Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Body chemistry changes with weight loss

Many people have vid D deficiency. Its a sign of the times. I was VERY low before I ever had the sleeve.

And we have to use calcium citrate because it it hard for us to absorb any other Calcium if we are on acid reducing drugs such as PPIs (which can cause brittle bones) because calcium needs an acidic environment to be absorbed. Iron can be a problem mostly if you are pre-menopause. Vit B12 must be supplemented by taking sub lingual pills or B12 shots because of loss of intrinsic factor in the stomach as stated earlier. That is my understanding.... I was very low on B12 before surgery because I am a vegetarian....sublingual tabs brought it right up over a couple of months.

drum.gifHere is how I feel about the depression, Vitamin, and minerals deal post-op. Due to the PCOS & weight gain my body felt like a living hell, I had no periods then all of a sudden 3 months later I would bleed to the point I felt anemic, I had to stay home several times not even medical pads could hold, then there was the SUPER elevated testosterone levels and you want to talk about anxiety...the sex drive of a horse...breakouts...unsatiable appetite-THAT was depressing. If you were to ask a general family practice physician what obese patients have in common i can assure you they will point to labs, one thing being low B12 and D, they don't know why but EVEN before any procedure there is already that issue lurking the waters. On to the subject of depression, if you have a history of depression I don't think the surgery will mask it or take it away, if you are new to depression post-op you have to look at the root cause, I think blaming the surgery is a cop-out, if I thought of all the negative things being overweight brought into my life that would be depression enough to make me want to go into a cave but it's a mind set that's how you see happy fat people and nobody can understand it. Sure my hormones are changing, I know that through many things on my day to day life and as I look back at life pre-op I cannot understand HOW I wasn't medicated because what I see through the rear view mirror was someone completely out of control. Most people in this country who are not obese have vitamim deficiencies mostly due to the crap that is being called "food" out there sponsored by all the hormones and chemicals they've managed to give lab rats and turned out to be a success and they decided to feed us the same way, the obese have more than one issue at hand, you don't see a lot of obese people going to tanning beds or even direct sunlight for too long that's my observation it could be a lot of reasons, but obviously the obese also don't get all the Vitamins and minerals they need because they don't spend all day eating the way they should, I know I wasn't is I had been I would not have needed the operation. If my stored estrogen is being released I am glad because I don't need all these fat cells hanging around, if you take a look at what the fat cells are actually doing then you will see they release a toxin which is why overweight people have an increased chance in developing cancer and other things. fish2.gifThough I never took meds for anxiety I know I had it and post-op I feel calmer, maybe too calm but I like it because when it's time to open the fridge and choose, I am clear headed. By no means am I saying here my life is perfect or that there is nothing that irritates me, what I am saying is that it's not due to the surgery. I'l' have my labs drawn in April and will let you guys know if anything is off meanwhile I am going to take a good book out to the backyard for a little sun time.

plane.gifCan't cry over spilled milk or cut out stomach gotta keep eye on what I can control and make the best of my new life everyday.

The video below though about the MGB talks about the estrogen drop which applies to us too:

Well my darlin, i beg to differ with you in a big way here. . . before the surgery we all had labs etc drawn. . . mine were perfect at that time including my Vitamin D. . . so after the surgery it has become severely low. . . ummmmm surgery????? even my WLSurgeon admits it's from the surgery. . . just my observation. . .

My labs were perfect too, I don't know yet where they are as I stated before but I'd like to hear an MD explain why the surgery is the root cause of Vitamin D deficiency, it's produced when the sun hits our skin, has to be absorbed in through skin and has to be activated by liver and kidneys, as far I can tell I still have my liver and kidneys so what is the rationale? Dietary deficiency does not seem to be a good cause because even a normal stomach cannot really get in all the requirements without the sunlight.

Well my darlin, i beg to differ with you in a big way here. . . before the surgery we all had labs etc drawn. . . mine were perfect at that time including my Vitamin D. . . so after the surgery it has become severely low. . . ummmmm surgery????? even my WLSurgeon admits it's from the surgery. . . just my observation. . .

My pre-surgery labs showed a Vitamin D deficiency and I had to take supplements up to surgery. I stopped at surgery time. At my 2 month labs, again, I had a D deficiency, and was instructed to return to the supplements. So, some have it and, apparently, some don't.

no issues with Vitamin deficiency issue that i know of yet- however along the lines of the original post. I think perhaps now I am Bat SHIXX crazy. I am angry all the time. My poor coworkers. Even my cat tries to avoid me.

I was warned that there could be some issues after surgery. I honestly thought if I KNEW what was happening to me I would be able to control it. I am not doing so well. If I am not totally ticked off I am extremely depressed and tired. I am not sure I like the human that is turning out to be hidden under all that extra weight.

weight.png

Well here we are...a bit out from my original post. Will let you all know that everything mood wise had evened out. So hang in there! On a side note I too am deficient in vit D. Also have found out that taking a magnesium supplement helps me feel and sleep better too. Learned that from a fellow sleeve sister :) Hope you all are doing well too. HUGS

humm magnesium I might have to give that a go! I hadn't heard that before...at this point it can't hurt. Thank you.

My pre-surgery labs showed a Vitamin D deficiency and I had to take supplements up to surgery. I stopped at surgery time. At my 2 month labs, again, I had a D deficiency, and was instructed to return to the supplements. So, some have it and, apparently, some don't.

Yes Vit D3 is a common dificiency. You go out in the Sun without sunscreen with arms, legs, or upper body exposed alittle everyday and you will get good improvements or take a supplement. Many OB patients are prescribed Vit D supplements now. Remember that Vit D is a horomone precursor and fat soluble.