Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Download the Myfittnes App so that you can journal what your eating. Are you still doing the Protein Shakes?

Have you started journaling everything you eat? Writing it down can sometimes help you figure it out. How much exercise are you doing?

I exercise now about 4 times a week.. It's funny I feel like I don't know what to do anymore.. I feel lost.. I need to pack away the scale and not think about it for a week or more!
I just vowed to not get on a scale for 30 days bc I'm at a stall too, no movement on the scale for 2 weeks, I'm just gonna focus on eating right and exercising.... Like you said before at least you haven't gained!!!

Download the Myfittnes App so that you can journal what your eating. Are you still doing the Protein Shakes?

No I just eat my Protein

Download the Myfittnes App so that you can journal what your eating. Are you still doing the protein shakes?

No I just eat my protein

Have you started journaling everything you eat? Writing it down can sometimes help you figure it out. How much exercise are you doing?

I exercise now about 4 times a week.. It's funny I feel like I don't know what to do anymore.. I feel lost.. I need to pack away the scale and not think about it for a week or more!
I've also decided to take a scale break for 30 days and focus on eating right and getting my exercise in... The scale hasn't moved for me in 2 weeks... So frustrating, but God has a way of making you see the upside of things... I went shopping and bought a size 12 (haven't worn that in yeeeeaaaarrrrrsssss) and not only did it fit... But it's also a little loose!!!! Just be patient!! It will get better!!!

Boy am I loving me!!! What a difference a year can make!!

April 2013 size 18 dress and now April 2014 size 10 dress! !

#shedidthat #curvygirl # almost at my goal weight #lovingme

Woohoo u look awesome. How much did u lose?

Boy am I loving me!!! What a difference a year can make!!

April 2013 size 18 dress and now April 2014 size 10 dress! !

#shedidthat #curvygirl # almost at my goal weight #lovingme

Woohoo u look awesome. How much did u lose?

What do yall think?

Awesome woohoo

What do yall think?

Awesome woohoo

TO ALL THAT RESPONDED TO MY POST...THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH I NEEDED THE WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT AND REASSURANCE...THANK YOU....VERY APPRECIATED....I HOPE I FIND A LONG TIME BUDDY ON THIS SITE...I AM IN NEED OF ONE...SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT I AM GOING THRU, GOING TO GO THRU ETC...! EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT MORNING!!! LIZ

Know that we are here for you from beginning til you reach your goal and beyond. I was really scared to all the things that ran through my mind but what I had that was stronger was my faith that my God would not bring me to this if I was not meant to come through it. You are here because he wants you to be here and wants you to be a better you. If you want to talk just holla I will answer!!!!!

Hey Everyone,

I've not read this thread completely as it is LONG, but I just wanted to check-in about something that I've noticed. If this has been discussed on the thread please forgive and humor be with your thoughts on this. A little bit of background on me, I live in Seattle and I have a pretty integrated lifestyle in terms of hanging out/being friends with people from different races. I'm 37 years old, 260ish pounds, pre-diabetic, hypertensive and arthritic. I am pre-surgery and finishing up some insurance requirements (supervised diet) to qualify for the procedure. I've noticed that there is a huge discrepancy in talking about WLS with black verses white friends. Of the few people I've told I'm considering this, when I discuss this with white folks the response is overwhelming positive and with black folks its like - "oh" and I get the laundry list of people they know who've had complications with any WLS EVER. So interesting. It really has been split down the middle with only one exception. Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on this????? I'm not trying to start a "race thing", so let's avoid generalizations and speak from experience. Thanks.

@@MisforMimi, it is best to get negative and positive feedback. The feedback wither it comes from "black" or "white" people should all be taken into consideration. Stay open minded and remember anything that is not natural to your body will have some sort of consequence. I have had a lap band revised to the gastric sleeve just over a week ago. I can attest to both sides of the coin. In the end it's really what you make it and your mind frame.

Hope this helps

I haven't had the surgery yet two more visits and then wait on insurance. But I am not prejudiced or anything but in talking about it more negativity comes from our own race rather than the latter so I try not to discuss it....'anyway it's non of their Beez wax.. We r not very supportive of each other..some of us any way . Wat I have started to do is to tell them I have started to change how I eat and wat I eat.. I even tell them I am working with a nutritionist. I am not lying it's true just not the entire truth. With the changes to come with the surgery I need positive people around me , I already have negative issues being overweight I don't need no more.

