Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some advice and someone to keep me in line...I am exactly 1 week post-op and doing fine. HOWEVER...I hate liquids. I can't stand doing the liquid thing anymore. I advanced my diet to the THICK LIQUID stage myself in order to satisfy my mind. I ate some grits today...it was a pleasant change. The problem is...I bought some hard candy to suck on and crunch up to help me through this stage. I did not buy sugar-free...because I know it can cause a lot of gas and I don't need that. Am I really cheating or is the hard candy really gonna matter that much? I am really struggling right now cause I want to eat. I continue to lose weight. I have lost almost 40lbs since my pre-op diet and about 15 since surgery. Please let me know what ya'll think. THANKS!!!

I would think the hard candy or gum would be BAD idea bc what if you momentarily forget and it breaks and you swallow it? That is why I didn't chew gum, which I wanted to do also.

I did have oatmeal and it was nice. You can make it sort of thinish. It has a little chew to it.

I think you would regret doing anything that might imped your weight loss. I hated liquids a lot. After 4 weeks (2 weeks post op also) I thought I was going to just perish from not putting solids in my mouth. Things do get better, I promise. Right now you need to focus on healing properly which is following your NUT post op diet. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck!

Have you tried SF Popsicles? I can kind of chew on those which seems to make me happy. Altough I did not know that the sugar free would cause gas? That could explain a lot!

Yeah I have been eating SF popsicles like they were the last known thing on earth. I guess I will stop with the candy...I am feeling very bad about it...like I'm cheating. I just want to be eating normal...but patience is a virtue...and good things come to those who wait!!! Thanks for the advice...and support. I NEED IT!!!

Yeah I have been eating SF popsicles like they were the last known thing on earth. I guess I will stop with the candy...I am feeling very bad about it...like I'm cheating. I just want to be eating normal...but patience is a virtue...and good things come to those who wait!!! Thanks for the advice...and support. I NEED IT!!!

I think the thing that keeps me on the right track is knowing that if I eat something I am not supposed to, I can develop a leak. I guess so far the fear has been enough to keep me in check. Though I am sure once my staple line is healed I will have a harder time, but for now it is working. But then I am at least on full liquids and only had to be on Clear Liquids for 3 days after surgery. If I was stuck having Jello and broth for two weeks I might have gone mad! Good luck! I think that we were both sleeved on the same day, Monday Dec13th, so it will be nice to have someone going through this at the same time!

I think the thing that keeps me on the right track is knowing that if I eat something I am not supposed to, I can develop a leak. I guess so far the fear has been enough to keep me in check. Though I am sure once my staple line is healed I will have a harder time, but for now it is working. But then I am at least on full liquids and only had to be on Clear Liquids for 3 days after surgery. If I was stuck having Jello and broth for two weeks I might have gone mad! Good luck! I think that we were both sleeved on the same day, Monday Dec13th, so it will be nice to have someone going through this at the same time!

Great share...thank you so much. I know using this frame of mind will help me when it is my turn.

=-)

ThatDudesMom

I completely undersatnd how you are feeling. The liquid stage is hard. I think grits are a NO NO. Try a Protein Shake or cream Soup strained. It's probably better to advace to the next phase of post op diet than to try something that is not allowed. Try chewing sugar free gum. Hang in there. I know....I know. It's soooo hard for me too.

Personally, I wasn't willing to do anything to risk complications. And, I knew from all my research that if I "cheated" during my losing stage, changing those habits were going to be more difficult once I was healed, and able to consume more.

I know it's kind of hard to believe that you will be able to eat more food further out, but believe me at 18 months I can put away a lot of junk food if I choose to do so. The decision-making process gets more difficult the further out you get, and the more relaxed your sleeve gets. I can eat 2-3 times as much as I could at 2-3 months out. I really had to focus on making new habits to ensure I will be successful long term. Gaining weight with the sleeve is very easy. We can eat around the sleeve, cheat it, and honestly we can fail it. I don't want to sound like I'm harping, but believe me, sticking to the prescribed post-op guidelines will serve you well in the future. I know liquids suck.

Enjoy the "honeymoon phase" of restriction, realize that making the best decision will have to be a lifetime effort, but you can live a life of moderation on most foods. It doesn't have to be a "diet", but making the best choices on food definitely gives us the best chance for long term success.

I completely undersatnd how you are feeling. The liquid stage is hard. I think grits are a NO NO. Try a Protein shake or cream Soup strained. It's probably better to advace to the next phase of post op diet than to try something that is not allowed. Try chewing sugar free gum. Hang in there. I know....I know. It's soooo hard for me too.

I have grits listed on my page as an okay food...I'm interested to hear from others...about grits? I am going to try Tomato Soup today. I thought I was advancing to the next step...THICK LIQUIDS is my next step. And oatmeal and Grits is on that list...along with sugar free pudding and thick Soups. I agree that I can't do anything to harm myself...AND I need to make changes now regarding my eating habits...so thank you all for the words of wisdom and advice!!! I need to be reminded.

Personally, I wasn't willing to do anything to risk complications. And, I knew from all my research that if I "cheated" during my losing stage, changing those habits were going to be more difficult once I was healed, and able to consume more.

I know it's kind of hard to believe that you will be able to eat more food further out, but believe me at 18 months I can put away a lot of junk food if I choose to do so. The decision-making process gets more difficult the further out you get, and the more relaxed your sleeve gets. I can eat 2-3 times as much as I could at 2-3 months out. I really had to focus on making new habits to ensure I will be successful long term. Gaining weight with the sleeve is very easy. We can eat around the sleeve, cheat it, and honestly we can fail it. I don't want to sound like I'm harping, but believe me, sticking to the prescribed post-op guidelines will serve you well in the future. I know liquids suck.

Enjoy the "honeymoon phase" of restriction, realize that making the best decision will have to be a lifetime effort, but you can live a life of moderation on most foods. It doesn't have to be a "diet", but making the best choices on food definitely gives us the best chance for long term success.

YOU ARE SOOOOO RIGHT....I just need to be strong and follow the restrictions more carefully. I threw the candy away...so that is gone from the house!!!

I have grits listed on my page as an okay food...I'm interested to hear from others...about grits? I am going to try Tomato Soup today. I thought I was advancing to the next step...THICK liquids is my next step. And oatmeal and Grits is on that list...along with sugar free pudding and thick Soups. I agree that I can't do anything to harm myself...AND I need to make changes now regarding my eating habits...so thank you all for the words of wisdom and advice!!! I need to be reminded.

My NUT said grits are "expandables" and that makes them a NO NO. They will not hurt your stomach, but she said they have "better" choices out there. Each NUT & Doctor are different. That's why I love this forum. We get to learn from each other. Try cream of wheat instead :)

Oh and she also said corn is a NO NO. It does not digest properly. As we all know cuz you poop it out whole :P