Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So lost in regular women's clothing!

I went shopping a couple days ago. My undies that I got at Lane Bryant 14/16 were getting baggy and even though I don't buy a lot of clothes on my way down I do treat myself to good undies. So we went to LB and that's the lowest size they carry. I tried on a pair of 14s and they were [ ] close to fitting. So I will be sized out of LB soon. We went to Target and I was able to shop in regular womens OH THE SELECTION! I'm lost. Really lost. I have found I have no fashion sense. In LB or the plus size section it's what fits, isn't insanly expensive, and doesn't have puffy paint/mirrors on it. That narrows it down to about 3 items and I pick whatever's in black and is slimming. Done. But in regular womens.....my god there are a lot of choices. And I feel so odd, like I shouldn't be there. Like everyone is looking at me just waiting for me to realize I'm in the wrong section of the store. Just to think about going to the mall. Before I could shop at Torrid and department stores plus section (but I didn't) so it was Torrid then leave. Now there are millions of stores. Which am I too old to shop in? Can I buy stuff at Victoria's secret? Do they size you without your bra on. So many questions and wonders.

Oh the joys of being able to just shop again... I sooo can't wait for that day. LoL as for Bra fittings you get a better idea of what style/size bra you need if it's sized with out a bra. Anytime I've been sized I remove my bra put back on my shirt and let the lady do her part on finding me the right size. And no you are never to old to shop victoria secret.. My sister in law is 42 and still shops there. Grant it she has a small small build, but still she shops there, and we will be small soon enough right? I just can't wait to shop clearance. LoL I told my husband there are always wonderful clothes on clearance, but they are always to small, and they NEVER have any 2x-3x shirts that would fit me on clearance. I can't wait for the day I can shop and walk out with a new wardrobe for the same price of 2 new outfits in the plus clothes.. :) I am sooooo lighting up right now with the thought of all the clothes I'm going to buy. I may not have any fashion sence but gosh darn it I have a sister in law that dresses sooooo cute, and can help me along the way to learn what suits me and what doesn't.. Have fun shopping "just don't over do it, your still loosing the weight" and forget what other people my think...

I would deff. go to a regular bra store and get measured. Bali has stores at most outlet malls, etc. They are super nice and really got me in the right size. I look forward to going again in a couple of months and picking out all new ones.

I LOVE SHOPPING! I'm so happy for you!!! Yes, Victoria Secret will measure you will your bra and top on :), they are very helpful...so will Fredricks (that's where I get my bras, on sale...just got some for 75% off $6.49 each YAY).

Do you have a Macy's near you? If so, they do a great, professional job at measuring you.

And believe me, no one is watching you & thinking you are in the wrong store. Of course, when they hear you screaming for joy at the little size you just got into, there may be a few stares or eye rolls. While I was losing, I tried stores like Target, Sears (they have amazing clearance rack prices), and such.

I looked around for people I thought were my size (that's a hard one to figure out, so you may need some help - I never imagined I was as "little" as other people said I was) and looked at what they were wearing. If I liked it, I tried to find simliar items in the store to try on.

In the losing phase, I looked for items that were slightly snug and then wore them until my husband declared they were "Goodwill Bound". I also did a lot of 2 bags to Goodwill and 1 bag out while I was losing. It was fun & I found many items with original tags still on them.

Try not to stress ... enjoy this time. It really is fun once you let yourself enjoy it. B)

Since it was brought up.. I'm dying to ask because I've tried to work this one out in my head FOREVER now. If your boobies are hanging down around your belly, how in the world do they figure out your proper bra size if you're braless? :blink: I'm being completely serious here. I'm afraid I'll never be able to get properly sized for a bra because of.. well... pedulous activity when the girls are set free. Also speaking of bras, after yall are sleeved, how are you managing? I mean, are you buying a bra or 2? A sports bra or 2 that's a bit more forgiving in the way of sizing? When do you even figure it's time for new bras?

By the way, I'm always going to shop in Torrid if anything just for the shoes & jewelry/accessories! I wouldn't worry so much about feeling you're too old to shop in certain stores but I'd judge by the items you're trying on. If you feel comfortable in them than go for it! I say you've earned it. :D

Since it was brought up.. I'm dying to ask because I've tried to work this one out in my head FOREVER now. If your boobies are hanging down around your belly, how in the world do they figure out your proper bra size if you're braless? :blink: I'm being completely serious here. I'm afraid I'll never be able to get properly sized for a bra because of.. well... pedulous activity when the girls are set free. Also speaking of bras, after yall are sleeved, how are you managing? I mean, are you buying a bra or 2? A sports bra or 2 that's a bit more forgiving in the way of sizing? When do you even figure it's time for new bras?