@@MisforMimi, it is best to get negative and positive feedback. The feedback wither it comes from "black" or "white" people should all be taken into consideration. Stay open minded and remember anything that is not natural to your body will have some sort of consequence. I have had a lap band revised to the gastric sleeve just over a week ago. I can attest to both sides of the coin. In the end it's really what you make it and your mind frame.

Hope this helps

I can definitely appreciate this. I have been researching and talking to ppl that've had any WLS. Once I've may up my mind I can be headstrong and anything else feels like a personal attack! Definitely the all or none thinking that contributed to my weight issues in the first place. Thanks for the reminder! :)

<p>Hey Everyone, </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I've not read this thread completely as it is LONG, but I just wanted to check-in about something that I've noticed. If this has been discussed on the thread please forgive and humor be with your thoughts on this. A little bit of background on me, I live in Seattle and I have a pretty integrated lifestyle in terms of hanging out/being friends with people from different races. I'm 37 years old, 260ish pounds, pre-diabetic, hypertensive and arthritic. I am pre-surgery and finishing up some insurance requirements (supervised diet) to qualify for the procedure. I've noticed that there is a huge discrepancy in talking about WLS with black verses white friends. Of the few people I've told I'm considering this, when I discuss this with white folks the response is overwhelming positive and with black folks its like - "oh" and I get the laundry list of people they know who've had complications with any WLS EVER. So interesting. It really has been split down the middle with only one exception. Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on this????? I'm not trying to start a "race thing", so let's avoid generalizations and speak from experience. Thanks.</p>

Hey girl! Your the first black person I've met from Seattle I'm 28 from Tacoma but I currently reside in Miami! I would love to keep in touch! I had my sleeve done about 2.5 months ago! I'm currently your weight now and was at 301 pre-surgery! I'll be in town in August would love for us to meet and hang out! Btw only my boyfriend and best friends in LA and Chicago know! No one in my family knows accept my Godmom in Tacoma! In my opinion majority black people are negative about 99.9 percent of everything they aren't educated about and even then still close minded!

Edited by sweetcheeks14

<p>Hey Everyone, </p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I've not read this thread completely as it is LONG, but I just wanted to check-in about something that I've noticed. If this has been discussed on the thread please forgive and humor be with your thoughts on this. A little bit of background on me, I live in Seattle and I have a pretty integrated lifestyle in terms of hanging out/being friends with people from different races. I'm 37 years old, 260ish pounds, pre-diabetic, hypertensive and arthritic. I am pre-surgery and finishing up some insurance requirements (supervised diet) to qualify for the procedure. I've noticed that there is a huge discrepancy in talking about WLS with black verses white friends. Of the few people I've told I'm considering this, when I discuss this with white folks the response is overwhelming positive and with black folks its like - "oh" and I get the laundry list of people they know who've had complications with any WLS EVER. So interesting. It really has been split down the middle with only one exception. Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on this????? I'm not trying to start a "race thing", so let's avoid generalizations and speak from experience. Thanks.</p>

I've found that people whom don't know about the procedure tend to be judgemental and think you are taking the easy way out... But once I explained to them that I've done EVERYTHING to lose weight and that I am now 260lbs, prediabetic, have hypertension and high cholesterol all at the age of 30... And I explain to then what I have to go through to be approved... It changes their mind. You also have to tell yourself that you're doing this for yourself and that people will always have an opinion. Good luck!!!

@ MisforMimi, I totally get what you're saying. I did notice however that when I told people I was going to Mexico for my sleeve I got the big eyes from all races although I had done my research and picked an amazing surgeon. I do believe black people are in general less open to/ understanding of surgery period- be it something necessary or something cosmetic. It's frowned upon and you tend to be written off as not accepting yourself the way you are. Many of us are not even organ donors or wouldn't even consider organ donation which makes absolutely no sense to me.

My thought about the whole thing is "Whatever"- people can judge me for what I've done and they'll judge me when I get the other work I want done too I'm sure. If I had had any issues postop, then it would've been "see we told her not to do it", but then if I had died fat, they would've been in the pews at my service saying how fat I was (whether that was the cause of death or not) and how I should've done something about it. I worked with a girl who was heavy and lost a lot of weight naturally and began to lead a very healthy lifestyle. One day at work she was having trouble with her asthma and chose to go home instead of going to the emergency room (I work at a hospital). She unfortunately ended up passing away and do you know people were saying she lost too much weight and that may have had something to do with it?! And we're talking about people in the medical field! Sorry for the long post, but I think it boils down to people just being effin crazy honestly.