Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

I had my surgery December 3rd 2012 i haven't had any Hair loss other than the hair i already had due to age but i did have a lot of problems with the Protein Shakes they make me sick to stomach and i tried all types and brands. As far as i know i don't think it's a culture issue. As far as the soul food issue i will find out this thanksgiving when i go to my cousin's house in Oakland for my Aunt Daisy's Louisiana cooking. I have decided since i can eat only a little i will only eat sweet potatoes but we'll see cause the Gumbo is good too. Sorry i got off topic there. Anyways i think eventually you can eat anything in reason in smaller amounts. I tried some collar greens a few weeks ago but i don't think my stomach is ready as i recently just started being able to eat more than 5 bites of food a day. ( i was an extreme case) things are a lot better now though thank the lord. I had no energy for weeks cause i couldn't eat or drink Protein. I have a question though does any one else find that the smell of most fast food makes them nauseous? I find driving by McDonald's makes me sick from the smell of the fryer. I have noticed my skin seems extra dry but i don't know if it's the surgery or the winter weather.

Nikki_D good luck with your surgery your gonna feel so much better

I was sleeved Dec. 19, 2012. So far I lost 33lb. I can't drink the protein shakes either. So I focus on protein first. I eat a lot of fish, shrimp, and chili. I'm always looking for stuff with high protein. As far as food smells OMG it makes me ill. Things I use to love smells vile to me now. I thank God for that or I might have cheated. I still can eat only small amounts and I must say I really don't miss food. How much have you lost so far?

The part I hate about surgery....losing hair blah' date=' but I'm not as BIG as i was last year Pow :)

2013 is my year....Sleeved 11/19 Methodist Hosp in NY[/quote']

How much have you lost so far?

I am 4 days post op. I did a 2 wk. pre op liquid diet, and I am currently on a clear liquid diet that consist of Protein Shakes and Water. These past 3 weeks have been uncomfortable and frustrating but well worth it. I have BCBS of Michigan , I began my journey of the first info class Dec. 27th, saw the doc on Jan. 3rd, completed all requirements in January , no diet plan needed with my insurance and surgery completed February 25th 2013. For me this was the easiest process I have ever endured. Surgery day was tough and painful of course the days that have followed have gotten better day by day. Today I went to SAMs with my husband and son, BIG mistake I wanted to eat everything I saw even the samples which I never found appealing before surgery. My advice to my sisters and brothers is keep temptation to a minimum. Don't cook for family while doing pre op and post op, don't go to restaurants, don't even think you can do it! This is your time and everyone around you needs to understand you are on the most important journey of your life and your family won't starve if you stop cooking for them for a little while. And when you do begin again intro new healthy meals everyone can enjoy. Those friends that are eating buddies ,either cut them loose or encourage they change as well. I did with my friend of 23 years, she joined weight watchers prior to my surgery so by the time I'm ready to eat real food again she will be well on her way to losing weight as well. People who love and care for you will change for you those who want just aren't worth risking your health for. We are food addicts, you wouldn't take a recovering alcoholic to an open bar. So stay away from buffets, and those places that caused you to overeat. Someone asked me how are you losing weight and I just kindly said I stopped going to the drive thru and began going to the gym and the health food store!

Good luck everyone and I am here if you questions or just support! God bless!!!!

Hello everyone. I am waiting for approval for the gastric sleeve (which will come bcuz I've met all the criteria). I was ready and excited. But 2day I feel scared out of my mind! Somebody plz help me! The reality of cutting away my stomach and this thing being irreversible is really weighing heavy on my soul. Does the cut ever heal over the staples or are u ALWAYS at risk for stomach leakage? I am tearing up as I'm typing bcuz I know I need 2 make a change and time is winding down. With the surgery is your body capable of getting the true correct nutrients' date=' Vitamins ane etc.(after all these are the things ur body uses 2 fight off other diseases). My husband says I shouldn't do it. But he's not 100 lbs overweight...I AM! NOW I'm really starting to cry uncontrollably. I need to hear from some REAL PEOPLE....REAL TALK! I'm praying asking God if this is right. O God plz help me! In JESUS NAME[/quote']

