Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow, and I am still struggling to get my Protein in.. I have bought samples after samples but nothings working.. I even attempted one of the protein bullets "55g in a 4.33 oz bottle" It was like drinking metal the taste and smell was horrible. I have tried mixing it with Water, but some of it says not to mix with water. So I bought the lactose free milk to mix it with and it froths so bad I can't get past the air bubbles. What am I going to do? I try to find mushies that have 5 or more grams of protein a serving and make that my focus for the day, but it doesn't seem like it's enough.. Doing it that way I am only getting in maybe 15-20g instead of the recommended 50-60g.. I started back on chopped meats today so that will help a little, but geeze it doesn't have enough to give my body what it needs. I am looking for any advice on what to do to get more protein in me.. I wish there was a pill that would give me all my needed protein for the day LoL

I think that Protein intake this early is not very important, wait till you are a few months out and lost some weight to start to address it. It's hard to get enough of ANYTHING this early in the game.

We both had surgery the same day. I have been eating Kroger Brand carb master vanilla yogurt. 1 of those is 12g protien. It takes me around an hour to complete 3/4 of it. But on top of that, I try to drink 1 20oz bottle of the RTD Isopure drinks that I got from GNC. They are tolerable. 1 bottle has 40 g protien. So between that and the yogurt, I end up getting 52 g per day. Now Fluid consumption...thats another story. Im only getting around 32 oz a day. Always room for improvement I guess.

FYI:

GNC has the Isopure RTD bottles on sale right now until 2/24/11 for BOGO 50% off. They are normally $4.99 a bottle.

Hope this helps..

I agree with rootman... at your stage, I focused on getting enough liquid and didn't worry about the Protein side of things...When you are on pureed food you can start to get more protein in.

Chilo recommended putting Protein Powder in Decaf coffee; I've used the plain and vanilla flavour and it tastes like a lattee... nice!

Concentrate on healing and liquids; get plenty of rest that your body needs. You'll be fine! =]

I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow, and I am still struggling to get my Protein in.. I have bought samples after samples but nothings working.. I even attempted one of the protein bullets "55g in a 4.33 oz bottle" It was like drinking metal the taste and smell was horrible. I have tried mixing it with Water, but some of it says not to mix with water. So I bought the lactose free milk to mix it with and it froths so bad I can't get past the air bubbles. What am I going to do? I try to find mushies that have 5 or more grams of protein a serving and make that my focus for the day, but it doesn't seem like it's enough.. Doing it that way I am only getting in maybe 15-20g instead of the recommended 50-60g.. I started back on chopped meats today so that will help a little, but geeze it doesn't have enough to give my body what it needs. I am looking for any advice on what to do to get more protein in me.. I wish there was a pill that would give me all my needed protein for the day LoL

IIRC, it would take you more than a month for hypoproteinemia (low protein) to significantly harm you. Although you don't want to go with too little protein for too long, at this stage of the game you're still living primarily on fat stores! So take your time to find a protein concoction that you LIKE (or at least, can tolerate), and don't stress out too much. The most important things at this stage for you are doing *everything* the doctor orders, trying to move as much as you safely can, and drinking lots of water. That, and rest!

Try nectar protien shakes. Peach is a great starting point. It's nice and clean, and will give you the protien you need. True that getting in your liquids is important, but with the right shake, you can accomplish both. The protien will also speed your healing. Also, when you're permitted soft foods, greek yogurt is a great way to boost protien.

i mixed some stage 1 baby food meat with broth. 2 oz broth, 2 oz baby food, added a little salt and garlic powder for taste. I think it was 9 g of protein for 2 oz of baby food.

I also like the Twisted cherry nectar brand. I like the cytomax protein bottles better than Isopure. The tangerine cytomax tasted like tang to me.

I was at the store today and I came across some flavors of Naked juice with added protein. They each have about 30ish grams, both soy and whey Proteins. I know some drs dont approve of too much juice, but if it helps you get the protein in it might be worth it. There are also Vitamins and lots of other good stuff in Naked Juice, and its so good :)

Thanks guys for the responses!! I have been on mushies since I came home from the hospital.. I started back on my chopped meats yesterday so that will give me a bit of Protein that I need..

I also found an unflavored protein powder last night at the grocery store! It has 20g of protein a serving and was only $13 for the jar of powder! I am worried about the protein more because the doctor told me to focus on my protein intake and to make sure I get plenty of liquids.. "Always do what the doctor tells you" is what I tell myself..

I have healed so far wonderfully no pain anywhere. Just the occasional air bubbles I get in my chest/stomach if I swollow to fast. I had some tuna salad for dinner last night and ate to much.. I only had 1 tbsp, and it was to much. My husband can't get over the changes my body is already going through. LoL Anyway thanks again for the response hopefully I will be able to find what works for me soon!!

I am 5 weeks out and actually found it easier to get my Protein in during my Mushies phase, because I was drinking a couple of Protein shakes a day. Now I have to pay more attentiion, and I've missed my "40 grams" mark now several days.

I tried Protein Bars, but they all taste like sawdust, and I am thiking of making my OWN, using unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury power. Anybody try making their own Protein Bars yet???

Also mixing yogurt and throwing in a raw egg into one smoothie really bumps up the Protein to like 30 grams per shake...

Good luck with it!!

Cinderella