Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone taken an appetite suppressant post op?

Edit: I need to proof read my posts. I spelled suppressant wrong in the title and now in my post. Sorry I am not all there.

Ok, I know everyone talks about how nice it is to have no hunger but I am not one of those people. For about the last 5 weeks my hunger has been out of control. I get full really fast but I have these enormous cravings. I think it started when I stopped being so carb conscious so it is my own fault. I just wonder if anyone else has tried any appetite suppressants to help them get through the head cravings. I do fine when I eat my meals because I eat so little but I have been grazing and have only lost 3 pounds in 5-6 weeks. I get really bad PMS and my cravings along with my depression are out of this world. That lasts around 10 days...heck that is almost half the month, it is insane. I was on an antidepressant for almost a year now (after I lost two of my four grandparents within a month last holiday season) but i stopped taking them around 2 weeks ago because I don't want to be on them forever especially because of the sexual side effects. They make me feel like im a dried up old prune instead of a normal 33 year old who adores her husband. I am doing fine without the antidepressants probably because I am exercising and that helps my overall mood.

Anyways, I really feel like I want to lose the last 15 pounds I have on my agenda. I was low BMI to start with and though I have lost around 42 pounds I dont want to have paid almost 7k for a surgery that I don't make the most of and get to my goal, especially since I am so close to it already and it is not a really tiny number. If I hit my goal I will be like 5 pounds under the "normal" range according to BMI. I feel like I probably get just around the amount of calories a day to keep me at a steady weight. I don't OVER indulge, I just am not saving any calories toward weight loss right now.

I have been looking up appetite suppressants, I don't want to do phentermine or anything prescription just something over the counter to help me not feel as hungry.

I sorta feel like an idiot posting this and I should probably just go back to the basics and start a low carb diet to get rid of my cravings but dangit I don't know if I am up to that right now.

:(

any advice? Suggestion? am I all alone with my hunger? I know it is not my sleeve because I have recognized that i get full really fast and eat around 8 oz of slider foods and only around 4-5 oz of dense Protein foods.

I stopped taking that about 4-5 weeks ago too. I have been thinking taking it again even though my tummy isn't burning like it needs any sort of PPI.

I'd take some PPIs. Sometimes when you have extra acid your body will have you crave food so there is something to absorb some of that. I wouldn't do an OTC drugs, most of thsoe are very bad for your heart.

Got nothing to say on the topic of appetite suppressants, but as far as losing those last 15 lbs, how about running? Before the surgery, I'd always run if I was desperate to lose weight fast.

So, from what I see, your appetite seems to have spiked at the same time you stopped taking your PPI. It seems like that functions as somewhat of an appetite suppressant (from what I've read). Maybe before you try appetite suppressants, you should try the PPI and see how you feel... just a thought. :-)

I agree that you should go back on the PPI and see if the "hunger pains" go away or subside. MIght just be what you will need for awhile longer.

I am running and exercising only I get hungrier when i work out, so it is a double edged sword. I will pick up the PPI tomorrow and try that first. I feel like I am being a debbie downer but not everyone gets rid of hunger with the sleeve. Of course I would have to be the one in 500 that keeps their hunger. LOL naw im not that down and despondent. I will try the suggestions and keep positive. Thanks.;)

I am running and exercising only I get hungrier when i work out, so it is a double edged sword. I will pick up the PPI tomorrow and try that first. I feel like I am being a debbie downer but not everyone gets rid of hunger with the sleeve. Of course I would have to be the one in 500 that keeps their hunger. LOL naw im not that down and despondent. I will try the suggestions and keep positive. Thanks.;)

No, you are definitely not 1 in 500, I also experience hunger if I don't eat for 3-4 hours. Granted, 2 grapes will easily hold me over for an hour, but still. Yesterday I had a Protein bar for Breakfast at 10 or so and then about 3/4 cup of burrito mix (rice, Beans, beef, corn, etc) for lunch at around 1 and we walked around all day shopping....then around 6 pm I started feeling really hungry, cranky, and eventually shaky. I just had to eat right there and then. Of course, once I finally got my hands on some food, I was STUFFED after 3/4 cup....

I'd definitely go back on your PPI before taking an OTC appetite suppressant. If you think the endless cravings and head hunger is from carb eating, then try the 5 day pouch test to get that aspect under control. You might now have burning, but if your stomach is overproducing acid, you don't want the reflux to start. It takes a few days for PPIs to generally kick in so it might not help immediately.

I honestly don't think the appetite suppressant such as dexatrim, metabolife, or slimquick will really give you the "mental" break you need from hunger. It's just going to speed everything up, and then you'll grow immune to the effects, and be back at square one.

Hey Girl-

I am very new to this site but boy I am glad I joined. I had my sleeve one month ago today and everything you said is exactly the reason I am reaching out. I question all of the time if my hunger is out of control! LOL I do not even know the exact amount of calories I should be aiming for so I keep it under 1000 but like you...I am hungry all of the time. I get full fast but 2-3 hrs later Im ready to eat. I have friends with the bypass that tell me their docs told them they should be eating several times a day so as long as you are not gaining I think you are fine. I too was on an anti-depressant that helped curb the appetite so if you recently stopped that could contribute. I was also wondering if I am alone in the fact that I "cheated" with some of my time frame restrictions. In other words I advanced my post op diet as I felt necessary and as tolerated mainly because I just couldn't handle Protein shakes and liquid anymore! Any thought on that?