I was sleeved on 2/19 and had a lot of the fears you expresses. Yes, you will be losing some of your stomach, but if you have a good medical team you'll be fine. It took me two years to get sleeved.18 months fighting for approval with Aetna and the rest because of my fears of the nature of the surgery. The stomach heals around the staples and once you pass your swallow test, the chance of leakage is almost non-existent. You will need to take supplements for the rest of your life, but I have been doing that for sometime. I know four people who had the LapBand, and not one has been without complications ( port infections, band slippage, and weight gain when they did not go in for fills as needed). Don't get me wrong, they all lost weight, but three have gained most of the loss back, and two are going for revisions to sleeves and bypass. It is going to be very important to have a good support group to help you through. My wife has seen me yo-yo up and down for almost 30 years and Walsall for my surgery.tell you husband you want to be around for your children and grandchildren, and those chances will be better with the surgery. Do your homework and you'll be just fine. My brother in law had his surgery 6 weeks before me and has lost 55lbs and couldn't be happier. Hang in there and you'll be fine. This forum was instrumental in helping me decide, and I am sure they will do the same for you. Getting my Proteins has been tough but I have managed to be creative and get all I need each days by getting high Protein Shakes, yogurts, and other foods.

I was sleeved 10/29/12 I am in my 5 th month. I am in agreement with some of the comments. It is crazy in my opinion to expect people to eat like u do if they have not had surgery. This is your journey not your family or friends. I did not go out to eat for 3 mos and when I did I took my food with me this was past the mushie stage. In order Tb successful you must commit to yourself and the process. I did not lose any weight until after my first doc visit. While in the hospital I retained Fluid. I never had any complications. I hve lost 57 lbs I am a slow loser and I accept that I hve lost inches like crazy. In my 4 th month I began exercising why did I wait so long? I wanted my body to heal, I don't compare myself to anyone on the boards. My wish for all stay committed to yourself and the process don't rush remember it is not about the weight it is about how you will function as a healthier you. Stay focus hear what your body is saying, anticipate stalls enjoy the journey. If u would like to talk further email me on foodnoproblem@gmsil.com good luck.

I am from westchester county in NY and I agree we have some of the best doctors and hospitals in the country when it comes to bariatric surgery. I mean no offense to the other states represented on this site.

I had my surgery December 3rd 2012 i haven't had any Hair loss other than the hair i already had due to age but i did have a lot of problems with the Protein Shakes they make me sick to stomach and i tried all types and brands. As far as i know i don't think it's a culture issue. As far as the soul food issue i will find out this thanksgiving when i go to my cousin's house in Oakland for my Aunt Daisy's Louisiana cooking. I have decided since i can eat only a little i will only eat sweet potatoes but we'll see cause the Gumbo is good too. Sorry i got off topic there. Anyways i think eventually you can eat anything in reason in smaller amounts. I tried some collar greens a few weeks ago but i don't think my stomach is ready as i recently just started being able to eat more than 5 bites of food a day. ( i was an extreme case) things are a lot better now though thank the lord. I had no energy for weeks cause i couldn't eat or drink Protein. I have a question though does any one else find that the smell of most fast food makes them nauseous? I find driving by McDonald's makes me sick from the smell of the fryer. I have noticed my skin seems extra dry but i don't know if it's the surgery or the winter weather.

Nikki_D good luck with your surgery your gonna feel so much better

Ive also noticed my skin becoming very dry smh I hate it....think I will try using Nivea

I was sleeved Dec. 19, 2012. So far I lost 33lb. I can't drink the Protein Shakes either. So I focus on Protein first. I eat a lot of fish, shrimp, and chili. I'm always looking for stuff with high protein. As far as food smells OMG it makes me ill. Things I use to love smells vile to me now. I thank God for that or I might have cheated. I still can eat only small amounts and I must say I really don't miss food. How much have you lost so far?

I'm down 91 so far. I had a lot of trouble with eating so when my stomach finally allowed me to eat i was eating non stop and actually put on 10 pounds but it was alright cause i lost it in a week and a half when it settled down. I needed it though as i had very little energy before but I'm doing a lot better now. I eat a lot of fish and shrimp too. I really like the turkey chili with no Beans. i have made turkey taco's, meatloaf and chili using vegetarian beans and ground turkey. I made all these as my wife had the surgery the week after me and we split it and save the leftovers to eat over a couple of days. It really helps when you have someone to go through it with you. She's down 56 so far. I will say that my biggest challenge i faced i have found some nice posts on another topic about soda fixes. Crush makes a single drink mix to put in a bottle of Water that tastes like soda without the carbonation. They have Squirt, Grape, Orange, and i just found strawberry. Some one also suggested using the syrups from the soda stream makers in regular water. they have diet and even some use Splenda instead of sugar in the non diet syrups. But none use high fructose corn Syrup.< /p>

