Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Training After The Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Thanks Pdxman! I lifted some last week (fairly light). I just got back from the gym today working shoulders and triceps and feel pretty good. I didn't go crazy, but lifted heavy enough to where it required some mild effort. I may be way off, but it seems like I'm only slightly weaker than I was before I started my pre-op diet. I can tell that looking at myself and feeling my flabby arms and legs that I lost a lot of muscle mass itself, but just a little strength-wise. I thought for sure after seeing my muscles wither away for the past 5 weeks, that I would be so weak that I could hardly lift anything. For example: military presses before pre-op I could do about 185 pounds behind the neck press for about 5-8 reps. Today I did the same lift with 135 pounds for 8 reps (2 sets). I know there is some strength loss, but not nearly as much as I would've thought by looking at me. I feel a lot better now! I'm thinking maybe some "muscle memory" will help me as well to gain back some of my original strength.

Sleeved 11/3/2011

weight.png

I have been a weight lifter most of my life.. and to be honest that was one of my only reservations about getting the VSG.. Now 6 months in and 75lbs down.. I have to say that gaining muscle is not as easy as it used to be I have struggled in the gym and that was something I never struggled with ever (this may have to do with being over 40 too :P ). I am able to bench 315 but I notice that I can have more off days than I ever remember before. Like yesterday I made the best of a really bad day.. I was able to work out with 200 but everything seemed to hurt.. Having said all of that because my diet is so Protein based I am gaining lean muscle and I am looking better than I have in a long wile.. Also I will say that I have had to switch mentalities about working out. I was always a power lifter or weight lifter.. Now I am working out like a body builder.. The main difference is form over weight. My diet is really so much better than ever before but I will tell you that I try and eat every two hours some form of Protein. It becomes a chore but I have noticed on days I don't eat often I gain weight (go figure). I have also started taking creatine. Speak to your doctor but I am loving the results. I am also taking a whey protein with BCCAs (branch chain amino acids) a must if you want to gain lean muscle. I am looking forward to not only being slimmer but the most well built apearing me ever..

I know this is a really old conversation, but I'm hoping to get some more insight on this...I've reached goal weight, but now I've lost (in my opinion) too much muscle, and I want it back!! I think I may have waited too late to hit the weights, since I was so much into the cardio and burning off the fat than anything else, but I'm figuring it's never too late to get started!!! Now my full concentration is gaining muscle, but I keep reading that this cannot be done unless I have sufficient calorie intake...kinda hard with a stomach about the size of a banana!! Anyone have any insights or suggestions on this??? If so, would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

BryBro.....give it time and with good hard resistance training (lifting) and proper/well-timmed nutrition, you'll get there. Yes, hitting the weights early (during weight loss phase), helps signal to your body to retain or hang on to the muscle and that you need it. If you didn't lift then, you're a little behind (muscle-wise) and have some catching up to do.....but you can do it. Work hard lifting, eat right and be patient....you'll get there. Make sure to concentrate on getting Protein and complex carbs for your first meal or two after your workout.......this works well for me. Then the other meals I go back to low carb, with Protein and some good fats. Wish you the best!

BryBro.....give it time and with good hard resistance training (lifting) and proper/well-timmed nutrition, you'll get there. Yes, hitting the weights early (during weight loss phase), helps signal to your body to retain or hang on to the muscle and that you need it. If you didn't lift then, you're a little behind (muscle-wise) and have some catching up to do.....but you can do it. Work hard lifting, eat right and be patient....you'll get there. Make sure to concentrate on getting Protein and complex carbs for your first meal or two after your workout.......this works well for me. Then the other meals I go back to low carb, with Protein and some good fats. Wish you the best!

Thanks much for the advice!!! I've been doing alot of the resistance training for the last month or so, with increased weight as I go along. Things are getting easier, so I've been adding more weight...I'm hoping that's a sign of progress!!!

This is one of my reservations about getting the surgery...Im set for Jan12th and keep second guessing myself..im so used to being the big strong guy that losing my muscle and size is hard to deal with mentally. Im 305 right now and want to get to 215 the absolute lowest, but want to be solid, not sickly looking. Im hoping I can get enough Protein in after the surgery to minimize muscle loss and be able to work out like I did..I love lifting and martial arts..Hopefully being 80lbs lighter will make it easier on the old joints!!!

