Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You don't need to lose weight...

I am watching a recorded show of "The Talk." They are discussing the color of your clothing and what it says about you. They said that black means you are depressed, lazy, unimaginative, etc. Sharon Osborne, who was wearing black and always wears black on the show, took issue with it. She said she wears black because she is over weight and black hides it well. Julie Chan, who I love, says....you are not overweight, you look fabulous. That erks me!

I had three girlfriends over a couple of days ago. One of them got a Lap-Band a year and half ago and has lost 60 lbs. The other two friends, who are hugely supportive of my upcoming BIG DAY, were asking questions because they are still trying to grap their head around weight loss surgery. She shared that she has lost 60 lbs. They were so happy for her. I asked her how much more she needs to loss. When she said that she would like to lose 50 more one of my friends gasped and assured her that she looks goods. That erks me!

I was sharing my upcoming BIG DAY with a co-worker. She was very supportive of my decision, but was surprised. She kept going on about how good I looked. I told her I had between 150 and 130 pounds to lose. She insistent, in a very sweet way, that I carry it well. That erks me!

Being at a healthy weight doesn't have anything to do with looking good. If you are overweight, your health is compromised.

Just sayin'.

Totally agree -- I think a lot of people are used to seeing overweight and/or obese people and therefore think that it's normal and therefore think normal is "healthy." We know it's not.

I've read that many people when they get within 20 pounds of their goal weight have people tell them not to lose anymore -- probably because others are not used to seeing them so small. I'm sure it will happen to a lot of us too.

So, totally agree with you -- I think that lots of people just want to be "supportive" and not be critical. Saying someone is overweight or obese is kinda the ultimate putdown now -- so saying you're not is like being overly politically correct. . . sigh.

You friends are just a bit afraid for you. Maybe comparing themselves to you too. Looking good at *this* weight and having healthy knees and blood sugar in 15 years are two different things!!

But, hey accept their words, yes, (even though you may *need* to lose weight), you look good! Say why yes, I do! (But I'm still getting WLS!)

I hear that all the time, you look good, but...I do need to lose over 100 pounds to not be BMI overweight anymore. (I'm in pre-approval stage now for Band or evil Sleeve). And I am creative and wear black (it's clean, it is slimming-although strangely white is too). Think of fashion designers and hair stylists, they are always covered in Black!

I am watching a recorded show of "The Talk." They are discussing the color of your clothing and what it says about you. They said that black means you are depressed, lazy, unimaginative, etc. Sharon Osborne, who was wearing black and always wears black on the show, took issue with it. She said she wears black because she is over weight and black hides it well. Julie Chan, who I love, says....you are not overweight, you look fabulous. That erks me!

I had three girlfriends over a couple of days ago. One of them got a Lap-Band a year and half ago and has lost 60 lbs. The other two friends, who are hugely supportive of my upcoming BIG DAY, were asking questions because they are still trying to grap their head around weight loss surgery. She shared that she has lost 60 lbs. They were so happy for her. I asked her how much more she needs to loss. When she said that she would like to lose 50 more one of my friends gasped and assured her that she looks goods. That erks me!

I was sharing my upcoming BIG DAY with a co-worker. She was very supportive of my decision, but was surprised. She kept going on about how good I looked. I told her I had between 150 and 130 pounds to lose. She insistent, in a very sweet way, that I carry it well. That erks me!

Being at a healthy weight doesn't have anything to do with looking good. If you are overweight, your health is compromised.

Just sayin'.

aren't people absolutely amazing! I mean really. . . . i remember last year before my surgery my highest weight was 350lbs I was wearing 4XL uniforms and snuggly 28/32 . . . i couldn't do very much of anything and in the dead of winter was the only dumb a$$ using a fan to keep the sweat from forming from my "little" brow. . . ugh. . . . .after i got the surgery and started losing weight people at my work did this " why did you do it? you didn't look that big" "you didn't look fat too me, your just a big girl" "I would never do that, it's too drastic, you weren't even that big" ERRRRRRR now that really pi$$ed me off in the biggest (excuse the pun) way. . . now that i've lost 145 + lbs those folks who said those things don't even talk to me anymore and it seems to me that they found the 145 + lbs I've lost . . . pretty sad to say. . . overall people irk me too especially THOSE kind of people. . .good luck your going to do great and your going to look and feel great too!

Oh and PS I love the color black, that is my favorite color and has nothing to do with my weight, that i'm lazy or anything, has everything to do with what I like as an individual . . . good lord are they trying to take away our autonomy as well ???

Just sayin'.

I really get where you are coming from here... As much as people are trying to be kind and supportive, it is still a tad bit stupid telling someone they look good for the 'sake' of it!

At just over 6mths out, I am not even half way, very close, but not quite there... anyways, in work I continue to get lovely comments about how good I look and how healthy I look... Nice!

I was speaking to a friend, who is really skinny; tiny, tiny, tiny lady who is also lovely... She commented on me weight loss, calling me the amazing shrinking lady and we both chuckled; I told her that I am frustrated 'cos I haven't hit my half way goal and she said 'Bloody hell Coops, you can't lose another 3+ stone, 'cos you'll have a skinny little body and a massive head!'

