Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Work after surgery

Although I haven't had surgery yet, I was wondering how soon after the surgery you returned to work. I know everyone's different. I work at a desk job and can easily work from home. I've heard that fatigue is an issue for awhile... so how long is that? Appreciate any information you care to share. I don't want to cut my healing time short, but I don't want to take any more time than I need to.

Fatigue is different with everyone..I would say you need no more than 2 weeks if you are sendimenarty. For me I have the time and I took 6 weeks off for the healing. I wanted to be completely healed before I go back to work.. I know it sounds a little crazy but I lift up to 50 to 60 pounds repeditively all day. But to answer your question If I was a office person I would have went back after week 2. It is a question that is very hard to answers because it has a lot of factors in it.

Although I haven't had surgery yet, I was wondering how soon after the surgery you returned to work. I know everyone's different. I work at a desk job and can easily work from home. I've heard that fatigue is an issue for awhile... so how long is that? Appreciate any information you care to share. I don't want to cut my healing time short, but I don't want to take any more time than I need to.

Hay there! I am on my feet alot at work. I returned after three weeks. I am not gonna lie, it was hard but I worked thru it. The first week back was the worse, the second was a little better and then it just got better from there. Best of luck to you. Our bodies are not all the same. I am 55 years old so my age may have been a factor also. Good luck and God bless!

I do work from home 4-10 hours days. I had surgery on a Wednesday and returned to work on the following Wednesday. It was rough the first week and I was glad I only had to 2 work 3 days the first week. It helps to get up every hour and walk around for a few minutes. I did have hour lunch and walked around the parking lot to keep up the excersice.....and remember sip, sip, sip.

I had my surgery on Friday and returned the next Thursday. I have an office job that is mainly sitting. I was not tired at all and I was able to operate as normal.

I had my surgery on a Wednesday, and went back to work the following Wednesday - office job - sedentary.

No problems at all.

I think that question really depends on the person and their own circumstances.. Im 2 weeks post opt I have fatigue but still have alot of soreness , I have bouts I feel really good up and at em and then the fatigue hits me pretty fast.

Wow you guys took a lot longer off work than I did. I went to work again (sitting job) 5 days post-op and felt completely fine.

I was worried that I didn't take enough time off work before the surgery, but after the surgery I was sitting at home like "I could totally be working right now."

my surgery was on 2/7/11 and I am not going back to work until 3/7/11. I have the time so I am going to use it. I do feel fatigue 9 days out. Today was the first day that I did not need a nap. I just want to make sure that I am healed enough inside also. Plus, the gas and acid reflux would have made it difficult for me.