Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I almost feel like a cry baby writing this. Today makes it exactly 2 weeks since my sleeve surgery. I have been reading enough on this board to kinda know the emotions to expect. I weighed today and have not lost a pound since Wednesday. I am okay with that. I did a self-check and realize that I am not getting enough Protein in everyday (fluids probably around 40-45 ounces). I stocked up on some (what used to be delicious) whey Protein that is 52 grams of protein per 8 ounces. Now I can’t stand the stuff. I mean every day I try to get at least half of it down, but it just makes me want to vomit (TMI?). I plan on buying an ice cream maker (recommended by Eggface) to see if that helps.

I have been working out on Your Shape Fitness (Xbox Kinetics) for about 15 minutes a day and doing so very lite weight lifting (mainly for my arms while watching TV). 15 minutes is all I have in me with no food.

I was thinking about stretching my full liquid stage out for 2 more weeks, but I don’t think I can do it without some good protein options. Maybe I should end the full liquids on schedule and stretch out mushies? I don’t know anymore. I am very happy for the weight I lost so far. I started this journey at 279 and I am now 255. So its progress.

I am just in need of encouraging words. These emotions are taking a toll and I am trying to stay strong. I keep telling myself “Anna you’re new to this.” “Anna you can and will do this” but its getting harder.

Thanks for letting me vent. Tears and all, I have no other choice.

ok so 24 pounds in two weeks? That is HUGE! Why would you want to extend your phases? Follow your doctors plan. Extending phases will not make the weight come off faster.

I wanted some big miracle in the weeks following the surgery, they did not happen. Celebrate each pound loss for what it is, when on any diet did we ever lose more than 8 pounds a month??? Celebrate that you feel full on just a few bites, it a new control over food we never had! Celebrate each new food you are allowed to try as your phases progress, and then celebrate how little of it makes full!

The weeks to come will bring about amazing changes in your body! You will go through clothes sizes quickly and wonder who the heck is looking back at you in the mirror!

Be kind to yourself!

Ok, you know that you're experiencing what most of us did about 2 weeks out -- I think I bawled like a baby for a solid week. That's to be expected.

If there's one piece of advise I can give to someone is not to obsess about the weight (I know easier said than done -- and sometimes I should re-read that myself). But in reality, if you're doing everything your dr. said to do, getting in all your Protein, all the Water you can (because I know it's hard at this point), AND you're doing exercise, then you don't need to worry -- it will come off, BELIEVE ME!!

Your body is still recovering, it's still swollen, it's probably holding onto Water because it's in shock.

And a lot of people stall for a week or so around the 3rd week (you may be early) -- no worries -- WE ALL STALL!! It's natural. Our bodies are saying, "Whoa!! I must be in the middle of a famine! I will not let myself lose anymore weight than necessary, if at all. I must survive!" Really, our bodies think we are in a famine and at about the 3rd month mark, it becomes convinced you are dying and starts shedding hair in an effort to save its resources.

So, please don't worry. You've already lost 24 pounds (hooray!! :D) -- you will get there -- trust the process, in reality, there is no physical way you will have stopped losing weight -- your stomach is too small :) You're not eating even 1/2 of what you used to eat. YOU WILL LOSE MORE WEIGHT!

Hope that helps! Hugs, Julie

Anna - i am three weeks and two days out - mushies aren't any better trust me. I drink chicken broth all the time. I think it helps with some kind of craving. Don't ask me what it is but i feel a boost of energy and its warm and goes down so easy i swear to you i could drink it all day. The only thing the mushies have done for me is make me constipated. So talk about no weight loss in the last few days, well your lookin at it. I almost feel better just drinking warm fluids then eating when i am backed up (TMI sorry).

Just do what you can - i am in the same boat - but love my chicken broth. Try it it might help and its 3 grams of Protein a cup so its some protein.

good luck

carmy

AnnaT -- Sweetie, I know exactly what you are going through and trust me it WILL get better SOON. I was in the pit of despair in my second week. Once I got into mushies I felt so, so much better. I am only a couple of weeks ahead of you so I remember my Day 13 meltdown vividly. I have had a couple of mini-stalls in the past couple of weeks and hope that doesn't happen to you, but if it does you at least know you're not the only one!

You are doing GREAT so far and this rough patch will soon be just a memory. If you can find things to take your mind off your misery, do that. Go see a movie or get a mani-pedi with a friend get a facial or massage, or just curl up on the sofa and watch some old fave DVDs or trashy tv shows. You should feel no shame in babying yourself right now. Your body went through some major trauma a short time ago, and while you look fine on the outside, your body is working hard to heal up.

And wow, you are losing an amazing amount of weight! Yay for you!!!!! smile.gif

Hey I sent you a personal message as well and now I know that you have had the surgery about four days before me. Like I said its day 11 and the first day I haven't cried, but don't focus on the weight! Focus on the liquids at least 6-8 glasses with 70 grams of protien. I have heard about hair lose and fatigue and skin peeling from not getting it in. Maybe you need to look for another protien drink there are all kinds. Most of all do what your doctor says. Its gonna get better!

I am 2 1/2 weeks out, and I have stayed the same weight (actually gained 1/2 lb) over the last week. I know it cant last, but all the past fears about that point where the weight starts to come back on...just weigh on my mind. We will be ok, and will lose lots more weight. Just sit tight.

