Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss

What should be the general weight loss w/ the VSG surgery per week? It seems as though I am still plateau with the weight. I know everyone is different but, what is the average weight loss w/ no exercise and eating 600-800 calories a regular VSG surgery diet. I need a base line to go on to make adjustments to my diet/exercise plan. Thanks.:thanks:

I've read that the average weight loss with WLS is ~2.5lb/week BUT that you absolutely MUST exercise!! Even if it isn't massively strenuous exercise (even 30 min walk will help). I'm hoping my Zumba DVD will arrive tomorrow, as I'm allowed to exercise from tomorrow onwards and given the heavy snow in my area, going for a walk isn't very inspiring at the mo - am more likely to slip over break something, LOL!

BTW congrats on the 32lb lost! tongue.gif Your body's probably just having a break as you've lost so much weight - it'll probably get going again soon, just make sure you're drinking your 64oz Water, having 60 grams of Protein and getting some exercise in.

Thanks for the reply; I haven’t been exercising because I am frustrated with pain and other issues when I walk. So weight loss surgery still needs exercising to drop at least 2 lbs a week? Hmm, I think the weight loss surgery is no different than dieting and exercising then? I think I’ve been disillusioning myself on what this surgery will do for me, this is very disappointing. Thanks for your honesty I look forward to your replies.

I've read that the average weight loss with WLS is ~2.5lb/week BUT that you absolutely MUST exercise!! Even if it isn't massively strenuous exercise (even 30 min walk will help). I'm hoping my Zumba DVD will arrive tomorrow, as I'm allowed to exercise from tomorrow onwards and given the heavy snow in my area, going for a walk isn't very inspiring at the mo - am more likely to slip over break something, LOL!

BTW congrats on the 32lb lost! tongue.gif Your body's probably just having a break as you've lost so much weight - it'll probably get going again soon, just make sure you're drinking your 64oz Water, having 60 grams of Protein and getting some exercise in.

You are right - you may have been off on the reality of this surgery. It is only a tool to help with weight loss it doesn't do it all for you unfortunately! However, if you stick with eating properly, getting your Water, and doing some exercise - the weight will come off. The good news is that unlike the past diets, you don't tend to put everything back on at each holiday and big night out. It took me about 15 months to hit my goal (loss of 146 lbs) and now I am 5 lbs under my original goal for a total loss of 151lbs so far. I had many plateaus, but in the long run, the weight always started coming off again. It's not a magic fix, but use your tool and you'll get where you want to be! Good luck.

Thanks for the reply; I haven’t been exercising because I am frustrated with pain and other issues when I walk. So weight loss surgery still needs exercising to drop at least 2 lbs a week? Hmm, I think the weight loss surgery is no different than dieting and exercising then? I think I’ve been disillusioning myself on what this surgery will do for me, this is very disappointing. Thanks for your honesty I look forward to your replies.

I was like you in the beginning. Then it just stalled as soon as I started pureed food. Now, I've picked up momentum again and have lost 2 lbs. I live in MI and we are snowy and cold. So, I use my Wii Fit and do exercises on that like the steps etc... since I can't do any kind of weights yet. Hang in there :)

Not sure how long it has been since your surgery but at 8 weeks my doctor told me I needed to bump up my calories to 1000-1200 per day or else I would stop losing weight because my body was in starvation mode. They also told me that 1.5 pounds per week after the first few weeks is what they strive for in a good healthy weight loss.

I am a very streaky loser.

TOM week is always a 0 Loss.

The week after is usually about 1-2 Lbs Loss.

2 Weeks after is about 4-5 Lbs. Loss.

Week 3 is about the same as week 2.

Just something I've noticed as I've just gone through my 3rd month sleeved. Of course this can always change over time.

Everyone's journey is going to be different than anyone else.

One thing I notice in your reply is that you are curious if this is no different than regular diet and exercise. That's both a yes and a no. My weight loss is *always* optimal if I eat low carb and making sure I'm getting my workouts in. Especially walking...

However, I'll tell you - without the sleeve I could eat 4 or 5 times more than I do now. Probably even more... so really that's its only function. To help me eat less and keep my hunger controlled - it will not do my treadmill for me nor will it keep certain foods from making my menu. Everything else is up to me alone.

All the best to you. Everyday is a learning curve. We are all in this together! Keep reading up here and asking questions. I personally think you'll come to love your sleeve!

First let me say, that I am definitely not the poster child for WLS. I eat right 90% of the time, BUT I have not been good about exercise. I was fortunate to have made goal in 9 months. That being said, I did find that my activity level has increased - I am up and down the stairs at home a lot more than I used to be. So, I do get more activity in, just not structed exercise.

If you simply cannot exercise due to pain, talk with your doctor. Maybe they can suggest ways to get moving that do not cause pain. How long did it take for the 32 pounds to come off? Looks like you are 1/3 of the way to your goal - you must be doing something right!

As Diva said - WLS isn't a magic pill ... but it is a tool that helps me finally succeed at maintaining a healthy weight.

Best of luck. If you need a friend or advice, please feel free to message me.

Yes the sleeve is a tool but I have noticed some different things since the surgery.

First let me say I lost 50 pounds pre op and it took from JAN to Nov to lose it. Now that I have been sleeved even when I don't see loss on the scale I see loss in my body. The week after my surgery I noticed it in the belly, even though I was losing pre op, after the surgery my belly fat changed and became Jello like and has gone down. I have lost a lot in my face, neck and shoulders since the surgery and this week I lost my boobs! I am going to have to find a new bra that holds things up. When I look down I see just loose shirt material where they used to stand out.

