Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation??? MOM???

Let me preface by saying a big fat "EEEWWWW" Milk of Magnesia taste aweful!!!! Is there any secret ways to make it better....wait, I think I know...please tell me they make something in a pill/capsul form??

Also, of the nasty liquid stuff, not sure if you should take the whole dose or not since our tummys are alot smaller?? I just hope it works, Im not all about getting completely blocked up...yearrrggggg

I have never tried MOM so, sorry, I am no help!

I do take Miralax. You get it in a powder and it disovles in liquid. I just mix it with my crystal light and don't even know its there. And it works great.

Good luck!! I feel your pain :/

At a year out, I've finally learned the secret IS Miralax. Tried it before, but only when things got stopped up (which is pretty much constantly if I'm eating right), but it takes having it consistently to keep things moving along. For the last week I've been taking it as directed (one capful mixed in liquid a day) and things have been WONDERFUL--I mean, as these things go. Heh..."go" ... get it? Anyway, it's early and my caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

Like Sarah says too, it mixes in completely, NO residue, NO taste, nothing. If you have a Sam's membership, you can get their brand at about half the cost of the name brand and it works just as well. I'm totally sold on the stuff now, just wish I'd been consistent with it earlier!

(and, it does not cause dependency, so later on when you can fit in more healthy carbs and fibers so you don't need it anymore, or as much, your body will still remember how to function normally without it.)

Just a reminder, If you take vit D it can constipate you... make sure to take Magnesium to counter that....

My NUTs are all over benefiber. Not the tablets or pills of Benefiber, the kind you mix into Water. So that is my thing...I drink the orange flavored benefiber 1 or 2x a day and it does really help!

Good suggestions all. Don't forget good old prune juice if you don't need something everyday. A little high in carbs and I like the taste. You can buy small cans and keep a few if needed.

I use miralax started using it a year ago, and I must say it works wonders. Also it is in powder form and can be mixed with anything "doesn't have a taste" Also I would maybe look in to taking a stool softner for a while if you are having problems with Constipation. I use the phillips stool softners and I haven't had any problems since surgery..

This has been such a huge problem for me since I have IBS and always had the exact opposite problem for the last 20 years. My doc said Collace every day to no avail. So tonight I went and got Miralx and Bennifber and took both! If things don't get going..............................

SOmeone here recommended benefiber on a regular basis. I don't do it regularly though but when I start getting backed up. It is chewable pills that taste like orange sweethearts. If you don't like to drink stuff that works.

I drank a little epsom salt with warm Water when I got backed up. It is so AWFUL and you want to puke. But it works like a charm. You gotta get unbacked up and then find a way to increase your Fiber.

I'm almost a year out and things are slow but regular. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week. Kinda happens all in one day it seems. Sort of an issue of volume, you need volume in there to keep things moving.

Fiber fiber fiber I can't wait for summer. I love watermelon.

I have suffered from this for 20 years... Needless to say, since surgery, it has been worse. I spoke with my doctor on Tuesday and he said that once you are backed up, it is useless to take anything by mouth. He said that your best best was an enema. As much as the idea of an enema grosses me out, if it is the best thing to unblock me, I guess that is where I'll go.

I have been using the mirilax twice a week. This was used for preop the night before surgery. I had to take the entire 7 day dose mixed with gatorade. Everything came out clean as a whistle. ;) After surgery, this has just been enough to keep me soft and easy going. What I like is that you can mix it with Water, juice or other liquid and you cannot taste it.

Good Luck in whatever you try.

I use benefiber as well. 1-3 times a day, depending on Fiber foods I eat. I used to get 30 g of fiber a day easily, now somedays I only get what's in the benefiber. Constipation is way too painful.

Also, I would rather keep ahead of the problem.