Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ignorance!

Oh my god. What is wrong with people? This makes me very upset. That is the reason I was always afraid of going out to dinner with my husband before surgery. I didn't even like walking down the street, not because of the exercise, but because I was afraid of what people thought of me. :(

Just the other week I was going thru McDonalds drive thru to get my boys dinner and some guy behind us kept yelling at me- telling me how fat I was and hoping there was food left after I got done going thru- and what not- the kicker- I hadn't ordered ONE thing for me! I just didn't know what to do- I started crying- of course then my kids are like- whats wrong mom- fortunately they had their ear phones on playing their DS's - but gosh- it was really the last straw to make the discission to have this done.

It's a shame that people can't or choose not to use the "mouth" filter learned when they were younger. I'll never forget the time my best friend and I attended a first communion together and the priest touched her belly and asked how far along she was. She laughed it off and responded that she wasn't pregnant, just fat, but I felt so horrible for her! She's really only slightly overweight, but has a protruding stomach due to a hernia issue. I had gotten the pregnant comment once before but slightly opposite. I was over 300 pounds and pregnant and someone told me that they would never have guessed that I was pregnant. Guess I was just too fat to show it!!

Most likely, this older man was just a jerkass. BUT, I always see things from a different prospective. You have no idea where this guy is coming from. Not that is makes what he said okay, but he could have some underlying illness that may not be noticable to you. One thing that comes to mind is Alzheimers disease or a simliar type of demntia. My father was diagnosed with AD at age 56 and died at age 61, so anyone of any age can be aflicted with it. AND, someone suffering from AD will say ANYTHING. They have no filter, its not their fault. My dad said all kinds of things to people. He would have never said those kinds of things before his illness. He called the nurses fatasses or commented on how big they were. One got so upset and I was like, seriously, you are a nurse working with all demntia patients. My dad always called me "The Big one". I just learned to laugh it off, because I know he didnt mean it.

I have no clue if this guy had AD, but you have to always think of other possibilities instead of just being totally offended and thinking he is an asshole. But who know, he could just be an old, unhappy jerk.