for you Mary!

I am 54yrs old and I am per-per post op,I will know feb-8-13 on my date then I start my per op.I am so ready and yes I think about slaggy skin I was told to drink lots of Water and walk,walk,walk will help with the skin.

Is there any one out there who lives in the east Texas area would like to have a WLS buddy..

Hi All

55 yrs old had my surgery Sept 24/12 highest weight 252, surgery day weight 230, current weight 203 have been at this weight since Dec 15/12.

Cant figure out why I have stalled. I have uped my excercise program now, waiting to see if that helps. If it doesnt help, I am going to go back on the presurgery diet for a couple of weeks.

Glad to hear your all doing well.

I went through menopause from 45 to ongoing, but mainly mild symptoms

Hi All

55 yrs old had my surgery Sept 24/12 highest weight 252' date=' surgery day weight 230, current weight 203 have been at this weight since Dec 15/12.

Cant figure out why I have stalled. I have uped my excercise program now, waiting to see if that helps. If it doesnt help, I am going to go back on the presurgery diet for a couple of weeks.

Glad to hear your all doing well.

I went through menopause from 45 to ongoing, but mainly mild symptoms[/quote']

Just a thought....try upping your Protein, Water and vit D. You need plenty of all three to lose the pounds. Good luck!

Hi, I am 54 yrs old all done with menopause at 40yrs old now I am on hormone replacement I am thinking about stop taking my hormones after 14 yrs.I just left my Drs. today and all looks good they are sending my paper work over to my Ins.co.I should get the ok and have my sugary some time in March..So ready to do this. I have been trying to do weight loss surgery for 3 years now, was going for the lap band and change my mine to do the sleeve and at that time my Ins; wouldn't pay for for the sleeve and now they due Yea!! Went shopping today for all my needs for my per op so happy wish I could have done his in my 40's but god giving me my new life at 54yrs.They say the 50's are the new 40's :D I got a book to day call Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies it has a lot of great advice. I am so glad for this group I need a weight loss buddy would love all the help and advice I can get with my walk with my new life...I am in east Tx.

I am 54yrs having the sleeve March 4th in Tyler Tx. day 6 preop a little scar but so ready to start a new life.Wish

I would have done this sooner good luck every one

Hi everyone..My name is Kari and I am 51 years old. I've been trying to get approved to have the surgery for over a year now and finally just got the approval on Monday! I am excited and nervous at the same time..My surgery date is April 2nd. Last year when I first decided to get the surgery I had decided on the lap band, since that time after further discussions with my surgeon and reading these boards I have now decided on getting the sleeve..I hope I am making the right decision. My family isn't very supportive of my decision on the sleeve instead but I'm hoping this decision is right for me.They can't understand why I would want to remove part of my stomach if I don't need to with the band. I'm done trying to explain it to them and just hoping for the best...I can't wait to start my new journey and to look and feel better. I've been overweight for over 20 years and have tried everything to lose the weight. I have 3 grandchildren now and want to be healthier and be able to do more things with them without feeling tired all the time. I am only telling a "select few" about my surgery and only took off a week from work, I hope that will be enough time, since I don't want anyone at work to know yet. Wishing all of you the best of luck in your journey as well..wish me luck! Kari

I can relate to you so much I was going to do the Ban but now I am glad I am going with the sleeve my Dr.doesn't do the lap ban any more..My best friend had the ban over 3yrs ago and she had to redo it and did the sleeve..Better result with the sleeve in weight loss then the ban get the book weight loss surgery for Dummies great book it help with my family and with the friends. I am not telling everyone about the sleeve this is only a tool there is a lot,lot of hard work for the rest of your life get in some support groups in your area that also helps...you are doing the right thing for you and your family they might not see it right now but they will in the long run my Dr. told me to take 2 weeks off but I am 54yrs.old but he did say to get up and walk,walk,walk, every day a little at a time in the day it helps with the gas no bending over or picking up things...Good Luck this is a great place to be .....sastexan4u

