Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being told I will fail with VSG

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post here. I'm having my VSG on 2/15/11 in Mexico.

-After having my lap-band removed, after 5 years of struggle I am doing the VSG.

I am optimistic about this surgery but my family and best friend are not supportive. I am trying to loose

70 lbs..

I am told about many others who have failed with WLS and re-gained all of their weight back-even after having the total gastric bypass. So people close to me have predicted that I will not be able to maintain a weight loss, and will stretch my stomach out again and re-gain the weight. Creepy thoughts...

Well, I have heard about re-gaining all-the weight back after VSG-

I do love food and often have no "stopping point" which is why I am having the VSG in the first place.

So what do you people have to say about this?

Has anyone dealt with this issue too?

Thanks for reading this.

HC

Congratulations on deciding on the sleeve. I had considered the band but my doctor suggested the sleeve. I have only been sleeved since Dec 1st but I am so happy with my decision. There was never a moment of regret of indecision ever. If your family and friends are not supportive, you have come to the right family here. The sleeve is a tool but I think one of the more successful tools we can have.

I have never seen a more caring bunch of people who are generally concerned for you if you are having problems. They tell you like it is when you ask for opinions-it isn't sugar coated. They are there for you when you have those celebrations you want to shout from the mountain top. So welcome to the family.

you have made the best decision. for now just listen to anyone and everyone, then you will show them your results and they will stay quiet.....rock that sleeve girl....you deserve the best and the sleeve is the best!!! wish you the best of luck.

I think it's very difficult, if not impossible to stretch the sleeve. The one thing you will definitely feel with the sleeve is fast satiation. I am only a month out, but my meals are usually 1/4 of a cup... and they satisfy me. Later, you can eat more, but it will NEVER be what it was. You will still have to change your eating habits, but it's SO much easier with the sleeve. You won't be starving, you won't feel hunger all the time, and it becomes much easier to eat healthy, small, portions.

I think it's very difficult, if not impossible to stretch the sleeve. The one thing you will definitely feel with the sleeve is fast satiation. I am only a month out, but my meals are usually 1/4 of a cup... and they satisfy me. Later, you can eat more, but it will NEVER be what it was. You will still have to change your eating habits, but it's SO much easier with the sleeve. You won't be starving, you won't feel hunger all the time, and it becomes much easier to eat healthy, small, portions.

Totally agreed. It was the best decision I've ever made and I don't regret a thing.....and if you read through here you will see a lot of us are on the same page. My Parents were not supportive at all....and my Husband was 50/50. I understood their concern. You have to do what YOU KNOW is best for yourself. Screw everyone else! ;) Your stomach won't let you fail...the first 3 weeks are the hardest and then it gets easier. if you over do it, you will pay for it by puking. It's just a whole new way of living and all of us are doing it......so can you. Before my surgery, I was on here reading my ass off to prepare myself and get positive support. It's a wonderful tool pre/post op. I wish you all the best and you will do just fine. :)

Hi, I am 4 1/2 months out. My biggest issue was Portion Control too. I don't know about stretching but you can eat around your sleeve. candy high sugar things go down way too easily for me so I have to stay away from them. Making it a habit to eat your Protein first whenever you sit down to a meal helps because it fills you up quickly after a sleeve.

Hi I'm only 8 days out but LOVE my sleeve so far! Yes its tedious on liquids, and I've struggled to adjust my thinking so have made some mistakes, but when I have, I have known about it, and I'd have to be hell bent on self destruction to continue.

In the past I have over eaten to the point of discomfort,

and been fine with that, but now if I drink too much it feels like its backed up into my throat, and I certainly can't ignore that feeling and just carry on.

I think liquids may be a deceptive stage as I can drink almost normally, but I've tried a little thicker liquid and after a few spoonfulls I'm done!

Good luck with your journey.

Cx

My Dr has stressed to me that you CAN stretch the sleeve and you MUST change your eating habits or you will gain weight. If you rely on the great restriction of the sleeve early on, and not change your mindset... you may gain weight later when the sleeve stretches and its easier to eat around the sleeve. I think this is practical advice. He told me that the sleeve needs more head work from the patient than RNY... He said everyone loses weight on the sleeve, but keeping it off is the problem. And work on changing old habits is the key to keeping it off. Im going to go to the councilor and group meeting as well as come here after the sleeve... I REALLY don't want to be one of the people who gains it back...

