Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All. I am finally getting sleeved on Tuesday (1/4). I can't wait, but i'm not sure what to expect surgically. I've had a scheduled c-section before, but never anything where I am under general anesthesia. Once I check in at the hospital, outside of signing a ton of forms and getting an IV what else can I expect? I'm looking to my post-op friends for a summary of what will happen from check in to surgery time. Thanks! I can't wait to join you all on the losers bench.

You'll probably have some hanging around pre-op, so a magazine would be good. They snuck in my anaesthetic so I didn't even know I was going under (normally I like telling the anaesthetist it's not working! wink.gif). I was really really sleepy after my surgery and barely got out of bed the day of my op and just slept.

I didn't really read much while I was in hospital as I was either walking up and down the corridor with my drip or relaxing/dozing in bed.

BTW take some lip balm with you, clean underwear, toiletries, slippers and a dressing gown.

All the best! rolleyes.gif

Congratulations on your upcoming VSG surgery. If you go to the main home page here and scroll down to find General Sleeve Discussions - there is a thread posted for The OFFICIAL What you will need for your surgery thread! Hope this helps you out also.

Sending happy thoughts your way along with a hug. No regrets.

I think everyone's experience is different but mine went like this:

check in to pre-op, fill out forms, meet with bariatric lady from the hospital

get in gown and wait a LONG time bc surgeon was running late. I got my IV about an hour or 2 before surgery.

About 10 mins before surgery both the PA of the surgeon, the anasthesiologist, and RN operating room manager guy came out to say hello. I got up and peed as instructed, and had to walk the 2 minutes to the OR all by myself and climb on the table all by myself (SCARY!!!). Then in 2 mins I was out and I remember waking in recovery and the 2 nurses were kind of goobs, I can't remember what they were discussing but it was silly.

Then I went to my room and learned the joy of the morphine pump : )

My experience was somewhat rare as I didn't have a catheter, or drains, or anything like that which I am extremely grateful for!

Hi, I was sleeved on Dec. 29. I had an early surgery time of 7:15 am, with check in at 5:15am. Yeah. I was tired, but grateful to be first. I spent about a half hour in the waiting room, then was brought back to a prep room. Undressed and gowned, peed in a cup for the pregnancy test, got my IV placed, and was given some meds for stomach acid. I waited there for about 45 minutes then was wheeled to preop holding. I was there for about another 45 minutes, where I talked with the anesthesiologist and surgeon. Given some more meds for my stomach and anxiety.

Once wheeled to the O.R., I had to slide myself to the operating table, and then as soon as I laid down, they strapped my arms down and placed to anesthesia on almost immediately. After what seemed 5 minutes, I wake up in recovery.

I don't remember too much pain. I had knee surgery 18 months ago and the pain waking up was way worse then this time around. I was moaning a bit, but pain was well managed. I remember hitting the pump button almost non stop and the nurses telling me it didn't matter how many times I hit it, I would only get something once ever 6 mins. I told them I didn't have a stop watch and I wasn't watching the clock so I am just going to keep hitting it.

As soon as I was alert enough, I was taking up stairs and given more happy injections as well as that button firmly in my hand. I slept most of the first day. I was up almost all night. I stayed two days in the hospital. After the first 24 hours or so, I was taken off the Dilaudid pump and was given Lortab elixer and toradol injection. Today, being 5 days out, I have started to wean off the Lortab elixer and I even did some very, very light housework. I feel a hundred times better then Wednesday.

One thing that hit me was how well I did feel after the surgery. I was amazed that I was walking around so soon after and that my hunger was instantly gone. 24 hours before, I was about to physically hurt my husband for cooking a grilled cheese for our son and letting the smell into the bedroom where I was hiding from food.

The one incision site that hurt the most was over my belly button. They suture that one internally and so the suture pulls when you stand up or sit down. If you cough, sneeze, dry heave,ect..., press a pillow into your abdomen. It helps brace the muscles and incisions. 5 days out, most of that uncomfortable feeling from that site is gone for me.

I don't know if you will read this before you go in since your procedure is tomorrow, but good luck. All will be fine. I am doing well and am pleased already with the results. I measure every thing out so I don;t over do it. I actually eat out of measuring cups right now, so I can concentrated on proper portion sizes. It really helps. What stunk about the hospital was that they didn't portion out the food for bariatric pts. They were normal portions and I over did it in the hospital. Once I came home and used the measuring cups, I am doing much better. Mylicon drops or gasx strips have also been a life saver for me. Gas happens and is super uncomfortable. Buy some.

Again GL.