Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

food confusion

I asked one member this on a personal reply but I thought I would put it out there to anyone ..

I noticed many of the posts and ideas for food once yu get to "regular" food include bread, and pastries etc... I was told by my doctor not to eat bread, Pasta, or rice. He gave me the impression that it would clog my sleeve. Also am not supposed to eat oatmeal, celery, asparagus and artichokes due to their fiberous qualities. Some people say they eat anything they want but in moderation... is this a personal thing? Am I just going to have to experiment to see what I can and can't tolerate? I think the things I miss the most are crackers, chips and nuts. If I chew these well enough, will they be ok? I haven't gotten anything from the Bariatric company that supports my doctor and my doctor's advice is: "Never more than a cup of food, 3 times a day, no bread pasta or rice"

I'm sorry but that just isn't good enough to create an eating plan on. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions as to what worked and what may not work so well.

I am in my 5th week, post op and I am getting ready to go to soft foods for 2 weeks.

also...

My husband and I eat out a lot. I get the part about sharing food...not a problem for either of us and odering off the "sides" or kids' menus. Is there anything hidden I should be aware of or does restaurant eating just mainly boil down to common sense?

Thanks so much in advance.

I have enjoyed reading most of your posts!

I do not eat white carbs (anything made with white flour, rice or potatoes) anymore because I can't fit them in my stomach. My doc said Protein first and if I eat the protein, in the room I have left I mostly want some green veggies or some fruit. Also white carbs are high in calories and I can't afford them. I think the people who are eating bread and carbs are mostly at maintenance and have learned what works for them, or have discovered that in order to lose they need more carbs than us ketosis folks. As far as fibrous vegetables go, I love asparagus but only eat the tips now. I never cared for artichokes or celery by themselves (too much like "diet food") but put celery in my chicken or tuna salad. I eat oatmeal, no problem. Crackers and chips are trigger foods for me and besides being white carbs I just don't eat them. It's a small step from a cracker to a cookie for me and I'd rather not start down that slippery slope.

well put foxbins I am trying my best to stay aways from any carbs..We decided to have this surgery to lose not weight not to go backwards and start gaining it back..I will eat healthy complex carbs but they don't consist of white rice bread or chips.. Most healthy carb come from fruits and veggies..Good luck

I do eat anything and everything in moderation, BUT I didn't follow that guideline during my losing phase.

I stuck to:

600-800 calories

no more than 30 grams of carbs (ALL carbs, none that net carb, good/bad carb crap, a carb is a carb in my book)

60+ grams of Protein

64oz of clear fluids

That's what got me to goal, and I stuck to it. I didn't waiver, I didn't want to lose slowly, I didn't want to worry about maintenance until I got there.

I could not have celery, raw nuts, veggies/fruits for 3 months because they are more difficult to digest, and transit time is different after surgery. Certain foods still hang out in my sleeve for a long time even at 20 months out. I still can not eat edamame without burping it up 3-4 hours later, and that's chewing it to a pulp, but I still burp up little chunky pieces of edamame.

As for oatmeal/cream of wheat/cereal in general, I avoided it during my losing stage with the exception of when I hit full liquids, I could have super thinned out cream of wheat and the warm Cereal felt good on my stomach so I had it a couple of times. I didn't fret over carbs during the first couple of weeks because hydration was the focus. Once I got to mushies, I adhered to the guidelines very closely.

Carbs are a slippery slope for many. I personally do not get the "eat a carb, crave a carb" thing that other people experience. Maybe it's because I lost that during my losing stage, and my body just runs better when I eat a balanced, and nutrient dense diet. I do keep white carbs in check, but if I want a sourdough pannini sandwich, I eat one. I just make sure that my next meal is majority of Protein. It's just what works for me in maintenance. I do eat chips, pretzels, Cookies, cake, junk food, but again, it's a slippery slope, and I could easily gain by eating junk food because it slides right through me.

I avoid breads and white carbs. The problem is that if you eat white carbs, your stomach fills up and you don't have room for Protein. I ate a small bite of fried rice at a birthday dinner Saturday and I became very full from it. The result was I didn't eat all my protein. It really is a learning process and I will say I learned my lesson from that. I do sometimes eat fruit and vegetables, so I get a bit of carbs from that. I feel those are healthy carbs, though, so I don't stress about it. I am very strict about my calories and protein. I count everything that goes into my mouth on My Fitness Pal.

As far as fiberous foods go, I do remember someone writing in here that they had to have something removed with a scope that would not digest. I can't remember what it was though!

For the most part, you can eat anything after your're approved for full diet. It all boils down to how fast do you want to lose? If you keep your carbs low, under 30 grams you will definitely lose faster. Personally, I like to have some fruit sometimes and that's where I get my carbs from. After you get to your goal weight, it's a juggling act after you meet your Protein needs to see what else you can eat without gaining weight back. There is no hard and fast rule that you have to stay off carbs forever.