Hello everyone. So glad I found this thread as well lol. It's always great to be able to share experiences with those like you. Anywho, I'm 27 & newly sleeved (2/25/13). I'm 1 week Post-Op now. I lost 13lbs during my pre diet phase which consisted of Protein Bar or Protein Shake for Breakfast & lunch, dinner was 3oz of meat, veggies/salad, & a small carb. You could eat a small piece of fruit in between meals. The day before surgery was liquids only. All together so far I'm down 25lbs. So that's 13 pre Op diet & 12 since surgery. Starting weight was 308. The first week was a challenge for me due to being on my 'cycle' (yes horrible timing), pain from the incision, & pain from gas & heartburn. Pain from incision is much better but I'm still battling gas & heartburn. This week I can introduce soft foods. So far so good, no vomiting or nausea ( Thank the Lord) & I'm having a hard time getting all my liquids in. I wasn't trying to get all my Protein in the first week (that's dang near impossible) but I don't want to be dehydrated so I'm sipping A LOT! I'm also walking a lot. I'm looking forward to living a healthier life & still enjoying food in moderation. If any of you guys are on youtube check out my Chanel Justmesleeved 13 :-))

My phone# is 206 251 8584

I have not... Let me say it again....have not ever regretted this surgery! Type 2 diabetes gone! High blood pressure gone! From size 24 to size 16 and I am 3 months out on the 26th. I am still losing. My swelling was gone by 6 weeks. I feel good about myself, some friends were supportive and those who where not or who where not supportive of my choices I chose not to deal with or i told them to mind their own business. last thing I needed was negativity. Do what your nutrition and surgical team tell you to the best of your ability. It may be challenging at first. But as your body heals it will get better.Learn and practice eating slower. The hardest thing I had to get used to is that I had to eat slower than others. If you eat too fast you end up taking in too much food and may throw it up. You'll learn those I'm full signals quite quickly. I remember when I could go to Red lobster and eat a whole plate of shrimps now just a little and I am full. I managed to nibble off hubby's plate and save enough money for a cruise to Jamaica. Stay positive..keep ya head on straight. Keep haters at a distance, follow your doctors nutrition guide..and exercise. You got this.

I'm down 91 so far. I had a lot of trouble with eating so when my stomach finally allowed me to eat i was eating non stop and actually put on 10 pounds but it was alright cause i lost it in a week and a half when it settled down. I needed it though as i had very little energy before but I'm doing a lot better now. I eat a lot of fish and shrimp too. I really like the turkey chili with no Beans. i have made turkey taco's, meatloaf and chili using vegetarian beans and ground turkey. I made all these as my wife had the surgery the week after me and we split it and save the leftovers to eat over a couple of days. It really helps when you have someone to go through it with you. She's down 56 so far. I will say that my biggest challenge i faced i have found some nice posts on another topic about soda fixes. Crush makes a single drink mix to put in a bottle of Water that tastes like soda without the carbonation. They have Squirt, Grape, Orange, and i just found strawberry. Some one also suggested using the syrups from the soda stream makers in regular water. they have diet and even some use Splenda instead of sugar in the non diet syrups. But none use high fructose corn Syrup.< /p>

How do you prepare your fish and shrimp. Before the surgery, I would broil my shrimp and Tilapia in olive oil and a little butter. But I don't know what to do but a little olive oil. Do you mind sharing?

This is for anyone as well...

How do you prepare your fish and shrimp. Before the surgery, I would broil my shrimp and Tilapia in olive oil and a little butter. But I don't know what to do but a little olive oil. Do you mind sharing?

This is for anyone as well...

I cook my shrimp in a pan with a little pam cooking spray. I cook my Fish in a pan on broil in the oven and season with lemon juice and maybe some pepper. i usually get baby shrimp.

I broil my fish as well. I use Mrs. Dash seasonings...most of the time lemon pepper and some real lemon powder. As for my shrimp, I use the frozen ready to eat med sized now but I did start out smaller.i just rinse the ice off pat them dry and eat them with a half a tablespoon of Walden Farms 0 calorie seafood sauce and I can eat about 4 to 6 of those. Walden farms makes 0 calorie and sugar free products like Salad Dressing, BBQ Sauce, etc.been a life saver.