Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Post-op Carb-free Diet?

I am overwhelmed with my patient education handbook given to me last week by the nurse in my surgeon's office. Wow! Did not know that the post-op regimen would be so strict. My post-op diet has several stages like other people have mentioned. My first stage is ice chips only the day of surgery. Then second stage is day 2 and 3 Clear Liquids only. Then day 4 through 15 is pureed foods only and the things you can puree are Protein and fruit veggie only. The next stages to come for 6 whole months consist of no carbs...none. The only source of carbs you get is from fruit! Is this typical? My husband said honey why don't you just do that diet and you would lose all your weight. I said yeah right...I could never stick to that...but that scares me. I hope my new tool will definately help me to stick to what my surgeon expects. He also expects lots of exercise beginning on day 3...20 mins walking 3 times a day, then strength and flexibility exercises. Then on day 25 he wants you to start doing 60 mins cardio twice a day! That's like the biggest loser! I guess I am really freaked out over this and just knowing that I am not going to fail at this! Comments please!

You don't miss the carbs after surgery. in the beginning you can not get bread down and would your really be drinking or eating sugary foods?

At 3 months a typical day for me is the following:

Protein shake 3 carbs

Greek yogurt 5 carbs

chicken breast or tuna lunch,, after a few bites of the meat there is no room for bread or much else

Protein shot 0 carbs

chicken or turkey for dinner and maybe a bite or two of broccoli.

There really is just not a lot of room and you want to put quality calories in, not ones with carbs that will raise your blood sugar and slow weight loss.

While you may think you will miss food, the fact is you are so totally full that you will not miss it.

I am about 4.5 months out and I eat carbs and I am losing. You just have to see what works for your body. The first few months you won't really want carbs. I don't think I tried bread or Pasta until about 2.5 months out. Your doc. seems a little strict. Just do what works for you and helps you to get to your goal and to be healthy! I do not believe that no carb/low carb works for everyone.

It really is different after surgery. I thought I'd miss a lot more than I do, believe me. I'm almost 4 weeks post surgery, but my plan was slightly different than yours:

nothing day of surgery - sponges to wet lips and tongue

day 2 & 3 - Clear Liquids only (crystal light, Water, broth)

following 12 days - full liquids (protein drinks, yogurt drinks, cream of wheat thinned out w/milk or water)

next two weeks - pureed foods (mashed potatoes, baby food, greek yogurt, cottage cheese)

next two weeks - soft foods (eggs, crab, shrimp, tuna)

then: unrestricted - trying things one at a time

So far as I know, once I hit "unrestricted" nothing is off limits. However, I'm on the pureed foods stage now, and just a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes fills me up completely - takes me just as long to eat as it takes the rest of my family to eat their entire meal, and totally satisfies me!

You get so full so fast, that at this stage I can't even imagine eating a hamburger with a bun (which was previously a favorite). Even if I get to that stage where I can eat that, I cannot fathom wanting french fries with it. It was just overload me!!! (Which is a good thing! I've had my lifetime quota of micky d's anyway, lol!)

Good luck!!

You have to have carbs even healty carbs for energy.. I keep my carbs usully under 50 but If i go over 50 the next day I go back down. When your body goes in keytosis you are getting less than 5o grams of carbs and all Proteins.. as long as you don't go over 100 grams of carbs you will be losing weight like crazy..

I know it is very important to work with your own Doctor!! I do agreee, however that you have to do what works well for you! I walk about 30 to 45 minutes a day and eat what sounds and feels good! I do try to always eat my Protein 1st, however! I would listen to your own body and do your best! We all are walking this walk just a bit differently!!

I'm 3 months out and my doctor recommended the same diet. I had to start walking the day of surgery. I mostly eat Protein can't fit anything else.

this is my 3rd day from surgery. my schedule is the same as yours and will be on liquids til I see the surgeon in two - three weeks. i began Protein today. i'm doing pretty good so far. just feel like i get a blockage, as if maybe i'm drinking too much/taking in too much.