By the way, I'm always going to shop in Torrid if anything just for the shoes & jewelry/accessories! I wouldn't worry so much about feeling you're too old to shop in certain stores but I'd judge by the items you're trying on. If you feel comfortable in them than go for it! I say you've earned it. :D

They will still be able to size you regardless of the shape of your breasts. Take what they give as an approximate anyway. They may give you what is your correct size but bras vary and sometimes you have to experiment within a size range. I still highly recommend getting fitted until you become a bra eficianado and can adjust your size as needed. Even then, getting sized every now and then is a good idea. It's sad how many women are walking around out there in poor fitting bras. I often wonder when was the last time they took a good look at themselves in the mirror. We have to look critically at ourselves every now and then to be sure everything is in it's place. I can't stand to see a woman walking around with a bra that's clearly too small for her breasts. Do they think people can't see that through the clothes? DUH! We can see it! If it looks like there are two little triangles of material in the middle of their breastusses, then they are OUT OF ORDER! :thumbs_down: But, I'm not crude enough to say these things. I just think it and hope that some friend or relative of theirs will break it to them gently one day.

I didn't want to keep buying bras as I shrink but I recognize the importance of a good fitting bra. I am SOOO much more comfortable in the right size and my tops fit like a glove in the right bra. No pulling or tugging, etc.I have found a brand and style that I adore so I keep buying two here and there as I go down and replacing them when they get loose. I think I"m on my third size down since surgery. I make sure to search around and find them on sale at Macy's and Penneys and it hasn't been too bad. I'm currently in love with Vanity Fair's Beautiful Benefits line. As a breast reduction person, I can truly say that it does not feel like an underwire bra. I like to go to JCPenney's to get fitted. Those ladies are serious there...:lol:

I agree with the OP about feeling out of place and overwhelmed in the Misses section. After all, it's been 20 years since I shopped there and I can't even remember it cuz it was so brief. The last few times I've gone to Macy's I felt like I was on overload with all the different sections and choices. It's totally crazy to have that many clothes to choose from. I'm used to dealing with a few racks in the women's section depending on what I'm looking for. But, that said, it's really empowering and fun to be able to have such options. I'm totally going to enjoy the ride. :bolt:

I think I will duck tape mine back in place and the go get sized :blink:

I've been wondering about getting fitted also, wasn't sure how they do it since the only time I was ever "fitted" for a bra was 4 days after giving birth and I was at a fancy maternity store looking for a nursing bra. :huh:

I also took a little field trip into the misses sizes (versus the plus) because in about another 25lbs I will be SHOPPING in that section. It was like being in the promised land. There were fashionable clothing, cute patterns (ever notice how almost ALL the plus size patterns esp. at JCPenny & Kohls are patterns that even your Grandma wouldn't wear?), and I was simply overwhelmed at the SHEER VOLUME OF CHOICES of clothing. Truly. After being stuck in plus sizes for the last 18 years, it was dizzying to see how many choices there are for "regular" size women.

I wrote a blog about this, but I wonder if I'm going to change my fashion sense after (or near) goal or if I will simply buy the same type of clothing, only smaller? I would like to think I might take more risks (colors and patterns) versus the usual, plain simple clothing I'm normally drawn to. I like my clothes and I have been told that I always look "put together" (i.e. I wear costume jewlery, makeup, do my hair nice, etc. on a normal daily basis) but I'm wondering if I will try experimenting with new and different things. I sort of hope so, because that is one of the fun upsides of losing weight is that we can be free to shop in new places and try new things. I'm looking forward to it!

They will still be able to size you regardless of the shape of your breasts. Take what they give as an approximate anyway. They may give you what is your correct size but bras vary and sometimes you have to experiment within a size range. I still highly recommend getting fitted until you become a bra eficianado and can adjust your size as needed. Even then, getting sized every now and then is a good idea. It's sad how many women are walking around out there in poor fitting bras. I often wonder when was the last time they took a good look at themselves in the mirror. We have to look critically at ourselves every now and then to be sure everything is in it's place. I can't stand to see a woman walking around with a bra that's clearly too small for her breasts. Do they think people can't see that through the clothes? DUH! We can see it! If it looks like there are two little triangles of material in the middle of their breastusses, then they are OUT OF ORDER! :thumbs_down: But, I'm not crude enough to say these things. I just think it and hope that some friend or relative of theirs will break it to them gently one day.

Thanks Mary! BTW, I'm one of those people with the quadboob. I don't think I've bothered with the right size bra in a few years now...in fact I've gone to mostly sports bras except for the stray few regular bras. I tell ya what, that's one thing I'm looking forward to. Nice bras that fit again.

BTW Myrori I'm with you on the taping but I think that blue painters tape might be a little friendlier lol.

Oh I'm so glad this subject is being talked about --

Besides the bra issue (which I really can't do much about down here in Paraguay now), I've been looking online for some decent clothes . . .

Here's my dilemma -- I can shop at Old Navy, which is fine and cheap and etc. But I would like to daydream and/or shop at other stores -- I don't know where to even start!

What stores do you all shop in??

