Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Use of Alli/Xenical/Orlistat post surgery?

Just my personal opinion: Our livers are tasked double time during the rapid weight loss phase, with the liver issues warnings from the FDA on these drugs, I would not be willing to take it.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/ucm213038.htm

I honestly don't think it's necessary. We eat such little fat, and the whole side effect of anal leakage is one thing that would keep me from taking these drugs. I mean it's bad enough post-op to follow the whole "never trust a fart" mindset, but to add a drug that causes fat evacuation via our bowels is a bit too much for me. Our bodies need fat to function properly. I think a lot of times people can't really believe that we'll be successful with just the surgery tool until we really see it for ourselves. I thought I would have to "diet" for the rest of my life, or even to maintain, but it's been very effortless for me.

unsure.gifOh boy, I have to be honest with you I would stay away from any of those if they worked none of us would have gotten sleeved or be in the process. I have a huge problem with weight loss pharmaceuticals are the prey on woman's low self esteem and fear. I don't know your situation on whether you have been sleeved yet or not but if you have you need to trust yourself and the decision you made. I have tried everything including foreign substances that claim to tell your brain that you are full and all I got from it was tachycardia, save your heart, your liver and your kidneys. Seriously.

I was wondering if it's viable to use any of the above medicines post weight loss surgery?

This medication simply reduces the efficiency of fat absorption in the small intestine and therefore helps with weight loss because you don't absorb fat and therefore have fat in your stool hence the smelly oily discharge they speak of during the disclaimers at the end of the TV ad. The long-term weight loss statistics on this drug are very poor and they can cause problems also with Vitamin deficiencies of the fat soluble vitamins: A,D,E and K. With a good plication you shouldn't need these medications.

Orlistat is the generic name of this drug.

Xenical is the brand name of the prescription strength of this drug.

Alli is the brand name of the over-the-counter, lower strength version of this drug.

Brad Watkins MD

I was wondering if it's viable to use any of the above medicines post weight loss surgery?

Why would you want -- or need -- to?? :blink: