Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One Year Ago Today...

Today is my sleeve anniversary. Hard to believe.

I had written a letter to myself one month before my surgery and never looked at it again until today. It basically listed all of the things I hoped could change by losing weight. Every. Single. One. Has. Changed. All 36 of them. For any of you who are pre-op, I suggest writing the letter...it really is an eye opener as I look back one year post-op. I still remember writing it, crying and thinking that this was all such a long shot.

Here are my stats:

Highest weight 1/1/10: 251

Surgery weight 1/13/10:243

Maintenance weight: 146-148

I've lost a total of 132 inches in 19 places on my body. My waist went from 49 to 36 inches.

Starting BMI: 40.4 "morbid obesity"

Current BMI: 23.2 "Normal"

I've also gone from squeezing into size 20 to slipping into 8's....whattttt!!?

In the past year, I've completed many road races including a half marathon and will be running another this weekend and next month. I feel like I eat pretty normally and do not need to feel like I have to constantly monitor what I am eating or search for the newest diet craze to help me.

In the beginning of this journey, I was on this site morning, noon, night, in the middle of the night....and obviously have scaled back but still lurk and post and check the site often.

My sister is getting sleeved in March. I look forward to the changes this surgery will provide for her. Best wishes to all of you!

That is a wonderful idea! Congrats on your success it seems you have put in the work and are reaping the rewards, congrats also on your "new" life. Best wishes.

That is great. congratulations on making the most of your sleeve!!! :)

I had written a letter to myself one month before my surgery and never looked at it again until today. It basically listed all of the things I hoped could change by losing weight. Every. Single. One. Has. Changed. All 36 of them. For any of you who are pre-op, I suggest writing the letter...it really is an eye opener as I look back one year post-op. I still remember writing it, crying and thinking that this was all such a long shot.

What an excellent idea! I am going to make my list and not check for one year. Congratulations on your sucesses.

What an excellent idea! I am going to make my list and not check for one year. Congratulations on your sucesses.

Good luck to you! I was very candid in it---listing everything from not wanting to have to hoist myself off the couch to not wanting to see those painful red lines on my skin after wearing pants. I also listed emotional things so it wasn't purely physical, but they go hand in hand in so many ways!

Enjoyed reading your success. It affirms that this is a tool that really does work. It brings hope that I wont have to go on another crazy diet. My most desire is just be a person who can eat a nice portion of food and yet be thin. Thanks for posting your story. May happy days continue.

I LOVE this idea and am so GLAD that you have came so far. I just got sleeved on Monday and am keeping a journal, have taken pictures and am logging my weight and measurements - but I love the letter idea. I will have to check back in next year and post my success.

Thank you for the inspiration!

CONGRATS!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! I'm so happy for you :)

Here are my stats:

Highest weight 1/1/10: 251

Surgery weight 1/13/10:243

Maintenance weight: 146-148

I've lost a total of 132 inches in 19 places on my body. My waist went from 49 to 36 inches.

Starting BMI: 40.4 "morbid obesity"

Current BMI: 23.2 "Normal"

I've also gone from squeezing into size 20 to slipping into 8's....whattttt!!?

In the past year, I've completed many road races including a half marathon and will be running another this weekend and next month. I feel like I eat pretty normally and do not need to feel like I have to constantly monitor what I am eating or search for the newest diet craze to help me.

In the beginning of this journey, I was on this site morning, noon, night, in the middle of the night....and obviously have scaled back but still lurk and post and check the site often.

My sister is getting sleeved in March. I look forward to the changes this surgery will provide for her. Best wishes to all of you!

Hope i can be as successful as you. Had my surgery on sept. 17 and soo scared it is not going to work!!! any advice

Sassy,

Why are you afraid it isn't going to work? My advice to you is to measure your foods until you have a good grasp on what your serving sizes should be. In addition to measuring, track your intake of calories, carbs and Protein so that you are fully aware of what you are eating. I did this for about 5 months before I felt like I could handle not tracking or measuring everything. I still occasionally measure, but for the most part, I can judge what I need or can handle.

I started exercising around 3 months post op but didn't start a serious regiment of walking until around month 4 and then by month 5-6 I joined a running group and began the long-distance training beginning with 3 miles and reaching 14 miles by 9 months post-op.

I just didn't have the energy in the beginning and I worried that I was losing slowly, etc. because I wasn't exercising but when I was able to get out and go, my rate of weight loss increased drastically. When you feel ready and are ready for a boost---definitely get the cardio going :)

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'd be glad to answer them.

Also, remember that the average weight loss for VSG is 15-20 pounds in the first month and 5-10 pounds each month following. Just be patient.

Congratulations on reaching and maintaning your goal. :clap2:

I really like the idea of writing myself a letter. Just to put in there all that I hope will change and all the frustrations of having carried this weight around for the past 25 years.

I just wanted to let you know your story just reading this 1 year out post has really inspired me. I am at the very beginning of my journey. I have not been given a surgery date yet, but I hope it comes soon.

Thank you for sharing with all of us your story. I hope you will agree to add me as a friend. I would love to keep in touch and learn from you.

Sheila :canada:

Congratulations on your awesome success!

What a wonderful idea! I have that list in my head, but you have inspired me to write it down and put it away. It will be much easier to see how far I've come in writing than to try to remember all those little things that are so frustrating and painful now.

I hope you continue to post on the boards. We can all use your wisdom from a year out.

Lisa

Congratulations on your awesome success!

What a wonderful idea! I have that list in my head, but you have inspired me to write it down and put it away. It will be much easier to see how far I've come in writing than to try to remember all those little things that are so frustrating and painful now.

I hope you continue to post on the boards. We can all use your wisdom from a year out.

Lisa

Definitely write it all down. A year from now, some of the things will (surprisingly) seem foreign to you and what a great feeling that will be. I had forgotten a lot of the things that used to plaque me daily but since I had my list, there was no denying how far I had come.