I've looked at Ann Taylors (way too expensive), Talbots (the same), but I'm clueless as to what to look for . . . I've always shopped at Lane Bryant or Old Navy. sigh.

And since I'm 46 (almost 47), I don't want to look like a teenie bopper -- young, yes, but something like Forever21 I think would be too young, don't you think??

Please help, because yesterday I cried over this (seems silly when I used to cry over the fact that I couldn't find decent clothes in my bigger size) -- I guess I'm frustrated because I currently have only 2 pairs of pants that I can wear (and they are 2 sizes too big) and 4 shirts. I keep ordering from Old Navy only to find out that I guess wrong and it's too big. (another reason for the tears).

I sooo want to be back in the States so I can shop regularly and figure everything out --

Can anyone give me some good online stores that have cute clothes that are not out of this world expensive (so that I don't throw my money away after losing more??)? Thanks so much!

Oh, and about the bras, I measured myself and am ordering online . . . sigh. Crossing my fingers.

Besides the bra issue (which I really can't do much about down here in Paraguay now), I've been looking online for some decent clothes . . .

Here's my dilemma -- I can shop at Old Navy, which is fine and cheap and etc. But I would like to daydream and/or shop at other stores -- I don't know where to even start!

I've looked at Ann Taylors (way too expensive), Talbots (the same), but I'm clueless as to what to look for . . . I've always shopped at Lane Bryant or Old Navy. sigh.

And since I'm 46 (almost 47), I don't want to look like a teenie bopper -- young, yes, but something like Forever21 I think would be too young, don't you think??

Please help, because yesterday I cried over this (seems silly when I used to cry over the fact that I couldn't find decent clothes in my bigger size) -- I guess I'm frustrated because I currently have only 2 pairs of pants that I can wear (and they are 2 sizes too big) and 4 shirts. I keep ordering from Old Navy only to find out that I guess wrong and it's too big. (another reason for the tears).

I sooo want to be back in the States so I can shop regularly and figure everything out --

Can anyone give me some good online stores that have cute clothes that are not out of this world expensive (so that I don't throw my money away after losing more??)? Thanks so much!

I Know that feeling all to well, it's imposible to get a decent outfit in PY unless you're a size 8 or smaller. My mum took loads of clothes a few months ago that were to big and went to a "costurera" and got them fixed and uses them all the time. She's a size 14-16 and gets frustrated all the time, so buys all her clothes here or in the states, including underwear :(

You are NEVER too old to shop at VS!!! I'm 51 and that's where I buy panties! I like Macy's or Nordstrom's for bras, and they'll both fit you....as will VS!!! Go and enjoy buying something pretty!!! I've never in my life had so much fun shopping. I know that I've had good luck finding bras on the sale rack....get someone to tell you what size, then you can look around!

I went shopping a couple days ago. My undies that I got at Lane Bryant 14/16 were getting baggy and even though I don't buy a lot of clothes on my way down I do treat myself to good undies. So we went to LB and that's the lowest size they carry. I tried on a pair of 14s and they were [ ] close to fitting. So I will be sized out of LB soon. We went to Target and I was able to shop in regular womens OH THE SELECTION! I'm lost. Really lost. I have found I have no fashion sense. In LB or the plus size section it's what fits, isn't insanly expensive, and doesn't have puffy paint/mirrors on it. That narrows it down to about 3 items and I pick whatever's in black and is slimming. Done. But in regular womens.....my god there are a lot of choices. And I feel so odd, like I shouldn't be there. Like everyone is looking at me just waiting for me to realize I'm in the wrong section of the store. Just to think about going to the mall. Before I could shop at Torrid and department stores plus section (but I didn't) so it was Torrid then leave. Now there are millions of stores. Which am I too old to shop in? Can I buy stuff at Victoria's secret? Do they size you without your bra on. So many questions and wonders.

Oh, and about the bras, I measured myself and am ordering online . . . sigh. Crossing my fingers.

Have you tried Kohl's? They have some really cute items & they always seem to have a promotion coupon going (try going to http://www.retailmenot.com/view/kohls.com if you need one) ... I found in Croft and Barrow and Sonoma brands that I normally need to go down 1 size on their items. I also wear a petite pant from there even though I'm 5'6". For their other brands, I find that they run true to size.

As for bras, mine are so deflated, that I definitely need a push up to give the appearance of the girls. I found these at Kohls. While my husband accuses me of "false advertising", he definitely likes the effect! :)http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/intimates/bras/shopbybrand/lilyoffrance/PRD~612013/Lily+of+France+Striped+Convertible+Personalized+PushUp+Bra.jsp

Best of luck ... enjoy this time!

Hi there----as a former Talbots employee, I say watch their sales and specials. Ask me questions and I'll try to help you. I wouldn't invest in their very expensive things until your weight is where it's going to be forever! I'd hit Target for simple things and try these places for ordering:

shopnational.com and look for deals and also SoftSurroundings.com They have great sales! Good luck! I'll get my sleeve in a couple of months.