So rememeber your body moves things around even if you don't see it on the scale. You should always keep in mind that your tool will not make you lose faster than if you were taking in 600 to 800 calories without it. The one great thing is, now you have the will power EVERY DAY that you did not have before the surgery. Before the surgery you could say screw it, I am hungry today and eat more, or splurge, now we cant even if we wanted to, there is just no room. With out the screw it days, you will lose more in the long run and KEEP IT OFF!

Thanks for the wonderful replies and Happy New Year. So far Ive lost around 20 lbs since 10-29, I think that equals to around 2 months. It seems to be a failiure some times, I think support would be helpful. I'll keep posting my progress. Upward and onward!

Good morning VSgirl - I don't know what the average loss is per week, but my average caloric daily intake was 675 when I reached goal right about 5 months out. I exercised very little. ( I know ME; I knew that if I became an exercise nut for a few months....I'd get bored/burned out quickly and stop....then what happens?? Would I re-gain? I know I've heard about RNY patients that do just that and then they start putting the lbs back on. I know their surgery is totally different, and I think OUR surgery is superior, just my humble opinion, but just in case!)

Anyway, I am most concerned about my arms, so I attended an exercise class 1x per week for four weeks. It was offered by a physical therapist that works for local bariatric surgeon. I wanted to get some ideas, to see if there was something I could do at home. I discovered I like the weighted ball and the band, both are good for my arms and the weighted ball is actually a pretty good over all workout. I got both for the house. I do one or both about four times a week. Both are fast and fun, I can do 'on the go'.

I'm 8 lbs below goal and nobody can say I got there because I'm an exercise guru!! :) I made some life style changes.....mostly the way I 'snack' - cutting chips, most bread, cold Cereal.....just eliminated a few things OUT of my diet...I did this MONTHS before surgery. I did things I KNEW could be forever changes. I hope this helps and isn't toooo wordy!

What should be the general weight loss w/ the VSG surgery per week? It seems as though I am still plateau with the weight. I know everyone is different but, what is the average weight loss w/ no exercise and eating 600-800 calories a regular VSG surgery diet. I need a base line to go on to make adjustments to my diet/exercise plan. Thanks.:thanks:

Seriously? I was averaging 675 cal when I reached goal at just under 5 months. My dietitian told me to increase my caloric intake to between 800 and 1200 to "maintain". She said I'd have to 'find what worked for me". I'm telling you, increasing the calories was NOT easy....who knew THIS would be the hard part??!! I've been working at this since the first week of Nov. and it seems that 975 - 1050 calories is what works for me.

I am not sure I'd have reached goal and certainly not as quickly had I been eating 1000 - 1200 calories the entire time. At 8 weeks out......there is NO way I could have been taking in that many calories unless I was drinking chocolate milk shakes instead of Protein drinks. Cream gravy made with whole milk instead of 98% FF soup!!! At 8 weeks out I did good to eat 1.5 of food at a time!! I got ALL my Protein in from about week three and starting at month 2 I got it ALL from food. I have never had a hair problem and I have NEVER thrown up.....this has been disgustingly easy and healthy. If he said up to 1200 at 8 weeks, WHAT will he suggest when you are at 6 months and what will he want you taking in when you are maintaining??!! That would be my question? I was on a 1800 calorie a day diet one time several years ago before surgery, which is not really abnormal for a 'normal' person.

Not sure how long it has been since your surgery but at 8 weeks my doctor told me I needed to bump up my calories to 1000-1200 per day or else I would stop losing weight because my body was in starvation mode. They also told me that 1.5 pounds per week after the first few weeks is what they strive for in a good healthy weight loss.

Hi everyone. I was glad to find this site and wish you all good luck. I am 6 weeks into my sleeve procedure and have only lot 25 pounds, and nothing in the past two weeks. I am totally disappointed. I do not eat much (a little chicken and fish) and still suplement with a Protein Shake eery day. Why, ofh why, am I not losing more weight??? I hate that for the last two weeks - nothing! I have not started excercising yet, but plan to start again soon. I see my nurse on Monday, an I hope she has some promising mews for my as to why this is happening.

Hi everyone. I was glad to find this site and wish you all good luck. I am 6 weeks into my sleeve procedure and have only lot 25 pounds, and nothing in the past two weeks. I am totally disappointed. I do not eat much (a little chicken and fish) and still suplement with a Protein shake eery day. Why, ofh why, am I not losing more weight??? I hate that for the last two weeks - nothing! I have not started excercising yet, but plan to start again soon. I see my nurse on Monday, an I hope she has some promising mews for my as to why this is happening.

Hi Just Fran

I am in the same boat as you. I am 5 weeks out and have lost 21.5 lbs. In a normal situation, I would think that it was great, but after having gone through so much with this surgery, I am disappointed. I lost the first 17lbs in my second week, and in the last 3 weeks, I have only lost 4.5 lbs. I have had to work so hard my whole life, and I was hoping that this would be different. I did post something a week ago or so, and got alot of good feedback, especially that our bodies are in shock and have to adjust. I am hoping that is right, and the weight will start dropping off. I am struggling to get in the minimum 600 calories in my diet, and the 70 g of Protein that I am suppose to have. I am hoping that as I can eat a little more, it will help the weight loss. Best of luck to you and keep me posted on what your nurse says.

I've lost just short of 50 lbs in 30 weeks.... with sporadic exercise.....falling back a little over the festive season as still fiesta here in Spain today and the local pool is shut, but all in all I am still very pleased with the rate of my weight loss.