Edit: I need to proof read my posts. I spelled suppressant wrong in the title and now in my post. Sorry I am not all there.

Ok, I know everyone talks about how nice it is to have no hunger but I am not one of those people. For about the last 5 weeks my hunger has been out of control. I get full really fast but I have these enormous cravings. I think it started when I stopped being so carb conscious so it is my own fault. I just wonder if anyone else has tried any appetite suppressants to help them get through the head cravings. I do fine when I eat my meals because I eat so little but I have been grazing and have only lost 3 pounds in 5-6 weeks. I get really bad PMS and my cravings along with my depression are out of this world. That lasts around 10 days...heck that is almost half the month, it is insane. I was on an antidepressant for almost a year now (after I lost two of my four grandparents within a month last holiday season) but i stopped taking them around 2 weeks ago because I don't want to be on them forever especially because of the sexual side effects. They make me feel like im a dried up old prune instead of a normal 33 year old who adores her husband. I am doing fine without the antidepressants probably because I am exercising and that helps my overall mood.

Anyways, I really feel like I want to lose the last 15 pounds I have on my agenda. I was low BMI to start with and though I have lost around 42 pounds I dont want to have paid almost 7k for a surgery that I don't make the most of and get to my goal, especially since I am so close to it already and it is not a really tiny number. If I hit my goal I will be like 5 pounds under the "normal" range according to BMI. I feel like I probably get just around the amount of calories a day to keep me at a steady weight. I don't OVER indulge, I just am not saving any calories toward weight loss right now.

I have been looking up appetite suppressants, I don't want to do phentermine or anything prescription just something over the counter to help me not feel as hungry.

I sorta feel like an idiot posting this and I should probably just go back to the basics and start a low carb diet to get rid of my cravings but dangit I don't know if I am up to that right now.

any advice? Suggestion? am I all alone with my hunger? I know it is not my sleeve because I have recognized that i get full really fast and eat around 8 oz of slider foods and only around 4-5 oz of dense Protein foods.

I AM HUNGRY TOO!!!

I don't think my PPI is working (prescription generic prevacid). For the past month, I've been losing/gaining the same 3 lbs. A couple of days ago I went back to tracking my food and found that I'm eating 1200-1500 cals per day, and only exercising 3-4 times a week. Probably not enough exercise.

This hunger/empty feeling I get is every couple of hours, and if I wait too long, I get nauseous and I eat too fast and that doesn't feel good in the tummy. Popping gaviscon inbetween meals helps alittle but not completely.

I just don't want to be hungry! At all!

I have feelings of disappointment and regret, that for the rest of my life I will always be struggling with food because of this hunger.

I do go back to my PCP tomorrow to get my lab results and will discuss the PPI with them and probably try a different one. Just not feeling to hopeful that there's an alternative out there for me.

Oh thank god. I thought I was the only one struggling with this and that I was all alone and deffective. Reading the above posts are confirmation that I am not the only one struggling. It got me all teary eyed so thank you thank you thank you all who responded.

I had mentioned trying my PPI again last week but wasn't really sold on it helping my hunger but dang it can't hurt to take it for a while longer and see if it will work. I am not sure if it is true hunger or stress/hormonal hunger. I am pretty sure it is just because food sounds great most of the time. Heck I wouldn't have been overweight to start with if I didn't like food. I picked up a book someone on this site recommended it was called The End Of Overeating and it talked about how foods are processed up in the attempt to make us crave it more and more so that in turn it makes big profits. It is a good book so now when I am eating I understand exactly what is going in and why my body wants more and that in turn makes me feel more guilty lol.

I will try everyones suggestions. I am heading to the gym right now to push myself and I will pick up the PPI on my way home. Thank you all again. I was a little tired and emotional last night and finally laid out my dirty little hunger secret, I felt bad after I did it because I was afraid it would convince people on the fence that the surgery wont work and that just isn't the case. I know right now for me it is a combo of things including my own choices that are not helping me out. Thanks for not crucifying me :)

Regarding the antidepressants: A few years ago, I had my gyno write me a script for some. I was kinda whacky at the time (I think that's about the time the whole peri-menopause thing started), but the real reason I wanted them, which I told him, was to see if they'd help me get my head in the right place to lose weight. After doing a lot of research, I asked for Wellbutrin.

With most antidepressants, one of the major side effects is loss of libido. Wellbutrin has the opposite effect--it can actually increase your drive. Well--it worked both ways for me, it helped with the food issues (it's also used to help smokers stop smoking), and definitely increased my libido. Unfortunately, two weeks after starting it, I broke out in hives, which I later found out is a fairly common allergic reaction to it.

Sooooo, that's something you might consider trying... it could help solve three problems at once for you! ;)

Hi there! I think you said that you have a lot of head hunger. I'm confused how an appetite suppressant will cure head hunger. Perhaps you need to journal your thoughts and feelings and figure out what is it that is making you want to turn to food to fill that need. Postop I personally want to avoid taking any pills or putting any drugs into my body that aren't necessary.