Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interested in Lap Band, but surgeon recommended RNY over LapBand

;) Hello, everyone. Hope I posted this correctly. Just joined LapBandTalk today. However, I've been browsing posts for a week or so. I haven't been banded yet, but have gone to the required conference and had my initial meeting with the surgeon. I weight 296 lbs and am 5'6". When I told the surgeon I wanted a lap band, he told me I was a better candidate for the RNY. He didn't think I'd be happy with the results that I'd get with the lap band. Have any of you been told this too? I'm middle age and have a goal weight of 145-150 (seems a reasonable weight to me). Is lap band intervention for people with less weight to lose? How about your experience with weight regain? Is it more for Lap Banders than RNY'ers?

Hi Debi

I am scheduled for July. My surgeon told me if grazing was my problem, the lapband is not a good choice. However, he thought lapband would be perfect for me. I'm not a sweet eater, I love love good food. Pasta, rich foods, etc. If my surgeon recommended RNY, I would not have done that. To me, that is an extreme surgery. Re-routing your intestines and changing the anatomy of the abdomen is major. Don't get me wrong, I have friends who are thrilled with the results of RNY. This is my personal feeling about RNY. The risks are much greater than the risks with lapband. I am 213 pounds and 5'4. To be at a healthy weight, my doctor said I needed to lose 60 - 65 lbs. Of course, my goal is to lose 85lbs.

My surgeon thought lapband was the way to go for me. I didn't have to lose 100 pounds +. Also, studies have proven - people who have had RNY vs. Lapband lose quicker, however, after two years the results are about the same.

Think strongly about this and research research research. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do.

Em

Thanks, Em. 100+ pounds is a scary number -- a little overwhelming. Makes me want to cry sometimes. I guess the RNY has appeal because of the speedier weight loss. I'm looking to do WLS so I can have quality of life. Losing weight won't help me if I end up being sick all the time, which can happen. My sister has a friend who has been nauseous everyday of her life since she had her bypass 4 years ago. She says that if she had known then what she knows now, she'd rather be fat. Really gives me something to think about.

Hi Debi,

I think doctors have preferences, just like patients and insurance carriers do. But this is a decision that ONLY YOU can and should be making for yourself. Put everyone else's experiences and biases aside--they do not matter for this, your first step.

Think about your eating habits and your relationship to food. Weight loss will occur with either surgery as long as you make the required lifestyle changes, but they work in very different ways.

Banding keeps you from eating too much at one sitting--you will have to learn to live with that and you will have some time to do so. The adjustability of the restriction allows you to go at your own pace, and there is a significant learning curve involved.

RNY keeps you from eating too much AND keeps you from absorbing much of the nutrition in what you do eat. You will have to adjust to the changes immediately, and compensate for the decreased nutrient absorption for the rest of your life. Not everyone with RNY is nauseous all the time, but there is indeed a significantly higher risk of complications.

Think about your eating habits now and whether you will be able to manage eating less. There are a million ways to look at it, but only you can examine your personal behaviors and preferences to see how they fit in to the big picture. Keep asking questions, and good luck!

I'm with em1125, I wouldn't reroute my stomach and intestines for weight loss. Too many complications and a much higher mortality rate than with the lap band. I have a friend who has had RNY and while she tolerated the surgery and recovered well - she lost about 90 pounds - in the past 4 months she's put 40 pounds back on. That's almost half of the total weight she lost. Who knows when the weight gain will stop. She's rearranged her insides and she's back in the obese category. At least with my lapband, if I regain my weight I won't have messed with my insides and have to deal with malabsorption of nutrients, etc. FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Talk to another surgeon. In fact, talk to several surgeons. Get a wide range of experience and opinion before you make your decision. It seems like a lot of work but, honestly, do people buy the first car on the lot they look at? Or do they look around a bit first and make sure it's the car they really want? This is your body - you only get the one. Make sure you do what's best for it.