Hi I'm new here I had my sleeve 1-30-13 one month out down about 20 lbs . My MD wanted me to do gb for diabetes but I have 70 to loose chickens out because of dumping syndrome got sleeved loved the morphine pump thank god for that I'm 56 by. Btw does anyone have pain under left rib at nite wakes me up kinda scary don't know if I should go to doc or not and this I loved surgeon tried to send me back to work in 3 weeks it was like are you nuts ?wasn't happening still was dizzy etc so 6 weeks off what is the average time off I docalt of lifting work in hospital

Hi. Here's my update: I'll be 3 months out on Sunday, March 3. On my home scale, I've lost about 53 pounds. I'm still learning to eat and trying to get all my food in and it is hard. I'm told it'll get easier. I will be 54 in May.

sastexan4u---good luck to you. I love your zoo in Tyler. :)

towanda--I went back to work in 10 days but I have a desk job and only work 4-5 hours a day. It was so exhausting!!!!

Hi Kari--good luck to you. I don't tell many people either. I understand that.

HI sastexan4u, thank you for the info, I will definitely look into that book. I am happy with my decision, so that's all that matters right? When is your surgery? My doctor said a week off from work should be fine, I hope so..I have a desk job but just hope that the tiredness won't get to me too much. Good luck to you, let me know how you make out. At Marydrew, 54 pounds in 3 months?! that's fabulous, I hope I have that kind of success.! Keep up the good work.

Someone said they wee getting scard ed sorry can't find name right now but talk about normal you'd have to be not fully there not to have some apprehension! I was last case of day sat waiting about 8hours had plenty of time to change mind but no its your chance to tame the obesity beast and you'll be able to help and encourage others once its done so start smiling here's your moment it'll all be good!

I am 51 and two weeks post- op. I am down 25lbs so far.

Hi everyone..My name is Kari and I am 51 years old. I've been trying to get approved to have the surgery for over a year now and finally just got the approval on Monday! I am excited and nervous at the same time..My surgery date is April 2nd. Last year when I first decided to get the surgery I had decided on the lap band' date=' since that time after further discussions with my surgeon and reading these boards I have now decided on getting the sleeve..I hope I am making the right decision. My family isn't very supportive of my decision on the sleeve instead but I'm hoping this decision is right for me.They can't understand why I would want to remove part of my stomach if I don't need to with the band. I'm done trying to explain it to them and just hoping for the best...I can't wait to start my new journey and to look and feel better. I've been overweight for over 20 years and have tried everything to lose the weight. I have 3 grandchildren now and want to be healthier and be able to do more things with them without feeling tired all the time. I am only telling a "select few" about my surgery and only took off a week from work, I hope that will be enough time, since I don't want anyone at work to know yet. Wishing all of you the best of luck in your journey as well..wish me luck! Kari[/quote']

Good luck luck to you Kari. I fought with Aetna for 18 months after being turned down twice and threatening to sue. Aetna told me i was too healthy with a bmi of 44, but no other health issues. I was finally sleeved on 2/19 and I am down 12lbs postoperative and 25lbs since late January. You have a great surgery date which is my birthday. You are making the right decision for you and your future. I like you have been overweight for many years. Having lost thousands of pounds and gained them all back plus more. I know three people who have the band and two have had serious complications ( port infections, band slippage, trying to make times for fills, and sporadic weight gain. The other got married, went on his honeymoon and has not gone in for a fill in the last 8 months and has gained 75lbs back. I too was considering the band until I heard story after story about issues with it. My surgeon has been doing as many band revisions, as he is bypass and sleeves. My wife and this forum was instrumental in helping me make the decision to get sleeved. Losing that much stomach tissue is not easy, but was right for me. I want to succeed this time and not fail again. I have told my immediate family and my sister in law and brother in law ( he had bypass 6 weeks prior to me) and no one else. Good luck whatever you decide.

Day 5 post op lost 12 lbs... been a hard week but doing better hope every one is doing great...

:D