Hi All,

I almost feel like a cry baby writing this. Today makes it exactly 2 weeks since my sleeve surgery. I have been reading enough on this board to kinda know the emotions to expect. I weighed today and have not lost a pound since Wednesday. I am okay with that. I did a self-check and realize that I am not getting enough Protein in everyday (fluids probably around 40-45 ounces). I stocked up on some (what used to be delicious) whey Protein that is 52 grams of protein per 8 ounces. Now I can’t stand the stuff. I mean every day I try to get at least half of it down, but it just makes me want to vomit (TMI?). I plan on buying an ice cream maker (recommended by Eggface) to see if that helps.

I have been working out on Your Shape Fitness (Xbox Kinetics) for about 15 minutes a day and doing so very lite weight lifting (mainly for my arms while watching TV). 15 minutes is all I have in me with no food.

I was thinking about stretching my full liquid stage out for 2 more weeks, but I don’t think I can do it without some good protein options. Maybe I should end the full liquids on schedule and stretch out mushies? I don’t know anymore. I am very happy for the weight I lost so far. I started this journey at 279 and I am now 255. So its progress.

I am just in need of encouraging words. These emotions are taking a toll and I am trying to stay strong. I keep telling myself “Anna you’re new to this.” “Anna you can and will do this” but its getting harder.

Hi All,

I almost feel like a cry baby writing this. Today makes it exactly 2 weeks since my sleeve surgery. I have been reading enough on this board to kinda know the emotions to expect. I weighed today and have not lost a pound since Wednesday. I am okay with that. I did a self-check and realize that I am not getting enough Protein in everyday (fluids probably around 40-45 ounces). I stocked up on some (what used to be delicious) Whey Protein that is 52 grams of protein per 8 ounces. Now I can’t stand the stuff. I mean every day I try to get at least half of it down, but it just makes me want to vomit (TMI?). I plan on buying an ice cream maker (recommended by Eggface) to see if that helps.

I did hit a stall at the 2-3 week mark. Your body just underwent major surgery. It needs to catch up so just relax. The scale will move again. My taste did change after surgery-I used the sugar free carnation instant Breakfast with a scoop of dry milk mix. It increased my protein to 18 grams. I added the sugar free Torani syrups to change up the flavors. It was a bit higher in carbs but it helped me to get protien as I could not stomach the othe protien mixes.

I was not allowed to exercise even lifting weights until 6 weeks out. They recommended walking as much as possible in the beginning. But every doctor is different so check with your doctor.

I could not wait until the mushie stage. I had a 1 week liquid diet and 2 weeks after surgery. Trying scrambled eggs and a little bit of mashed potatoes was heaven for me.

For myself, I never shed a tear before or after surgery. This was a wonderful gift I had given myself in helping to lose weight. If you are emotional, examine what is causing this. Are you mourning food, or what reason but be honest as to why. You may need to speak with a professional if to help you overcome these feelings. Do you have a support group that you can attend. It may help to actually see and talk with others that are working to the same goal of losing weight and becoming healthy.

Keep you the good work. You have already lost weight which will never come back.

Anna-- Do me a favor and do not weigh yourself every day. If you have to weigh yourself, do it once a week, at the same time. I hit a stall at the beginning of week 3 and stayed the same for 3 weeks. At the end of the first week, I was absolutely beside myself. I cried and cursed myself for having done this to myself. I put the scale away and my whole outlook changed. I stopped obsessing and started focusing on what I was doing, not the effects of what I was doing. When the stall broke, I decided to stick with the 'once a week' rule and now I weigh myself every Saturday at 8AM. I am down 9 pounds since the end of the stall and that makes me happy. It isn't a lot day by day, but over a period of time, that is pretty good.

Don't forget, this isn't a sprint, it is a marathon. You will make it to the finish line!!

Thank you guys for your encouraging words. I am feeling a lot better today. I have been thinking about the positives and I KNOW things will get better. I just needed to hear it from my other wonderful sleevers.

Hey Anna! You're doing awesome, girl! Here's the thing. The first few weeks were total survival mode for me. It wasn't about getting in the required amounts of anything...it was about getting in whatever I could to survive (mostly sugar free pudding and broth which netted me very little protein). I didn't get anywhere near my Protein goal or my Water goal...or any other goal for that matter. I just tried hard to get in what I could. ANY kind of protein supplement immediately gave me massive diarrhea. Before surgery I loved Crystal light. After surgery I couldn't stand anything at all that was premade with artificial sweetener. I also discovered that cold drinks made my stomach ache. Hot Decaf tea on the other hand was a lot easier on me, and I enjoyed it. Give yourself a break. It takes a while to learn how this new stomach operates, and what you like. In a couple of months, it'll get a lot easier! Before that...it's a learning process, and you won't be perfect. That's okay though, because nobody expects you to be. Just take it a week at a time and work on little pieces of your goal. Maybe this week you want to work on fluids. Next week work on upping your daily protein by 10 or 20 grams. Whatever. Just break it down...pick something to focus on...and don't beat yourself up if you're not perfect. You're doing great!! 24 pounds is AWESOME!