Thanks to all of you for your answers. I really would prefer the lapband and was so disappointed when the surgeon told me he would prefer to see me with an RNY. I found your answers helped to reinforce my reasons for wanting the lapband in the first place. I had told the surgeon that I wasn't really too happy about reinventing the wheel. My thinking is that God had a pretty clear idea on how he wanted the anatomy to operate. I don't know that deliberately going in and rearranging His handiwork will end well. Anyway, I'm glad I joined the forum. You can read and read about a topic, but as in most things, you get more insight and clarity from talking to people who have walked the road before you.

debi717

I am 53, a natural grazer I was banded 3 years ago,(310) and have lost between 90 and 100lbs. I still need to lose about another 60 lbs. I have found that as long as I don't keep munchie foods around and especially not by my seat in the living room, just because the amount your can eat at one time is less, you can defeat the purpose by having munchies too handy.

So I guess what I am saying is that if you can look at the band as a tool and not an cure, and are willing to make the changes that you need to you will probably do ok

The band is not as fast as bypass so you will have to be patient.

The bottom line is only you can decide what is best for you.

Good luck

Jan

debi717 Good Luck in your weight loss journey and no matter what surgery you have I wish you the best... but for me for all the reasons others have all ready given... I went with lapband and 100 pounds lost later I'm glad I did!!

My surgeon recommended GB over LB as well, but I chose LB. My impression was that because GB has much faster and dramatic results than LB, his patients were more ecstatic about the GB successes. He said often LB patients get discouraged because the loss is slower and it takes longer for the loss to start (usually it starts kicking in after a few fills).

That being said, I was THRILLED when I heard about LB because GB always freaked me out. And I am just 4 months out of my LB surgery and THRILLED with the results. It is such a pleasure to be physically limited to the point that you just cannot overeat. I couldn't be happier.

You know Debi, if you have the lap band, and by some sick twist of fate, ended up like your sister's friend, at least you would have options. You would not have to be sick every day of your life. It is removable, and all of your intestines are intact. I can't say I would never consider RNY if something were to happen to my band, but I feel so much safer this way. My health has improved drastically, no more metformin, no more BP drugs...I am loving it!! I too would recommend looking around at other surgeons, going to see them, or at least attend their seminars. Find someone as open minded as yourself! Best of luck to you!!!

Kat

This is so encouraging and I am going to attend some conferences given by other surgeons. I'm certainly more valuable than a car and I absolutely should take the time to shop around. Thanks!

Hello,

The lap band can be just as effective as RNY, I started at 326 back in September of last year and now I am currently at 233 today. My doctor gave me an orientation on each procedure, and laid the TRUE FACTS down for each procedure and how they work. I was tempted at first to get RNY with the quick rapid weight loss, but as started to see a lot of folks who got this procedure and how they live daily, especially the ones who dump, they have to monitor daily food ingredients to make sure they don't get sick, and this is not ONLY SWEETS, but your every day carbs....I wanted my life to be as normal as possble without ANY sickness and potential long term debilitating health problems when I get older, SO, I decided on the band and I am very pleased with my results so far.....:)

Wow, NaNa, 93 is an impressive number. Thank you for the encouragement and congratulations on your success.

Debi ~ My surgeon tended to encourage RNY over lapband as well b/c a lot of patients fail to follow the rules. It's a matter of having a clear understanding of what it takes to work the band and be willing to make the changes. The way I made the decision was coming to grips with the fact that no matter what WLS I chose, I still had to make changes in the way I ate and the way I viewed food. People fail at RNY and lapband b/c they fail to make changes and make those changes permanent. It takes work either way. For me personally, I liked the fact that I could have a tool, the lapband, to help me make those changes with minimal surgery that could be totally reversed with little complications if necessary. I am the mother of 2 small children and want more someday.....the less risk the better.

Like others have already said, it is a personal decision you have to make. This site is VERY pro-band for obvious reasons. It does work if you are willing to make the changes. It is up to you to do the research and ask LOTS of questions. I got down on my knees and prayed. I had no reservation this was for me and had total peace with my decision. I will pray for the Lord to guide your steps in making such a huge life-changing decision. I wish you the very best. Keep in touch and let us know what you decide. You are always welcome here regardless of what surgery you choose.