It really is different after surgery. I thought I'd miss a lot more than I do, believe me. I'm almost 4 weeks post surgery, but my plan was slightly different than yours:

nothing day of surgery - sponges to wet lips and tongue

day 2 & 3 - Clear Liquids only (crystal light, Water, broth)

following 12 days - full liquids (Protein drinks, yogurt drinks, cream of wheat thinned out w/milk or water)

next two weeks - pureed foods (mashed potatoes, baby food, greek yogurt, cottage cheese)

next two weeks - soft foods (eggs, crab, shrimp, tuna)

then: unrestricted - trying things one at a time

So far as I know, once I hit "unrestricted" nothing is off limits. However, I'm on the pureed foods stage now, and just a 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes fills me up completely - takes me just as long to eat as it takes the rest of my family to eat their entire meal, and totally satisfies me!

You get so full so fast, that at this stage I can't even imagine eating a hamburger with a bun (which was previously a favorite). Even if I get to that stage where I can eat that, I cannot fathom wanting french fries with it. It was just overload me!!! (Which is a good thing! I've had my lifetime quota of micky d's anyway, lol!)

Good luck!!

So glad to hear that it is hard to get anything else in but Protein...now wondering if you can use baby food during the pureed stage? Or what meats puree easily?

I used the baby food meats to thicken my broth. I also addes a little garlic salt and onion powder to them for flavor.

I am overwhelmed with my patient education handbook given to me last week by the nurse in my surgeon's office. Wow! Did not know that the post-op regimen would be so strict. My post-op diet has several stages like other people have mentioned. My first stage is ice chips only the day of surgery. Then second stage is day 2 and 3 clear liquids only. Then day 4 through 15 is pureed foods only and the things you can puree are Protein and fruit veggie only. The next stages to come for 6 whole months consist of no carbs...none. The only source of carbs you get is from fruit! Is this typical? My husband said honey why don't you just do that diet and you would lose all your weight. I said yeah right...I could never stick to that...but that scares me. I hope my new tool will definately help me to stick to what my surgeon expects. He also expects lots of exercise beginning on day 3...20 mins walking 3 times a day, then strength and flexibility exercises. Then on day 25 he wants you to start doing 60 mins cardio twice a day! That's like the biggest loser! I guess I am really freaked out over this and just knowing that I am not going to fail at this! Comments please!

Hi!! First, every doctor (it seems) has a different post-op diet. You should follow the one given to you by your doctor. My doctor only required that I follow a strict diet through the first 6 weeks. By the 2nd month, I could eat anything. I chose to follow a low carb diet based on the recommendations of many people on this board (and my own research).

You will find that immediately after surgery you will not really want to eat anything. And then slowly you will be able to incorporate new foods (mushies, etc.)

That said, MANY people here on this board and elsewhere have found their tastes for food changes dramatically (there are some that don't experience that, but many do). You will probably not miss the carbs at all. (Caveat though, there are some that still fight head hunger issues . . . and some that fight food addictions . . . )

At 5 1/2 months out, I still don't get hungry. Yes, my stomach growls, but I don't really want to eat. When it growls, I know I've waited too long to eat. I'm not interested in food -- don't like to grocery shop, don't like to cook -- and if you knew me from before my surgery you would be astonished at the complete turnaround. My tastes have changed radically -- things I used to like I don't anymore. The sleeve is truly life changing.

As far as my current diet, I try to eat 60 or more grams of Protein a day (usually more like 80), less than 30 grams of carbs (but sometimes it's around 40), and I don't watch the fat because I exercise a lot (my body needs some type of fuel). I do eat all fruits and veggies (raw and otherwise) -- I can't eat a lot of raw fruits and veggies because it's not comfortable, but I like the roughage that an apple or two gives me. I definitely do not eat rice, bread, potatoes, flour of any type unless it's high Fiber, and any sugar products. But this diet is after following my doctor's recommendations.

As far as exercise, if you are going to become healthy, you will have to embrace not only a new way of eating, but also becoming more active. Again, every doctor's recommendation is different and you should follow your doctor's recommendations. I was able to exercise 2 weeks out (just walking) and then he said I could do whatever 1 month out. I now am an avid exerciser, golfing up to 3 hours a day, and frankly I feel a little twitchy when I can't move (like today because we've had rain all day - ugh.)

All of these changes will happen and you actually will like them. Again, the whole point of the surgery is that you will be changing your lifestyle, becoming more active and eating more healthfully. Believe me, IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

I don't think I EVER would have expected to be where I am right now, 5 months ago. Totally worth it. :)

Hope this helps!

I am 6 months post surgery and it is hard for me to eat meat or bread. Any suggestions?

@@Determination - What are you eating currently? bread is not a big deal, most of us don't need it anyway.