Perception IS REALITY.

If you walk in believing you'll fail, YOU WILL. Any surgery is an opportunity, not a solution.

If you're homeless, and you win the lottery - you can still be homeless a year later by spending all the money on crap (drugs / alchohol / nice ride). The lottery money is an opportunity, not a solution. By changing your habits, cleaning up, becoming a different person in regards to money, the lottery BECOMES A SOLUTION.

Same with eating. Change your habits, your relationship with food, change your life.

You have over a year after your stomach is snipped to change up.

How will you use it? Fall back into the same patterns, or stand and deliver?

(my two cents)

Hello Everybody,

-After having my lap-band removed, after 5 years of struggle I am doing the VSG.

I am optimistic about this surgery but my family and best friend are not supportive. I am trying to loose

70 lbs..

I am told about many others who have failed with WLS and re-gained all of their weight back-even after having the total gastric bypass. So people close to me have predicted that I will not be able to maintain a weight loss, and will stretch my stomach out again and re-gain the weight. Creepy thoughts...

I do love food and often have no "stopping point" which is why I am having the VSG in the first place.

Thanks for reading this.

HC

What I always wondered is if that the hormone that causes hunger is removed, then how can someone gain it all back? My mother in law had gastric bypass and lost 100 lbs and now is larger than in the beginning.. However, I never thought to ask her what is the real reason why it came back. If the hormone is gone, how is it possible to tollerate anything too much going down, ya know? And she never worked out much, only walked a bit, so im sure thats a reason. Do worry, it should go fine for u as long as u work out:)

Does anyone know what the statistics are on the failure rate of RNY v VSG? I'm just curious. I talked to my friend in Indiana last night and she had RNY in October. Her surgeon barely even presented VSG as an option, and certainly talked up the RNY. I have not been to my surgeon yet - I go next Tuesday. All the people that I know personally that have had WLS have had RNY's, but I prefer the VSG - at least according to everything that I have read so far.

Hello Everybody,

70 lbs..

Thanks for reading this.

HC

Wow what a bunch of doom sayers huh? Well i'm out 1 + years and haven't gained anything back matter of fact i'm still losing. . .i eat whatever but in moderation of course as you will have to as well. are you willing to eat in moderation? are you willing to work at it cause it does take work on your part, this is just a tool not a solve all. . . you still have to maintain a "diet" . . . hope this helps. . .good luck

What I always wondered is if that the hormone that causes hunger is removed, then how can someone gain it all back?

Because hunger is not the only thing that makes you eat. People eat because they are bored, lonely, depressed, upset, stressed - and ghrelin has nothing to do with those feelings. That stuff is all in your head. I believe this is partially why we get the psych evaluation...

I am 10 weeks out and I do feel the restriction and it is a major tool. But in all honesty, I for example love nuts - and seriously, there is little to no restriction on nuts and I can easily eat ounce after ounce (with 1 oz. having almost 200 calories). So, if I don't control this, I can easily eat an additional 600 calories - 3 ounces of nuts are not a lot.

You can also drink an almost unlimited amount, so milk shakes, juices, soda and certainly alcohol go into you like you are not sleeved.

Everything is a choice. We all dig food and chose to be overweight.....and we all chose to do something about it. Personally, I would not have gone through this surgery if I weren't sick and tired of my situation. Yes, liquids are pretty endless and stretching the sleeve is still up for debate. I can honestly say I am a recovering emotional eater. The sleeve is a tool for me because it is teaching me control. Your mind controls what you put in your mouth.....and you are responsible for the choices you make. I still see a Therapist that specializes in eating disorders....emotional eating is indeed one. I will continue to see her because like anyone addicted to anything else bad habits can be a b*&ch to break. We are human, and all have our weak points. I don't allow myself to have that much in the sweets department. It's like giving a recovering crack head....crack. The only thing I do allow myself are those 100 calorie packs of those little Cookies if I ever feel the need (1 and that's it). Thing is, I don't feel the need because I haven't had it in so long...my body/brain doesn't feel it "needs" it. Plus, in the beginning I didn't tolerate somethings I probably could now. As I have noticed, everyday with this new tool of mine is a different day. One day I will tolerate a certain kind of food and the next day...not so much. It's all part of re-learning this new life you have decided to give yourself. I don't want to be a prisoner in my own body anymore........I have kicked my mind's ass.....and so will you ;)