Jody someone here has scanned their surgeon's notebook and offered to email it to anyone who would like it. It might give you some more clear direction.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/13062-gastric-sleevebypass-booklet/

I believe you asked this on my Breakfast post. What follows is my personal opinion!

I eat anything I want for now. I am trying to stay away from highly processed food and "white carbs" - even though white carbs have the same amount of calories as "brown carbs", ie. brown whole grain rice and whole wheat Pasta has th same calories as white rice and Pasta.< /p>

I know I would lose faster if I would stick to a rigorous diet avoiding any type of unhealthy foods and cutting carbs to an excrutiating minimum. I applaud anyone who follows those guidelines for their strength and willpower. Unfortunately (or not?), this isn't me. I am only 3 months out tomorrow, I have lost 45 pounds which is probably fairly slow compared to others, but I eat what I want in moderation. If I want a piece of my husband's bear claw, I will have that. If I want to eat 1/4 bagel, I will do that. I make sure I get at least 60 g of Protein every day.

The sleeve gives me the moderation I was never able to do (while keeping my sanity). If I was able to follow a diet that strict, I would probably not have needed the sleeve. I am currently stalled a little bit since a week, but I am continuing to eat this way - mainly to see if the stall is just a stall or if it is related to what I eat. I am hoping I'll break through it without having to cut out the carbs. I am eating 800 to 900 calories during the week, and maybe 1200 calories on the weekend days. I work out pretty much every day for at least 40 minutes. MFP is down right now, so I can't post exact values.

The good thing is, I am just happy. I am not craving anything - because I can have everything. In my opinion, I am eating like a normal person, ie. eat what I want in moderation. I have wanted to be able to do this all my life, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is it and that I DON'T have to live with "Can't have this, can't have that" anymore.

I believe you asked this on my Breakfast post. What follows is my personal opinion!

I eat anything I want for now. I am trying to stay away from highly processed food and "white carbs" - even though white carbs have the same amount of calories as "brown carbs", ie. brown whole grain rice and whole wheat Pasta has th same calories as white rice and Pasta.< /p>

I know I would lose faster if I would stick to a rigorous diet avoiding any type of unhealthy foods and cutting carbs to an excrutiating minimum. I applaud anyone who follows those guidelines for their strength and willpower. Unfortunately (or not?), this isn't me. I am only 3 months out tomorrow, I have lost 45 pounds which is probably fairly slow compared to others, but I eat what I want in moderation. If I want a piece of my husband's bear claw, I will have that. If I want to eat 1/4 bagel, I will do that. I make sure I get at least 60 g of Protein every day.

The sleeve gives me the moderation I was never able to do (while keeping my sanity). If I was able to follow a diet that strict, I would probably not have needed the sleeve. I am currently stalled a little bit since a week, but I am continuing to eat this way - mainly to see if the stall is just a stall or if it is related to what I eat. I am hoping I'll break through it without having to cut out the carbs. I am eating 800 to 900 calories during the week, and maybe 1200 calories on the weekend days. I work out pretty much every day for at least 40 minutes. MFP is down right now, so I can't post exact values.

The good thing is, I am just happy. I am not craving anything - because I can have everything. In my opinion, I am eating like a normal person, ie. eat what I want in moderation. I have wanted to be able to do this all my life, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is it and that I DON'T have to live with "Can't have this, can't have that" anymore.

I do the same as Sussanne, I might be a slow loser, but am near goal 6 months out. I have restricted myself since I was 9 years old from "bad foods" but it never worked for me, as I would put on all the weight and more. Of course most of the time I limit myself to good, slow release carbs (fruit, veggies, whole grain bread for toast or oatmeal and skimmed milk) I am not doing the you can't have this or the other anymore either, a few times since surgery I felt like having nachos, I had 2 or 3 and my desires or cravings were gone,I know that if I don't have what I feel like eating (i wouldn't call it craving anymore) I just think about it all the timeand fantasise about, and eventually when I can get hold of the food i've been craving I'd probably binge on it!

Susanne and Chilo how you are eating with the sleeves is the way I want to eat with my sleeve. I so dont want to get on the crazy diet train again. I want to eat and enjoy and be happy with life. Being so focus on food didnt help me out any. My two cents worth.

I can't eat white plain bread. It feels like it just goes down super slow, and I don't like that feeling. It's not good for me anyway, so I just stay away from it.

Susanne and Chilo how you are eating with the sleeves is the way I want to eat with my sleeve. I so dont want to get on the crazy diet train again. I want to eat and enjoy and be happy with life. Being so focus on food didnt help me out any. My two cents worth.

I am a little too far from goal to be used as an example, but I think Chilo did well and even though she is struggling, just looking at the pictures you can tell it has worked well for her!