Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That's IT! I saw myself in full-lenth mirror in the day!!

Somewhere over time I've gotten rid of full-length mirrors. I'd like to think it is cause I've moved and etc, but I don't look so hot in them anymore. TMI: When I was young and naughty they were even nice to have in the bedroom...but now: pitch black and then maybe not.. LOL

Friday, when I had to move my last Dr. appointment before filling to Monday, I had on part of a towel and came to ask my hubby a question, but was stopped by the mirror. Who is that wide girl with ripples down the front of her legs and the 75 extra tummies?? OMG that is me! Tiny head, big ol body. Hellll no! I have been debating WLS, scared of the Sleeve, really I am (don't wanna die), but Band is stupid Drama and I suspect won't work anyway, so I'd even thought of doing nothing..then I saw the mirror!

You've heard how older people "feel" inside 26 or whatever, even though their body is breaking down, I don't feel as bad as I look, I run around just fine in the world, although I have nothing to wear and don't look good in a dang thing, so I was surprised how I look compared to how I feel about myself (I do look good in that Peacock blue dress in my profile pic-and pics DO lie, my photographer BFF has The Eye). Anwayyy, now I say, bring it on! Told the Dr. yesterday, file for the sleeve! Now to wait for insurance to approve. Wait Wait Wait. Hubby is about to lose the job that pays for WLS, this is all under the wire, timing is crazy short.

My goal is not to die in or after surgery, no leaks no complications! Then, my goal is to lose 115 lbs. I'd be able to get clothes, I looked good at that weight and didn't have to shop at The Fat Chicks Store (Lane Bryant). Come on Dr. Ganta and Aetna!

TTL!

Colette

Here is an aside, I mentioned to a friend that I'm about to have surgery, he's a big boy, turns out he has a Band and gained back the 80 that he lost and he's saving for a OOP Sleeve, but told me of course that I look fine either way, but he hates his Band!

I had the gastric sleeve on September 13, 2010. It was the best decision I have ever made for myself!! Recovery takes awhile but if you keep positive and take one day at a time the weeks after surgery will be a distant memory in no time. The liquid diet for two weeks before was rough but I kept telling myself if I can't do this how am I going to make a life change?? I am now down about 63 lbs and I feel amazing!! I went from a size 24 jean to a size 18 (and these need a belt) It is scary going into surgery but if you have a really good surgeon and no other problems that would increase your risk you will be done and back in your hospital room before you know what hit you. My husband and I had surgery on the same day. He is doing amazing also he is down 80+lbs and we haven't felt this great in a looooong time. I wish you the best in your journey!! I was afraid but now I am excited!! It can be a challenge making the right choice for food after surgery but I remind myself that I had surgery and that alone helps me to make a good choice. Do I slip and eat icecream once in a blue moon... yea I am human not a super hero but, I can always get back on track the next day.

Good luck!!

Papillon.

Hi Colette!

It usually is something that would seem meaningless to every day life that wakes you up and smell the coffee. You did the right thing though by waiting for that moment. This isn't something to take lightly and is a major decision. I'm glad too you have decided to get the sleeve and NOT the band!

I'm a revision and my story sounds a lot like your guy friend! :blink: I've never been happier with anything I've ever done for myself!

Wishing you success in your new journey! Please keep us updated on how it's progressing for you. :)

It's funny how we see ourselves and sometimes don't realize exactly how big we've gotten. Full length mirrors can be brutal - especially in a terribly lit dressing room! OUCH!!

Now that I'm in maintenance, I look at my old photos and can't believe that I used to look so bad - I thought I looked fine! Looks aside, the best part of this is feeling and being so healthy. It really is a blessing and a life changer. Best of luck to you!

PS - Bands are kin to medieval torture devices - good decision to forgo it.

Somewhere over time I've gotten rid of full-length mirrors. I'd like to think it is cause I've moved and etc, but I don't look so hot in them anymore. TMI: When I was young and naughty they were even nice to have in the bedroom...but now: pitch black and then maybe not.. LOL

Friday, when I had to move my last Dr. appointment before filling to Monday, I had on part of a towel and came to ask my hubby a question, but was stopped by the mirror. Who is that wide girl with ripples down the front of her legs and the 75 extra tummies?? OMG that is me! Tiny head, big ol body. Hellll no! I have been debating WLS, scared of the Sleeve, really I am (don't wanna die), but Band is stupid Drama and I suspect won't work anyway, so I'd even thought of doing nothing..then I saw the mirror!

You've heard how older people "feel" inside 26 or whatever, even though their body is breaking down, I don't feel as bad as I look, I run around just fine in the world, although I have nothing to wear and don't look good in a dang thing, so I was surprised how I look compared to how I feel about myself (I do look good in that Peacock blue dress in my profile pic-and pics DO lie, my photographer BFF has The Eye). Anwayyy, now I say, bring it on! Told the Dr. yesterday, file for the sleeve! Now to wait for insurance to approve. Wait Wait Wait. Hubby is about to lose the job that pays for WLS, this is all under the wire, timing is crazy short.