Hey buddy. Heres something that might help. The gastric sleeve will greatly minimize how much solid food you can eat however, i found that by increasing the amount of Liquid Protein that I consume I have been able to lose the weight and pack on some decent muscle mass. So what I am saying is increase your Protein intake by 1- 1.5 gm per pound of IDEAL body weight but use liquid protein sources in addition to solid foods since the liquids wil go straight through your stomach pouch much quicker. Its worked incredibly well for me

This is one of my reservations about getting the surgery...Im set for Jan12th and keep second guessing myself..im so used to being the big strong guy that losing my muscle and size is hard to deal with mentally. Im 305 right now and want to get to 215 the absolute lowest, but want to be solid, not sickly looking. Im hoping I can get enough Protein in after the surgery to minimize muscle loss and be able to work out like I did..I love lifting and martial arts..Hopefully being 80lbs lighter will make it easier on the old joints!!!

Jersey...you can do it and I think you'll be glad you went through with it. Like Indianaman said.....it can be done.

This is me several years ago when i was dieting down from 320. I was 272 in this picture. I was still fat but as you can see I have a fairly muscular frame..I was benching 360 for reps at this time before my shoulder injury...Hmm...Perhaps thats why my shoulder was injured...

post-241637-0-44230000-1420736654_thumb.jpg

It is possible to build muscle while losing fat(cutting). Your body will rely on its glycogen stores for energy. Once the glycogen stores have deen depleted(ketosis), your body will use fat and muscle as energy. Fat will be the primary source after glycogen stores are depleted, but you will also lose small amounts of muscle. Lucky for us we have pretty good amount of fat stores, but you will still want to keep your Protein up to replace any muscle that did get used as energy. As you lose more and more fat the body will have less fat to use as a source of energy, so you will want to up your Protein intake up even more to prevent muscle loss from your body using muscle as a energy source.

Jersey.....it looks like you have a great foundation for muscle from what I can see. I was fairly similar. Had lifted for years and I had lots of strength/muscle from those years of lifting. But I was overweight and unhealthy, had a lot of additional fat with the muscle. With hard work and just the right nutrition, you'll get back to your original strength/muscle levels after your initial rapid weight and muscle loss. That's my guess anyway since we're so similar.

Ex:.... I was deadlifting 475 for a single rep and 405 for 5 reps before surgery. About oh.....maybe 7-8 months after my sleeve, I was back to those levels....minus the fat. In total from highest weight to lowest, I lost around 80-90 pounds. I have most, if not all of my original muscle, but with the fat loss, I'm just more cut now....or as I like to say....."ripped". :D Well at least in my own mind anyway.

It's a long process and you'll probably be like me....discouraged the first 1-4 months post op and really missing the strength. Just hang in there, keep lifting during the weight loss phase, and you'll eventually get back the strength months down the road. Lifting during losing is really important. You cant really build muscle while losing a lot of weight, but you can certainly maintain it or lessen the rate of muscle loss by lifting. It signals to your body that you need the muscle.....and more of your weight loss will be fat and not as much muscle loss. With that said, ease into lifting again as your body needs to adjust and you don't want to injure yourself and have a set back. Listen to your Dr to release you. I would urge you to stay the course....I think you'll be happy you did. Wish you the best man!

For me I was thin for 1/2 of my life and fat for the other half. I was an athlete all through high school. I ran. I was 190 on my wedding day and in 20 years weighed 410. I got sleeved in Nov and I am down 70ish so far. My problem is that I want to lift. I am dying to hit the gym. My doctor has a rule for all of his patients that you can't for 3 months. Sucks. I am listening to him because the guy was excellent. I have had zero.zero complications. None. No pain. No nausea. Nothing. He knows his business. But damn 3 months sucks.

I get wiped out the next day after working out and feel more tired and worn out ?

How quickly did you guys go back to the gym after you were sleeved? This is definitely one of my bigger concerns as well..

Edited by geekguy

It was spotty I went back as soon as the dr ok it . But due to a old injury I was on then off at the gym I am now doing every other day at the gym with fri and sat off all togather but o am wiped out when I wake up hope the energy comes back