Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Training After The Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

Glad someone raised this thread from the dead! never a exercise or gym guy (on a regular basis ever). I did notice that post surgery my weights and sets went down. I have been working very hard, and 5 months post-op I have begun to add to those pre-surgery weight levels. It is possible. good advise above on this thread. I started lifting about 6 weeks post op as recommended by my dr.

I have been overweight all my life. So....the words exercise and gym were rare parts of this Big Boy's vocabulary!!!

I had Surgery Sept 16 and started going to the gym and lifting at 8-weeks out. I was worried about whether I would still lose weight. I am shocked at how much I LOVE weight lifting!! I have a LONG WAY to go. Since I wasn't a previous weight lifter, I'm seeing how much I have to build up to higher weights. Chest presses are about 130-150 lbs. I can press about 275 on leg press. I do row about 210.. But I've got keep working on strengthening the chest..however..IM LOVING IT. CLOSING IN ON THE 100 lb weight loss mark. Hitting the gym every other day! I haven't seen a weight starting with a 2 since Moses parted the Red Sea!!! Saw 298 the other day!! #LOVINLIFE!!!

Anyone tried working out with a weight vest? Was thinking about trying one as the pounds come off.

On the weight training issue...just trying to tone, and again trying to regain lost muscle. When doing sets, should be able to comfortably lift the amount of weight I'm lifting? I'm trying to max my weight, but at the end I lose all sorts of form when struggling to get in those last reps...is that overdoing it?

On the weight training issue...just trying to tone, and again trying to regain lost muscle. When doing sets, should be able to comfortably lift the amount of weight I'm lifting? I'm trying to max my weight, but at the end I lose all sorts of form when struggling to get in those last reps...is that overdoing it?

I am confused. Are you trying to find out your 1RM(1 rep max) or are you just trying to do a basic 10-12 rep set?

If you want to find your 1RM go here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other7.htm for great info on how to figure out your 1RM. To be honest, you should not be focused on finding your 1RM. This is more for the bodybuilders or the gym rats.

From your question, I am guessing you are fairly new to weight lifting? If so I recommend doing sets with a weight that will allow you to comfortably get through an entire 3-5 set session. This way your muscles get used to it and you learn better technique and form. Once you are comfortable and feel stronger throw on another 5lbs. If you get through that set okay, then add another 5lbs. Continue this and you will see your starting weight and ending weight increase over time.

Once you are comfortable with your technicque and weight lifting in general, you can begin to start to lift till failure. This really where the muscles grow. When I say fail, that means when you can no longer do another rep. Do 3-4 sets with your first set at a weight that you can knock out 12-15 reps. For set 2, up the weight, so that you fail at 10-12 reps. Set 3, so you fail at 8-10 reps and so on. Make those muscles work and watch them grow. Do this only when you are very comfortable in the weight room and feel physically capable of putting your body through this

I am confused. Are you trying to find out your 1RM(1 rep max) or are you just trying to do a basic 10-12 rep set?

If you want to find your 1RM go here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other7.htm for great info on how to figure out your 1RM. To be honest, you should not be focused on finding your 1RM. This is more for the bodybuilders or the gym rats.

From your question, I am guessing you are fairly new to weight lifting? If so I recommend doing sets with a weight that will allow you to comfortably get through an entire 3-5 set session. This way your muscles get used to it and you learn better technique and form. Once you are comfortable and feel stronger throw on another 5lbs. If you get through that set okay, then add another 5lbs. Continue this and you will see your starting weight and ending weight increase over time.

Once you are comfortable with your technicque and weight lifting in general, you can begin to start to lift till failure. This really where the muscles grow. When I say fail, that means when you can no longer do another rep. Do 3-4 sets with your first set at a weight that you can knock out 12-15 reps. For set 2, up the weight, so that you fail at 10-12 reps. Set 3, so you fail at 8-10 reps and so on. Make those muscles work and watch them grow. Do this only when you are very comfortable in the weight room and feel physically capable of putting your body through this

Thanks much, randoval....this is EXACTLY the type of advice I was looking for!!! Thanks much for this, for real...very much appreciated!!!

Thanks much, randoval....this is EXACTLY the type of advice I was looking for!!! Thanks much for this, for real...very much appreciated!!!

You are welcome @BryBro63. This is a process and takes patients. Be consistant, safe and determined and I guarantee you will see and feel the results.

Anyone tried working out with a weight vest? Was thinking about trying one as the pounds come off.

I use a weighted vest for training dips and pull ups. Once I got to where I was doing a dozen or so of each, I started adding a training vest since my reps were getting too high, and nice to say, they were getting too easy. This took me months to be able to do though. Even about 3-4 months after surgery, I could only do 6-8 pull ups at a time and maybe 10 dips at a time. So I just trained with my body weight for a few months after that until I could do a dozen a set, then started training with the weighted vest. My the vest I use, I can add just 5 pounds, or up to 35 pounds of added weight.

Has any one used roids after the surgery to but muscle back on that they lost ?

@@boccob81 you already have a thread started on this specific topic. I replied in there. Stay away from the steroids. More so if you have no clue what your doing. Will not worth it and will not be beneficial to you

WAIT six months before you go back to training in the gym, trust me! I almost hurt myself going back in 3-4 months after. Finally after eight months, I train like beast now and I'm back to pressing 120 lb dumbbells. U CAN gain muscle mass back by dumpin tons of Proteins drink down but be sure to eat clean and healthy like horse.

One thing I'm starting to notice is my weight is starting to VERY SLOWLY go UP...seeing a slight difference on the scale nowadays. On the one hand, I'm eating a little more with the full direction of my nutritionist as well as advice through research saying that in order to gain muscle, you need to feed muscle. On the other hand, of course after doing so much with the weight loss thing, the last thing in the world I want to do is gain it back, so of course the neurotic side of me is ready to panic anytime the scale goes up!!! I think what is helping me try to keep my sanity is the fact that my clothes still fit well, and I don't see any increase in waist size. I also suppose it's true that muscle weighs more than fat...right???

Haha. A pound is a pound is a pound but I would rather be packing muscle than fat. I got my surgery on Dec 23rd 2014 and been going to the gym from Jan 12th this year. At first I couldn't finish a workout but over time my endurance increased. I've been weight lifting and running from 1-3 miles a day. I can definitely tell that muscle has been building and strength has been increasing (according to the bodyspace app). It's entirely possible to build muscle, gain strength, and lose weight at the same time.

Greetings Guys!

I'm so glad I found this site and thread. I've finally decided to do the sleeve and have been worried about being able to

build muscle. Luckily, from what I've read you can build muscle but of course with more work, effort, and patience. I'm

majoring in Criminal Justice and plan on becoming a police officer, so weight lifting is something I've started doing again.

Can't wait to start on this epic journey. I hope this thread stays alive and people will post more helpful tips. Just joined and '

will certainly visit other threads.

-Alex

Welcome Alex & Congrats on the sleeve decision! Best decision I've made to have a healthier lifestyle!

Lots of veteran sleevers on here with good knowledge & happy to help.