Well that was a lesson in itself... yea, I can lose it cos there is fat to lose... so the moral of the story... just take the compliment and don't discuss where in the weight loss process I am!!

..... a massive head!'

Oh my gosh! That is funny, stupid and such a silly thing to say all at the same time!

She really didn't know how to make much sense of her feelings and thoughts very well did she?

I think you need to make a card for her with a giant head collaged onto a skinny body...then write on it:

"After beautiful Coops lost her amazing amount of weight, she got a REALLY big head bout it. From then on, no one that saw her would dare and lose an ounce for fear of developing massive head syndrome"

Send it on over to her for a laugh.

I'm sorry, I'm just as silly as her, bur Really!

Oh my gosh! That is funny, stupid and such a silly thing to say all at the same time!

She really didn't know how to make much sense of her feelings and thoughts very well did she?

I think you need to make a card for her with a giant head collaged onto a skinny body...then write on it:

"After beautiful Coops lost her amazing amount of weight, she got a REALLY big head bout it. From then on, no one that saw her would dare and lose an ounce for fear of developing massive head syndrome"

When I previously lost a good 60 lbs on Medifast (all of it + another 40 or so came back ) I had updated my myspace saying how excited I was that I lost more weight! One of my friends told me "you know...everyone is really happy for you that you are losing weight, but you don't need to put it in our faces like that." I found it a coincidence that comment came at a point when I had gotten to a smaller size than her.

Nobody likes to be the fatter friend and they hate it even more when they suddenly become the fatter friend.

Her and I are actually not friends anymore...shockingly i know. But i have still been hush hush about getting the GPS because I know a few friends will have LOTS to say about it...or naysay rather

Feedyoureye.... that is HYSTERICAL... I am literally giggling like a child here... I love that idea... I might just do that only with a lolly and my head..... IMAGINE!! She is lovely, and I think she would find it funny...

I am glas we are on the same page...lol xx

Feedyoureye.... that is HYSTERICAL... I am literally giggling like a child here... I love that idea... I might just do that only with a lolly and my head..... IMAGINE!! She is lovely, and I think she would find it funny...

I am glas we are on the same page...lol xx

She sounds like a good pal, do it! It will be a fun art project too....

Feed love the idea!! Coops, you tacked on to it and hit the nail on the head (pun intended?) You ladies crack me up!!! :lol:

No escape... I noticed my FB page would get eerily quiet when I would talk about WL and all that so I started up a page specifically for it. That way I can tell all those that give a rats behind and all those that don't won't need to hear it.

No sweat - I can have the best of all worlds!

Another pet peeve on a similar note - when you lose a bunch of weight and everybody who first said "you don't need to lose any weight!" starts saying how great you look. Or, even better, back-handed compliments - I remember one time back in the days I lost 30 lbs and my coach said "Wow, you are actually starting to look like a woman!"

URGH.

Another pet peeve on a similar note - when you lose a bunch of weight and everybody who first said "you don't need to lose any weight!" starts saying how great you look. Or, even better, back-handed compliments - I remember one time back in the days I lost 30 lbs and my coach said "Wow, you are actually starting to look like a woman!"

URGH.

:jaw:

Regarding "healthy" and being overweight/obese....Those numbers which have been used to determine what is and is not a "healthy" weight come from insurance companies. Over the last 50 years, the average "ideal" weight ranges for women have decreased, while the ideal for men has slightly increased. What's wrong with this picture? It is because it has more to do with money and cultural perception, rather than actual health. Now, that's not to say that there are not more accurate determinants of healthy weight ranges (the military actually has better ranges). As always, there is variation from person to person because of body shape, build, muscle, etc. What is overweight for those insurance company created scales is in all likelihood healthy. I, at 5'9 with a rather larger frame and being muscular, should NOT weight 145 pounds, which is what those scales say is at the low-mid range. I went to mvm.com and did a little model of myself at various weights and 145 looked terrifying! Skin and bones! Uggg. I'm totally happy with a goal of 174 which is in the "overweight" range for me. Frak them.

My best friend has been completely supportive of me having WLS. I moved out to Ohio for grad school and she lives back home in Washington state. She is going to fly down to join me when I have surgery in Mexico. She is super skinny and always has been. Her size is perfect for her frame and activity level, etc.

As far as people having a problem with it, I agree, this is quite likely to happen. People hate change almost as much as cats do. Don't move that sofa into the next room and don't you dare loose a ton of weight. Especially if the other person has also struggled with weight issues, it can almost seem like a slap in the face that you are losing. You become a different person to them, physically as well as emotionally. Whether or not you perceive this change, they do. Even if you really are "the same person" just half of that person now, it can still be a huge deal.

I like having curves and I have no plans on losing my curviness, but I want to be a healthy weight, etc, etc, etc. In all honesty, I just wanna look a hell of a lot sexier naked than I do now. :)