My goal is not to die in or after surgery, no leaks no complications! Then, my goal is to lose 115 lbs. I'd be able to get clothes, I looked good at that weight and didn't have to shop at The Fat Chicks Store (Lane Bryant). Come on Dr. Ganta and Aetna!

TTL!

Colette

Here is an aside, I mentioned to a friend that I'm about to have surgery, he's a big boy, turns out he has a Band and gained back the 80 that he lost and he's saving for a OOP Sleeve, but told me of course that I look fine either way, but he hates his Band!

Colette, your too cute! We are all going to die! That part is very very predictable, but you know what? Your not going to die because of the sleeve, none of the 2000 people who have had it and are on this forum have died have we???? I've had 18 major (and I mean major) surgeries and girl, I'm not dead yet! One day yes, but not now. . . if you want no complications all you have to do realistically is follow the doctors orders. . . sometimes that doesn't work, but the majority of the time it does. . . Good luck on whatever decision you make but keep in mind your health and well being. . . CHEERS

Colette, your too cute! We are all going to die! That part is very very predictable, but you know what? Your not going to die because of the sleeve, none of the 2000 people who have had it and are on this forum have died have we???? I've had 18 major (and I mean major) surgeries and girl, I'm not dead yet! One day yes, but not now. . . if you want no complications all you have to do realistically is follow the doctors orders. . . sometimes that doesn't work, but the majority of the time it does. . . Good luck on whatever decision you make but keep in mind your health and well being. . . CHEERS

..All good stuff, though there have to be people who just didn't make it here! Major surgery for a reason. If I disappear after March 7th-then add me to that list! I'll come back if I can! ah!!

Oh my gosh, you know what? I actually cringe when I see a before picture of myself.

And let me tell you something else. I would have argued (at the time...pre-surgery) that I was healthy (no co-morbs, great cholesterol, great BP, not on any meds whatsoever) and I exercised 4-6 days a week, why did I need to cut off 85% of my stomach in order to lose weight (I'm not a binger/purger, not on antidepressents, no eating disorders, etc.) And I can tell you right now, even as healthy as I was, that losing almost 50lbs has made me feel 1000% better. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER AND I DIDN'T FEEL SICK BEFORE.

So yeah, I hear you. The fear of the unknown is a hard thing to get a handle on. And even typing it out ...it does sound drastic. 85% of my stomach. Gone. Forever. But I would do it all over again in a heartbeat to feel this good. And I'm not even halfway to goal yet.

Glad you had your decision-making moment. I don't think you will regret doing this for yourself.

..All good stuff, though there have to be people who just didn't make it here! Major surgery for a reason. If I disappear after March 7th-then add me to that list! I'll come back if I can! ah!!

:lol: :lol: Your funny! Girl you'll be back! don't worry. . . easier said then done right? In all 18 of my surgeries I was worried about the same thing, but you have to put your trust in your belief system and the surgeon. . . you have to believe in order to achieve. . . you are going to be ok! We will definately see you here after March 7th and you'll be telling us all about it and helping out all the newbies too!

Oh my gosh, you know what? I actually cringe when I see a before picture of myself.

And let me tell you something else. I would have argued (at the time...pre-surgery) that I was healthy (no co-morbs, great cholesterol, great BP, not on any meds whatsoever) and I exercised 4-6 days a week, why did I need to cut off 85% of my stomach in order to lose weight (I'm not a binger/purger, not on antidepressents, no eating disorders, etc.) And I can tell you right now, even as healthy as I was, that losing almost 50lbs has made me feel 1000% better. I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER AND I DIDN'T FEEL SICK BEFORE.

So yeah, I hear you. The fear of the unknown is a hard thing to get a handle on. And even typing it out ...it does sound drastic. 85% of my stomach. Gone. Forever. But I would do it all over again in a heartbeat to feel this good. And I'm not even halfway to goal yet.

Glad you had your decision-making moment. I don't think you will regret doing this for yourself.

Wonderfully said! :)

I had a experience of eye opening the day before I decided on VSG. I had gone out with my girlfriend to a bar. As we sat there I noticed that no one looked at me not even to just conversate. I was completely ignored. It was like I didn't exist or wasn't even a person worth acknowledging. That night her and I were also taking pictures with the picutre phone. All of them I looked terrible in, I was sweaty and FAT. She took one that didn't look as bad as the others and said, "This is the most beautiful picture of you!" and I thought...is that how people see me? It was a terrible pic. I left the bar early with some excuse and decided on vsg shortly after. The ride so far has been amazing. You must know that you have to work at it though, it's not easy but it makes weightloss so much more sucessful, really gives you a fighting chance. I'd do it all over again!

Wonderfully said! :)

Awww, thanks Irene!