Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

NO SLEEVE FOR ME!!!! : (

Greetings,

Today I went to my PCP to follow up on my EGD results (gallstones/h pylori/Gerd).

When I first started researching WLS I started with the band and quickly realized that was not for me. I quickly got intrigued with the Sleeve and started reading everything I could about it.

The doctor (also a surgeon) told me today that my stomach issues and Gerd would get worse with the sleeve. He said the RNY would be the better operation for me.

I visually think of Star Jones and Carnie Wilson when I think of the RNY. I am at 40% bmi so yeah I am fat---I guess I thought RNY was better for the bigger folks.

I'm all confused now. If RNY was your only choice would you choose that surgery? I have heard so many negatives and this is really making me rethink surgery period.

I too had GERD before surgery. But, now that I am on an acid reducer, all is well. I would seriously get another opinion as GERD, and gall stones can all be near resolved with the sleeve. It is possible that they may remove your gallbadder as well. Thats was the case with me. Anyhoo, I think the doctor just offers his expert opinion. You have the ultimate decision. Do a little more research before you decide. Best of luck to you!

Greetings,

Today I went to my PCP to follow up on my EGD results (gallstones/h pylori/Gerd).

When I first started researching WLS I started with the band and quickly realized that was not for me. I quickly got intrigued with the Sleeve and started reading everything I could about it.

The doctor (also a surgeon) told me today that my stomach issues and Gerd would get worse with the sleeve. He said the RNY would be the better operation for me.

I visually think of Star Jones and Carnie Wilson when I think of the RNY. I am at 40% bmi so yeah I am fat---I guess I thought RNY was better for the bigger folks.

I'm all confused now. If RNY was your only choice would you choose that surgery? I have heard so many negatives and this is really making me rethink surgery period.

Truth be told, if it were my only option, yeah I wanted to loose weight bad enough I would have went for it.

I would seriously get a second opinion. I had GERD bad and I mean bad. I would throw up in my sleep and I was on 2 different kinds of stomach medicine for it. Now I'm 8 weeks out from the surgery and I'm fine as long as I take my PPI.

I would seriously get a second opinion. I had GERD bad and I mean bad. I would throw up in my sleep and I was on 2 different kinds of stomach medicine for it. Now I'm 8 weeks out from the surgery and I'm fine as long as I take my PPI.

Same here for me! I haven't felt heartburn once since surgery but I do get a "sour" stomach when I wake up if I don't take my PPI at night!

I wouldn't have had any other surgery but the sleeve. After researching it so much and reading the stories and actual personal experinces that people post on here. I've heard of people who have GERD get the sleeve done and as long you find a PPI that will work for you. My Suregon said in the seminar that most people will have heartburn for about a year after surgery. I'm 7 weeks out and have only had it once and that was because I forgot to take my PPI.

And Ive seen many people regain weight with RNY because they are still hungry, with the sleeve for the most part we are never hungry.

I'd check around for another DR who would do it. I know mine in Dayton OH would. So if you don't live that far, msg me and Ill give you his details.

Kelli

Definitely get a second opinion, because if you are already doubting the person you would trust with your life, then you should look for someone else. But, gallstones don't actually resolve with the sleeve. In fact, they can get worse. Rapid weight loss, whether it be sleeve, band or RNY, can actually lead to the formation of gallstones and many patients take Actigall, or something similar, to prevent the formation of gallstones following weight loss surgery. Some insurance companies do allow for a prophylactic gallbladder removal at the time of WLS for this very reason.

My acid reflux did get worse right after surgery, but is all but resolved now.

I did consider RNY first. My insurance did not allow for the sleeve at the time and I knew the band would not be right for me. I was ready for bypass...right up until BCBS made the sleeve available. I will say this, every surgery has its risks and every surgery has a margin for failure to achieve and sustain weight loss. How well you do is up to you. You can minimize the risks by following your doctor's guidelines. You can maximize the surgery's success by following your doctor's guidelines.

That said, I dearly love my sleeve, but if that option had not become available at the 11th hour, I would be posting on the RNY boards right now.

Best of luck to you!

Greetings,

Oh, I just wanted to add I am getting the GB surgery within the next month or so.

My PCP is a surgeon (but he is not doing the WLS), he works with Gastro issues and since I have H Pylori (I'm on meds for it), GERD and a Hiatal Hernia he thinks the RNY would be better.

I appreciate all your opinions.

I will be visiting the WL surgeon next week and I will see what she has to say.

I have told several people that if VSG would not have been able to happen for my revision, I would have had my band removed and stayed fat. God's to honest truth.

I would not have bypass if someone paid me. I have too many friends in real life that have complications with bypass long term, and I'm not talking minor complications. I'm talking bowel obstructions, major strictures, stoma erosion, pouch dilation etc etc. I won't mention regain because you know that stat, and I'm sure you know about vitamin/nutrient deficiencies.

I hope everything goes well with your surgery, and consults.

UPDATE!!!!!

Today I went to see the surgeon and she asked me which surgery I was interested in. I told her the sleeve because besides the GERD that I have (I have no symptoms at all) and the knee and hip pain I am a healthy person and I don't want to risk the malnutrition and Vitamin deficiency making me worse.

I was armed with artticles, printouts and was basically ready to give a masters level lecture to defend my right to get a sleeve.

She looks at me and says "I think the sleeve would be an excellent choice for you!" WHO HOOOOO!!!!!! Now I have to make sure my PCP is on board with my choice since he was pushing more for the RNY. I really thought long and hard about it and after reading and reading about the complications of the RNY, I never felt like that surgery was the right one for me.

I still have a ways to go ---have to get that 6 month diet out the way but I feel so much better!. She is also going to remove my gallbladder at the time of the surgery.(I have 2 large stones)

Let your PCP know that the bariatric surgeon is agreeing that the sleeve is a better choice for you. Hopefully he will be supportive otherwise let him know that if he can't be supportive and work with your surgeon then you may have to find another PCP who is supportive. I know that if my PCP was not going to be supportive in my surgery, I would have definately changed to another office.

I agree, get a second and maybe a third if you have to. This is your life.

Greetings,

My doc knew nothing of the sleeve. I told her all that I knew and she said definitely better than RNY. Interesting enough, when I went to the surgeon here, they wanted to do RNY. The sleeve was mentioned but not really elaborated on. I called another doc out of state bc his prices were much lower and that's when I was informed of the sleeve. I was no longer afraid of the surgery. I was still very hesitant on the RNY bc of all the craziness that can happen afterwards. It was like a HUGE burden was lifted and now I'm really happy with my choice. My surgery is next Thursday. I just want it to be over so I can quit thinking about it!!

It seems based on my personal experience and other posts that I have read, that since doctors are more familiar with RNY and LapBand, that is what they recommend.

I felt my PCP, was going to be against supporting my desire for WLS, since every time before she only recommended Weight Watchers. She finally agreed and referred me to a bariatric program, but specifically recommended the Band. No way was I getting the Band! I didn't tell her this, but continued with my research of all WLS options.

Bottom line, it is our bodies, and we get to decide what is best, based on an educated and informed medical opinion from doctors. In other words, I would get a few surgeon opinions, before deciding. Then just tell your PCP what your chosen surgeon and you have decided.

Let us know how it works out for you...I also have bad GERD and chronic gastritis, and am waiting to talk to surgeons.